Who carries every day? What do you carry?

I have been seriously thinking about starting to carry. I currently don't. I have been running a Gas Station for 15 years now and luckily I have never had a problem but that doesn't mean I won't. Both of the pistols I own are full frame and would be very hard and uncomfortable to conceal. I have been looking at the Ruger LCP .380 (I have shot this before and don't really care for it) The Smith and Wesson Body Guard .380 (never shot one) and the Sig Sauer P238 .380. (I have fired this gun before and loved it but it is double the price of the others) The Sig is a really nice piece and could be used at the range as well. The other two seem like inaccurate personal protection throw away guns. Although I have never fired the body guard, maybe it is really nice. Any suggestions? Any info on the body guard?

Glock 19 in winter and S/W Bodyguard in summer. I had the LCP first as my summer gun but didn't like it. The bodyguard is the same size but much better quality. It also has a integrated laser and much better sights. I used to carry the Glock 26 but that is still too big for summer.

Glock 19 in winter and S/W Bodyguard in summer. I had the LCP first as my summer gun but didn't like it. The bodyguard is the same size but much better quality. It also has a integrated laser and much better sights. I used to carry the Glock 26 but that is still too big for summer.

how did you get a carriers on LI Pete?

I don't carry every day, sometimes it isn't practical.  When I do, it could be my S&W 37, S&W Shield 9mm, Keltec P32 or my new S&W 642.

Each one fits a different clothing/situational criteria.

Ankle.....37

Pocket......warm weather, light clothes P32. Cold or heavier garb 642

Any time of year with a coat, sweater, untucked shirt..........Shield

Take it for what its worth.  Light is the only way to go for me..........YMMV

glock 23. Right size and caliber in my opinion. I plan to pick up an lcp for those times where the compact is still too big. I do not carry every day.

i'd recommend an lc9 if you're a big enough guy to handle the kick from the small frame gun vs an lcp though. Most who don't shoot a lot cannot.

Edited by Belo

Gun,holster,belt cover garment. It's a system with the right parts bigger guns can be carried.

Today there are plenty of compact and subcompact 9mm and .40 cal that I think would serve you better,many have been mentioned above. Karh, SW Shield ,baby Glocks, the Rugars ,there are more but trying to keep it simpler .

Visit a gun shop.

Btw I have a LCP it ok for what it is, but I found the finger tip extension and Hogues Handall grip really makes a differance . I would not pick it as a first line defense against armed robbers though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151194422/hogue-handall-slip-on-grip-sleeve-for-ruger-lcp-rubber

Gun,holster,belt cover garment. It's a system with the right parts bigger guns can be carried.

Today there are plenty of compact and subcompact 9mm and .40 cal that I think would serve you better,many have been mentioned above. Karh, SW Shield ,baby Glocks, the Rugars ,there are more but trying to keep it simpler .

Visit a gun shop.

Btw I have a LCP it ok for what it is, but I found the finger tip extension and Hogues Handall grip really makes a differance . I would not pick it as a first line defense against armed robbers though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151194422/hogue-handall-slip-on-grip-sleeve-for-ruger-lcp-rubber

I have the LCP as well and it is a nice compact carry gun, but I think if you have to start adding stuff to it to make it bigger and more comfortable you should really look into a compact that is slightly bigger and more comfortable to shoot from the start......

Edited by jjb4900

Absolutely true, as long as you know exactly where your day will take you.  If all of a sudden you get a curve ball right down the chute, what you gonna do??

Lets say it is 25 outside and you're dressed in a heavy jacket and have your gun in a belt slide holster, covered by the jacket of course.  Well now you decide to hit a restaurant with your lady friend.  Are you going to sit there with your coat on?

OK, lets say you have a sweater on covering your piece with a light jacket on.  Sounds better but hey, now you MUST keep that sweater on all the time.

How about this:  Your dressed light, an un-tucked shirt over your gun, holstered on your belt still. You stop for a bite to eat (or you went to the bank etc.) and you run into and old girl friend who wants to give you a hug, now what?

It isn't always easy. 

Pocket carry or ankle works best for me, generally.  I really don't know how guys can lug a big 1911 or some such gun around all the time like they say they do..............plus the darn things yanking your drawers down. :fie: 

I know a great holster and belt make things MUCH easier!! 

I have had a carry permit since 1975. I carried everything you can think of during the almost 40 years of having my permit. You may laugh but I now carry just about everywhere my Ruger LCR 22 mag with crimson trace sights. Very concealable, nice and light, and can see in the dark.   Makes my day..... I can crank out 6 rounds in probably a second and a half so its credible...

A gun that is too big and sits at home in the safe is NFG also.

that's exactly what I'm saying.....I'd rather have a small comfortable carry gun than one that is too big to carry that I can't get out quick enough if the need should arise....I'd much rather be able to pull a gun out of my front pocket than have to reach under my coat and and try to get it out of a holster.

Edited by jjb4900