Go to call

rotorooter23

Just curious as to what everyone's go to call is... There is always that one call in my arsenal that intend to lean on. If have to say mine is the zink wicked sister mouth call. I feel I have had more luck than any other mouth, slate, box, or even push button call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rotorooter23

Nothing fancy for me. My go to call would be my Primos Box Cutter.

I picked up a Quaker Boy Triple Threat pot call that has already proved it can call in the gobblers this spring.

I used to have a neighbor who had a "wild turkey" as a pet in a cage in his backyard. Every morning his tom would 'gobble up' a flock of birds across the field from my property to his,lol

I think they were gathering to plan his escape. Can't beat the real thing!

On rainy days like tomorrow, I always stick with my aluminum pot call from primos and a few mouth calls. Can't beat the loud, realistic sounds from the primos alumnislate and the mouth calls to draw em in! Good luck to you all

You guys who run mouth calls should try some of the smaller custom call companies. I have found that not only are they cheaper, but they are much more consistent. Hooks, XT, Gooserbat, and Houndstooth are a few I have had good luck with. The only big name that I think come close in consistency is Woodhaven, but they're around $12 a piece.

• Like 2

Not sure if this 43 second clip of audio footage will run smoothly for you guys.(it's kinda choppy on my crappy computer)

The ol' "Box Cutter" had 8 jakes fired up this morning for almost 2hrs!

I got on them again at another setup and couldn't shut them up untill noon.

Click on pic below for vid clip of gobbling.

th_DSCN0715_zps9a7df3fd.jpg

• Like 3

You guys who run mouth calls should try some of the smaller custom call companies. I have found that not only are they cheaper, but they are much more consistent. Hooks, XT, Gooserbat, and Houndstooth are a few I have had good luck with. The only big name that I think come close in consistency is Woodhaven, but they're around $12 a piece.

I try and stay the same route you are. I love any custom mouth call made here in NY. The mouth calls like Primos, Quaker Boy, etc. are mostly mass produced and tend to be not nearly the quality the custom mouth calls produce. I tried beard bustin game calls this year and absolutely love them. They are made right here in NY.

Not sure if this 43 second clip of audio footage will run smoothly for you guys.(it's kinda choppy on my crappy computer)

The ol' "Box Cutter" had 8 jakes fired up this morning for almost 2hrs!

I got on them again at another setup and couldn't shut them up untill noon.

Click on pic below for vid clip of gobbling.

th_DSCN0715_zps9a7df3fd.jpg

Haha, thats awesome!

• Like 2

I suck at mouth calls.

It's mainly about trimming and bending a diaphram to fit the roof of your mouth. Then you can easily refine the sounds you make. If it doesn't fit your mouth well, the call's quality/$$ won't help.

Can't say I've got just one everything in my vest has earned the right to stay there.

Most are locally made NY calls. Only other call is a Primos will Primos diaphragm. Easiest blowing and controllable mouth call I've used, with three reeds for rasp to boot. Sweet cedar box. Sweet cedar diaphragm. Mountain hollow double sided slate/glass call. And some others. All from NY.

Most  of the time, mouth calls. I like the higher pitched, not as raspy calls. But thats what  works for me. I have had real good luck with slates and box calls too………Who knows?????? I can't figure the damn things out…LOL!

• Like 1