Ticks

Paula

I live right next to Green Lakes State Park, NY's epicenter for Deer Ticks & Lyme Disease.  My son was out in Feb looking for sheds and picked up two while there was no snow on the ground.  These critters are a pain in the butt.  Several neighborhood residents & dogs have gotten infected over the last several years.

Yes the lil buggers are out in full force this year, I have been picking them off for a month now every time the dogs and I go even a few feet into the brush.

Stock up on permetherine and Flea and tick for the dogs!

I thought this was early for them after such a cold winter

Where do I buy this Permethrin? Does it go under some other brand name? Would it be in a drug store or sporting goods store? How about Walmarts?

Are these ticks active all year around, or just during warm weather months?

Don't put it directly on you, and don't put on clothing you have treated with it while it is still wet.

Follow the directions on the bottle.  It is a pre-treatment.  Spray down your hunting/hiking cloths generously and then let them dry for a day or so.  It should last all of turkey season, and then some.

• Like 1

I use happy jack kennel dip concentrate from tractor supply,  mix a soak solution for all of my turkey gear. saturate it and let it hang outside to dry.  I also mix up a more dilluted mix and put that in an old scent killer spray bottle marked tick spray and I spray my boots and pant legs before heading out.  Ialso spray down my dog and her neoprene vest before we head out.

the ticks are getting worse here in NY, but at camp in Pa. they a lot worse, one afternoon on a bow hunt I looked at my legs after getting settled in my stand and I had close to 40 ticks oneach leg... I had not treated my archery gear for fear of the smell alerting deer but after that incident I used my tick spray first then did a little extra scent killer. That seemed to work on both counts, enough permethrin to kill the ticks and the scent killer covered the scent enough to not alarm the deer.

As far as winter kill of ticks happens rarely,  the issue we had this past winter was that even though it was extremely cold for a long period of time we also had quite a covering of snow.  most places here had enough snow cover early on that allowed a blanket of snow deep enough to prevent frost from getting to the ground. most places you could go out in the woods in early march and dig through the snow cover and dig a hole in the ground with just a shovel  Had we of had no snow cover and the ectreme and extended cold temps like we had we probably would of had a good tick kill.

Description of Permethrin -----

This insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes for up to six weeks.
  • Nonaerosol pump bottle contains 24 fl. oz. of repellent, or enough to coat four full outfits; a full outfit consists of shirt, trousers and socks
  • One treatment will last up to six washings or six weeks before clothing has to be treated again
  • Effective against ticks that carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
  • Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; hang clothing, spray and let dry two hours (four hours in humid conditions)
  • Avoid contact with skin and eyes

Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5%)

Took my daughter (6yo) for a walk to see my ladder stand a few weeks ago.  Had two crawling on my hand as we were climbing up the stand.  My wife and I gave her a thorough check when we got back from the woods and didn't see any ticks.  A few days later she complained that something was bothering her head and when we looked we found a fully engorged tick on the back of her head.  It was pretty nasty.  We removed and sent it to a lab and just found out that it wasn't infected, thank God.  Pretty scary.

I'm surprised they survived so well during this long and cold winter..... I hate them buggers.....

Man im with you, I thought after this crappy weather they'd be extinct. I thought I read somewhere that with our previous mild winters that helped rise the population and we needed a good cold winter to kill them off. Damn those things. 

I use happy jack kennel dip concentrate from tractor supply,  mix a soak solution for all of my turkey gear. saturate it and let it hang outside to dry.  I also mix up a more dilluted mix and put that in an old scent killer spray bottle marked tick spray and I spray my boots and pant legs before heading out.  Ialso spray down my dog and her neoprene vest before we head out.

the ticks are getting worse here in NY, but at camp in Pa. they a lot worse, one afternoon on a bow hunt I looked at my legs after getting settled in my stand and I had close to 40 ticks oneach leg... I had not treated my archery gear for fear of the smell alerting deer but after that incident I used my tick spray first then did a little extra scent killer. That seemed to work on both counts, enough permethrin to kill the ticks and the scent killer covered the scent enough to not alarm the deer.

As far as winter kill of ticks happens rarely,  the issue we had this past winter was that even though it was extremely cold for a long period of time we also had quite a covering of snow.  most places here had enough snow cover early on that allowed a blanket of snow deep enough to prevent frost from getting to the ground. most places you could go out in the woods in early march and dig through the snow cover and dig a hole in the ground with just a shovel  Had we of had no snow cover and the ectreme and extended cold temps like we had we probably would of had a good tick kill.

that was going to be my question. I use my gillie suit that i use for deer for turkey. How is this stuff on smell? Will it come out after some washes with scent free soap?