Live from the butcher shop 2022

518BowSlayer

Can't remember if we did one of these threads last year or not.

Anyway, time to cut up the 2 doe I shot. Been hanging in the deer fridge for 11 days. Picked up a meat bandsaw for $80 a few weeks ago. Completely unnecessary but too good a deal to pass up. Got my father in law in the same stand right now where I shot these 2 doe so hopefully I'm just making room for his!b79de8ec31ec3d17612fd0cda6dbb29f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Can't remember if we did one of these threads last year or not.

Anyway, time to cut up the 2 doe I shot. Been hanging in the deer fridge for 11 days. Picked up a meat bandsaw for $80 a few weeks ago. Completely unnecessary but too good a deal to pass up. Got my father in law in the same stand right now where I shot these 2 doe so hopefully I'm just making room for his!b79de8ec31ec3d17612fd0cda6dbb29f.jpg

Looking good Ryan. You definitely got a good deal on the saw.  We sold ours a few yrs ago. 

I'm thinking about selling the hollymatic patty machine. Only gets used once a yr to make patties for a after season hunting party. 

What brand chamber vac is that? Mine is over 30 yrs old and needs lots of work. Plus parts are incredibly expensive for it. 

• Like 2

Looking good Ryan. You definitely got a good deal on the saw.  We sold ours a few yrs ago. 
I'm thinking about selling the hollymatic patty machine. Only gets used once a yr to make patties for a after season hunting party. 
What brand chamber vac is that? Mine is over 30 yrs old and needs lots of work. Plus parts are incredibly expensive for it. 
It's an avid armor. Had it about a year now and it's SO much better than a food saver

9 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

It's an avid armor. Had it about a year now and it's SO much better than a food saver

Don't I know it.  We've used a chamber vac for 25 yrs, and it was old when we got it. The lid cracked from old age. New lid is $1400, lol.  Not worth putting that kind of money in a old machine, so we made a lid. But now there other major stuff wrong with the it.  Been using food saver types the past couple years, and we hate em.  Bags are way more expensive and just don't work as well. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, johnplav said:

Mmmm doe backstrap + tenderloin.  And apparently I caught liver too… didn’t notice while I was gutting.  Liver, bacon, and onion sandwiches this week! 

B72E5AEC-59C8-4FF8-BF4C-0F99159EA803.jpeg

DBA87386-735E-4CD9-9CB6-D79B0396FF3B.jpeg

Looks like a CutCo knife. My cousin used to sell them, and I received a few.

135lb doe hindquarter (after 3.5 days in the deer fridge)
B8379956-ABE9-4236-984F-F0938F16D7CC.thumb.jpeg.ef23d6d0f143dc4132befe942e5d5750.jpeg
17C63D5A-07A8-4AB2-B38E-59FFA5D168CF.thumb.jpeg.d8ad67c2c64b7a80bcfe2b449c163918.jpeg

Top row I would chunk for stews. Bottom right gets sliced and pounded for cheesesteaks. Football roast gets corned. Shanks for Osso Bucca. And the center pile ground (smoked meatloaf!)

Great looking week or two of meals!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Top row I would chunk for stews. Bottom right gets sliced and pounded for cheesesteaks. Football roast gets corned. Shanks for Osso Bucca. And the center pile ground (smoked meatloaf!)

Great looking week or two of meals!!!

Top 4 steaks got cubed, marinated and grilled for tonight.  Bottom right got cut into steaks.  Center pile was ground and mixed with 80/20 for burgers this week. The rest, good call. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

You do clean work sir!

Thanks, there was a lot more trimming needed for this one (7 days in the deer fridge) vs the other side.  I think 3-4 days is the sweet spot.  This meat sure looked delicious tho! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johnplav said:

Thanks, there was a lot more trimming needed for this one (7 days in the deer fridge) vs the other side.  I think 3-4 days is the sweet spot.  This meat sure looked delicious tho! 

You must have a modern, frost-free deer fridge.  They don’t dry out too much, after even slightly over a week, in this old non frost-free, 1950’s GE model:

F0E99B85-7775-4A2B-A6AA-CB4E9EFD8940.thumb.jpeg.bd6c17bdcc33e17dd1d8461cb6509fa2.jpeg

B8FE3149-5E66-494F-BB3C-D014B63AD94E.thumb.jpeg.5d3f38add313de93a0daebf6f9a85348.jpeg

There was an awful lot fat trimming to do though, on this corn-fed, 3.5 yr old doe.  She must have lost this year’s fawn to the coyotes.  She didn’t have any milk in her, but was really loaded up with fat.  I trimmed as much of that as I could from the outside right after I skinned her, and before I put her in the fridge.  

She was only in there for 4 days though, but I have left others in there as long as (10) days, and they didn’t dry out too much.  If it’s cold enough outside over the stretch, so that I can hang them whole in our insulated garage,  I always leave the hide on until the day before I process.  That keep them from drying out too much:

88842548-8E8F-4941-A41C-351387BA6DB1.thumb.jpeg.5c86cbf28fb2a9ae1122e9a45544e8be.jpeg

This 3.5 yr old buck hung out in our garage for 9 days, last November-December, and that meat was just about perfect as far as moisture and tenderness.  

It’s a lot tougher getting that hide off, after hanging that long, but it works great for insulating against daily temperature swings and for keeping the meat moist.  Except for the tenderloins, which I always pull, right after I get them into the garage.  

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

You must have a modern, frost-free deer fridge.  They don’t dry out too much, after even slightly over a week, in this old non frost-free, 1950’s GE model:

F0E99B85-7775-4A2B-A6AA-CB4E9EFD8940.thumb.jpeg.bd6c17bdcc33e17dd1d8461cb6509fa2.jpeg

B8FE3149-5E66-494F-BB3C-D014B63AD94E.thumb.jpeg.5d3f38add313de93a0daebf6f9a85348.jpeg

There was an awful lot fat trimming to do though, on this corn-fed, 3.5 yr old doe.  She must have lost this year’s fawn to the coyotes.  She didn’t have any milk in her, but was really loaded up with fat.  I trimmed as much of that as I could from the outside right after I skinned her, and before I put her in the fridge.  

She was only in there for 4 days though, but I have left others in there as long as (10) days, and they didn’t dry out too much.  If it’s cold enough outside over the stretch, so that I can hang them whole in our insulated garage,  I always leave the hide on until the day before I process.  That keep them from drying out too much:

88842548-8E8F-4941-A41C-351387BA6DB1.thumb.jpeg.5c86cbf28fb2a9ae1122e9a45544e8be.jpeg

This 3.5 yr old buck hung out in our garage for 9 days, last November-December, and that meat was just about perfect as far as moisture and tenderness.  

It’s a lot tougher getting that hide off, after hanging that long, but it works great for insulating against daily temperature swings and for keeping the meat moist.  Except for the tenderloins, which I always pull, right after I get them into the garage.  

Not sure how old mine is… certainly not from the 50s.  I won’t complain about it tho, it’s great having a dependable third freezer solely for venison.  

7609E47D-25AE-4C69-8F76-D96B052C52B2.jpeg

• Like 1