Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

15 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Have several cams out all around the property, but haven't had a shooter on cam, for about 10 days now... Not very encouraging. Trying to be optimistic that they'll come...

seems to always be the story this time of year, I wouldn't worry. I'm still seeing them in some spots, but it's 10pm or 4am. That will change soon.

We're getting the bigger bucks on cam, but not in light, at least not in NY. Hard for us to do because where we think they are, are on another property. Tough spot to be this time of year. Pressure is kicking in, too, as we're noticing.

14 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

It's not for lack of trying! I remember how frustrating it was when I was taking my daughter out for youth season. You feel a lot of pressure to put them on a deer, so they stay interested in hunting, and it sucks when it doesn't happen. Stay positive and make the time you spend in the blind together as enjoyable as you can, deer or no deer. Funny, it reminds me of a time when I was in a blind with my daughter. We were having some laughs and she said, "Dad, some girls bond with their Dad over sports, but we bond over hunting." I will never forget that! :cool:

I've taken my boys out multiple times for deer and turkey just to hang with me and we've never seen a thing. They have all told me that they cherish the time with dad to talk, and that's all that ever matter to me. But yeah I can see how the pressure changes when they have the gun in their hands.

The barometric pressure also looks pretty lousy after today and tomorrow - which are both high. Wed through Wed of next week the pressure does not go above 30 in except for a few hours Saturday morning, and just barely. I'll be curious if people bring up "lull" alot then. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Well I'm back home empty handed.walked my ass off today that's for sure.had 2 guys and 1 dog show up this morning then the 2ndd guy came back and brought his dog(different from first).walked another hour and a half with no luck and no buck seen.honestly if we bumped him again we probably wouldn't have seen him,holy crap it was thick my arms are all torn up.looks like I'm chalking this one up as a loss.hope he makes it but if not the fox and yotes will have a feast.this blows

It's the part of this sport that sucks the most. You did more than most, and there isn't a hunter on this board who hasn't lost one. And if you quote me and say that you haven't, you're either lying or haven't hunted long enough.

Watch for crows, if you have guts, I hate to say it but he will be dead eventually.

• Like 2

It's not for lack of trying! I remember how frustrating it was when I was taking my daughter out for youth season. You feel a lot of pressure to put them on a deer, so they stay interested in hunting, and it sucks when it doesn't happen. Stay positive and make the time you spend in the blind together as enjoyable as you can, deer or no deer. Funny, it reminds me of a time when I was in a blind with my daughter. We were having some laughs and she said, "Dad, some girls bond with their Dad over sports, but we bond over hunting." I will never forget that! :cool:

We always have a good time in stand wether we see anything or not. I’m not a super serious hunter and even less serious when she’s with me. I run a if we ain’t having fun it in the woods then why are we out here program. For the most part I let her decide how long we stay out and what we shoot. This weekend being her first time being the Hunter she has the run of the show. I offer my advise and the times I think we should hunt until. Surprisingly being the hunter she didn’t pull the plug once and we put in a lot of hours and had some cool experiences together.

She will be back out November 5th with the cross bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Moho81 said:

We always have a good time in stand wether we see anything or not. I’m not a super serious hunter and even less serious when she’s with me. I run a if we ain’t having fun it in the woods then why are we out here program. For the most part I let her decide how long we stay out and what we shoot. This weekend being her first time being the Hunter she has the run of the show. I offer my advise and the times I think we should hunt until. Surprisingly being the hunter she didn’t pull the plug once and we put in a lot of hours and had some cool experiences together.

She will be back out November 5th with the cross bow.

sounds like a success. My least favorite memories hunting as a kid was being cold in late november and early decmeber wearing clothes that didn't fit.

Bang... Flop. Great Nephew got his first.  He's friggin pumped. He started tearing up. Deer was already in the field.  Made it to a round bale for him to rest on.  120 yd quartering away shot. He hit a little high, but the shot was downhill. Clipped the spine and exited tight to the opposite shoulder.  That's his dad ( my nephew) in the pic.  It's as close to the deer as he can get as he's highly allergic to the fur. 

IMG_20221010_153053002_HDR.jpg

• Like 28

In for a PM sit at my fall plot. This stand is really a gun stand but I’ve had such routine pics at night within bow range I figured I’d give it a go. At the very least it’s a nice observational sit as I can see most of the orchard.

It’s way warmer than I thought facing west with the sun and I could have easily 2 layers less on me, but maybe that’ll pay off after 6.

Beats work!

• Like 2

Regretting this hunt and stand choice. Weather is supposed to warm up this week so I thought low 50’s would be good but damn it’s hot in the sun. My best chance is the last 45min.

Normally don’t want any wind, but the occasional breeze is nice but even the wind is against me and swirling.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

Regretting this hunt and stand choice. Weather is supposed to warm up but damn it’s hot in the sun. My best chance is the last 45min.

Normally don’t want any wind, but the occasional breeze is nice lol

I contemplated one this evening, but same 65-70 degrees here. I'll grill a porterhouse and have some beers for the Chiefs game instead

• Like 2

sounds like a success. My least favorite memories hunting as a kid was being cold in late november and early decmeber wearing clothes that didn't fit.

She’s 80% the reason why I built the enclosed stand. This way we have heat and don’t have to worry about how cold or wet it is. She doesn’t need much for special winter gear. A 4-5 hour sit on a cold day is easy now for her.

The other 20% before you even ask is because I was also tired of doing dark to dark sits in temperatures in the teens. Or 40 degrees and raining which is worse in my opinion. I still like to sit out in the elements because the enclosed blind isn’t the same feeling but when it gets bad I can retreat to the enclosed and be comfortable.

• Like 7

She’s 80% the reason why I built the enclosed stand. This way we have heat and don’t have to worry about how cold or wet it is. She doesn’t need much for special winter gear. A 4-5 hour sit on a cold day is easy now for her.

The other 20% before you even ask is because I was also tired of doing dark to dark sits in temperatures in the teens. Or 40 degrees and raining which is worse in my opinion. I still like to sit out in the elements because the enclosed blind isn’t the same feeling but when it gets bad I can retreat to the enclosed and be comfortable.

Blind 6'x4'? So triple twelves every 16"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

Going in the morning to my gun spot.  Tactacam needs new batteries and the food plot on the private that borders was packed full of deer tonight.

they logged all the way around it on the private and has always been a good bedding area.  Usually don’t take a doe in this spot but if a good shot is there I will probably take it.  It’ll be my last sit until October 27th then I’m off for a month. 

• Like 1

Well shows what I know. 10 doe, a button and a scrubby 5.

Would have arrowed 3 of the doe but they never came within bow range. Frustration of hunting a plot I guess. First doe might have winded me too as the winds were swirling and at about 90 yards she stopped dead. Stood there for like 4 minutes before blowing and taking off. No matter how hard you try you can’t beat a does nose. Sun was dropping so thermals didn’t help. Funny to see the scrub buck chase the doe around too. She wanted nothing to do with ass.

• Like 3

Well shows what I know. 10 doe, a button and a scrubby 5.

Would have arrowed 3 of the doe but they never came within bow range. Frustration of hunting a plot I guess. First doe might have winded me too as the winds were swirling and at about 90 yards she stopped dead. Stood there for like 4 minutes before blowing and taking off. No matter how hard you try you can’t beat a does nose. Sun was dropping so thermals didn’t help. Funny to see the scrub buck chase the doe around too. She wanted nothing to do with ass.

90 yards, in a tree, and deer blowing? That seems odd regardless of wind. Maybe she caught you moving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro