Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

It's costs me $125 per cape for tanning. It will cost him this plus the price of a new cape. Large, early season, shorter haired capes are the most sought after and expensive to replace. A cape of this size can easily go for $150-200 green. Should be able to get it for cheaper than that though.

I think I’d just go euro or skull Plate rather than have 2 bucks mounted into one. What if you end up with a double throat patch or different coloring? Feels weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I’d just go euro or skull Plate rather than have 2 bucks mounted into one. What if you end up with a double throat patch or different coloring? Feels weird

They just take the skull cap and put it on a new cape I don’t think they sew them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Funny you mention this. I picked up a really nice spare this weekend that will probably get used on this other buck. It does have a cool double patch. I'm hoping to find him a different one and keep this one for myself to use on a deadhead I found.

received_803015310817688.jpeg

IMG_20221009_135034802.jpg

• Like 8

They just take the skull cap and put it on a new cape I don’t think they sew them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I know the process. I’m saying I personally don’t like the idea of a different bucks cape used with antlers from a different buck. But obviously lots of customers request it

10 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

It's costs me $125 per cape for tanning. It will cost him this plus the price of a new cape. Large, early season, shorter haired capes are the most sought after and expensive to replace. A cape of this size can easily go for $150-200 green. Should be able to get it for cheaper than that though.

Do you prefer to cape the deer yourself for clients mounts or are most clients caping skills good enough it doesn’t add much more work to the mounting process?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Do you prefer to cape the deer yourself for clients mounts or are most clients caping skills good enough it doesn’t add much more work to the mounting process?

I would MUCH rather skin it myself if given the option and definately wouldn't want someone that's inexperienced to try to do the delicate skinning on the face!  When someone drops off a head in a contractor bag, you never know what you will be getting. I prefer to take the neck down right to the atlas at the base of the skull. Must people get lazy with the skinning and tend to leave the entire neck attached, way too much meat on the hide or the brisket cut off short.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Wow what an exciting hunt.  This guy was within 60-70yds cross wind but good wind for over an hour.  Thick and I never saw him.  But have photos coming my way and departing after dark.   It was close.  On my feet the whole time.  Pics coming and going.  Lol  and a split g2   

445A48D6-EFB5-40D0-B260-8AEF74DEA057.png

54AD664E-2191-4AE0-93BA-37B5D9170F1F.png

Moog don't you know deer especially big bucks do not move in warm weather and with a big moon!! This must not have happened!!

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Moog don't you know deer especially big bucks do not move in warm weather and with a big moon!! This must not have happened!!

haha nobody says they don't move. But they do move less. Hunting is generally a game of odds but of course you can't kill them behind your keyboard. 

4 hours ago, Belo said:

Maybe they prefer dove to irish spring now? Women can be finicky like that.

Ya that double X can be hard to figure out , so I don’t bother . If things get desperate I’ll try bait plots and cell cams . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Fletch that’s the challenge.  Only superior hunters can get them to move under those conditions.   Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Belo said:

PM for details. I have a sweet mineral lick corn pile setup that is sure to score!

That’s ok a guy nearby dumped his leftover apple cores and peelings at the edge of the woods 50 yards from one of my stands … must be applesauce time . 

025C3DFE-CE8F-4E9C-8161-0734A6A92030.jpeg

• Like 1

Big boys were on their feet tonight. Saw 3 120 or better bucks on my way to work and one easily 140class.  Not to mention a bunch of other really decent bucks.   One almost got a ride with me if he went any further into the road.

Does your work involve paint fumes?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Does your work involve paint fumes?

Nope but I’ve only seen a handful of bucks that size to know how big they were. Also drive through a bunch of really good ag ground on my way to work. Also have an hr drive so it’s not all close together.  

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 2

Nope but I’ve only seen a handful of bucks that size to know how big they were. Also drive through a bunch of really good ag ground on my way to work. Also have an hr drive so it’s not all close together.  

I’ve seen 6 or 7 when driving in 2022. Is that good? Half of them Only because I stare in the woods with one eye the whole time

3 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I’ve seen 6 or 7 when driving in 2022. Is that good? Half of them Only because I stare in the woods with one eye the whole time

It’s open river ground so not hard to see them driving.   There’s 2 bucks I see in the same field every night both are about 100” 8 pts.  

• Like 1