Hunter Dies After Fall From Treestand

Cabin Fever

I just can't understand why hunters don't wear safety harnasses!?!?

Man Dies After Hunting Accident in Bristol             

•  
  • Updated: 4:03 pm

Town of Bristol, N.Y. - A man is dead after a hunting accident Saturday morning in the Town of Bristol.

According to the New York State Police, around 9:15 a.m., a hunter fell out of a tree stand off of Hundred Acre Way. 

Police say he died a short time later.

As of late Saturday afternoon, no information about the hunter’s name, age, or where he was from has been released.   

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Man-Dies-After-Hunting-Accident-in-Bristol/zqrbQEsjq0u3a0ijknb7LA.cspx

Funny thing, I have some friends who have been hunting forever, one in his late 50's and the other in his early 70's and both are very intelligent.  Neither one takes the safety end of this too serious.  Hunting from a climber without a harness on and attached to the tree at all times for one and the other just uses a strap like we used to use, 10 years ago hooked around the tree and around his chest, under his arms.  I know, better than nothing.  Or not.

Close to 100 years experience between them. 

One of them is in a boot cast right now, because his climber slipped and he took a 8' slide down the tree and wedged his right foot into the V of his stand on the way.  Nice................. 

some guy's in the construction trade still poo harnesses, i guess when you spend a lifetime walking on roof trusses at 35 feet you just feel you don't need them. my best hunting buddy is an arborist and i don't dare even mention a harness to him and almost wanna hide mine under my coat when i hunt with him. i myself have stepped over the edge of many a 2 story roof getting on and off a ladder but it seems i have lost my nerve and even have a hard time doing that on my 1 story ranch today...

I had a Fire Chief at my camp a couple weeks ago hunting, who doesn't wear a safety harness. While giving my lecture and trying to get my point across to him, I told him it was like someone telling him they didn't have or use smoke detectors. Or someone who doesn't wear seat belts, because they are inconvenient. He would look at them like they were stupid! That's the way I feel when I hear someone make excuses as to why they don't use a safety harness! To me, it's like they're playing Russian Roulette EVERY time they climb into a stand.

My son later joined us at camp while we were getting geared up to head out. After the guy walked away, my son immediately asked me where the guys safety harness was. I told him to ask the guy. When he walked back in, my son asked him. The guy showed my son the jumbled mess of a safety harness that he had and said that it was a pain in the ass to use. It was one of the junk harnesses that came with a treestand! I asked him if he thought that his 2 and 3 year old sons would miss him if he didn't come home some day?

After I saw this accident on the news, I texted the Fire Chief about it and said that this poor guy won't get a second chance to wear a harness...

I just can't understand why hunters don't wear safety harnasses!?!?

Prayers to the family for their loss.

The man may not have been able to afford a HSS... you seen the price on those things?  I'm lucky, I have one - but not everyone has the means to shell out a $100 bill for a vest.  Who knows, he may have been hunting out of a friends stand (because he couldn't afford one of those either). 

If a hunter cannot afford a harness... he should hunt from the ground - period!  However those TV hunting shows we watch (and seriously influence our purchasing habits) say in order to see and kill more deer (especially during archery season)... one needs to hunt from an elevated position.  Hunters were hunting from the ground for centuries and were very successful... you don't HAVE to be in a tree stand to kill a deer.

Again, my condolences to his family.  A terrible tragedy indeed. 

If someone doesn't think their life or health is worth $70 , they aren't too smart . If you can afford the cost of expensive archery equipment / guns , etc and don't invest in something that could save your life or keep you from spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair then you should stay out of treestands .

Today's paper didn't elaborite on whether or not the man has a harness or if he was climbing up or down from the stand . Until you have the harness lashed to the tree , you aren't safe .

I fell for the man's family !

The hunter was Eric Docteur , 48 , of Victor . He was hunting off Dugway Road in Bristol . The article said he died of internal injuries at FF Thompson Hospital in Canandaigua . He managed to call 911 at 9:15 and was pronounced dead at 10:40 am Saturday .

The hunter was Eric Docteur , 48 , of Victor . He was hunting off Dugway Road in Bristol . The article said he died of internal injuries at FF Thompson Hospital in Canandaigua . He managed to call 911 at 9:15 and was pronounced dead at 10:40 am Saturday .

Related to our Doc?  He lives near Bristol.....and it is a somewhat unusual surname.

Regardless.....prayers for the families.

Related to our Doc?  He lives near Bristol.....and it is a somewhat unusual surname.

Good lord.......................

Eric is my cousin. His death is a tremendous loss to the family. He will be missed.

Eric is my cousin. His death is a tremendous loss to the family. He will be missed.

God bless you and the Family, Doc. You all will be in my prayers.