How many rounds do you carry..?...

Pygmy

Some hunters don't pay much attention to details..They just dump a bunch of cartridges or shells in a pocket and go hunting...

Others, myself included, tend to do things a certain way, each time, like take the same number of  number of shells..It's almost  a superstitious thing, or perhaps a "rite of preparation"....

When deer hunting with one of my bolt action rifles, I carry ten rifle cartridges, because that's how many my cordura cartridge holder holds...If I am hunting with my Garand M1 I carry two five round en-bloc clips... If I am hunting with my slug gun I carry two 5 packs of sabot slugs..

With my muzzleloader, ten rounds would be unecessary overkill.. I usually hunt with one charge in the barrel and three spare charges in speedloaders..

How many rounds do you carry...??...

5 in the gun and 5 in the belt pack....

No need to more for me... I save room in my backpack for things like water and food. I like to stay out all day, so it is neccesary to have a lot of snack food. It seems to me that eating, whether you are hungry or not, breaks up the monotony of the woods sometimes. It gives you something to do...

My 1187 is a mulit purpose gun. I put 3 slugs in the gun (because I leave my duck plug in) and carry 3 in my pocket. My gun shoots the bullseye out at 100yards not sure beyond that because I havent shot it any greater distance. Normally one shot I either miss and hes gone or I get him if I shoot 3 times and the deer still stands there I punt. lol

I have 5 slugs in the shotgun and a box of 5 buried in the bottom of my backpack . If I shoot all 5 , digging to the bottom of the backpack would give me plenty of time to figure out what i had done wrong . I have a pump action . You can tell which way a deer is running by the sound of the 5 - 6 shot semi-autos sounding off .

As for the ML , I have it loaded and 4 speed loads ready . I have been lucky and never had to take a 2nd shot with the ML . But ......... I still reload it before approaching the downed deer .

I have 5 slugs in the shotgun and a box of 5 buried in the bottom of my backpack . If I shoot all 5 , digging to the bottom of the backpack would give me plenty of time to figure out what i had done wrong . I have a pump action . You can tell which way a deer is running by the sound of the 5 - 6 shot semi-autos sounding off .

As for the ML , I have it loaded and 4 speed loads ready . I have been lucky and never had to take a 2nd shot with the ML . But ......... I still reload it before approaching the downed deer .

Yeah, I would guess that is about the same number as I carry. I like the idea of having way more that I could ever need. I definitely never want it to be the other way around. They don't weigh that much.

Doc

I like the idea of having way more that I could ever need. I definitely never want it to be the other way around. They don't weigh that much.

Doc

Exactly!  I see people carrying all sorts of contraptions into the woods that weigh a heck of a lot more than 5 to 10 extra rounds.  Better being safe than sorry.

I remember one time when I packed just a 5-pack of slugs. That sure is plenty .... right? Well, surprise - surprise when I got to my stand and went to load the shotgun, guess what apparently slipped out of my pocket. Yep! that's right. Nice gun ..... no slugs. An hour of opening morning was spent back-tracking looking for the box of slugs. Now I always empty out one 5-pack into the slug-holder loops in my vest and then throw in an extra box into the pocket just in case something wacky like that happens again. There are other cases that I have heard of where the hunter made a not-so-good shot (it does happen occasionally even to the best of us ..... lol) and had to take some extra shots along the blood-trail. Things happen. Better to be prepared. Theoretically we only need one slug, but I don't know anybody that only goes out with just one :P .

Doc