Scent control: Getting dressed/ transporting/storing clothes

Waldershrek

Talking about scent control and specifically when do you get dressed in your hunting clothes and how you transport them.

Do you guys wear your hunting clothes on your drive to your spot or do you wear totally separate clothes to drive and keep your hunting stuff in a scent proof container of some kind and then change in the field? Which brings me to my next question, what are you guys who change in the field using to transport your hunting clothes? I see there are plastic totes, scent free duffel bags and tote bag kinda things.

In the past I get dressed in my base layers and put my exterior pants, coat, hat, gloves etc in a plastic tote in the back of my truck for the drive over to my spot and then I put that stuff on in the field but I feel like I could be doing it better. I also feel like the plastic tote is not necessarily keeping everything scent free.

Also for storing hunting clothes at home during the season, what are you guys doing? I just hand mine outside my shed currently but that leads to problems when it rains/snows for obvious reasons. I don't want to put them in the shed because I have an outdoor wood stove that will stink them up. I thought about buying a box like this: http://scentmasterbox.com/store/scentmaster-box but they are pricey!

totes to camp then change...here it's dressed on porch because that is where I store all my hunting gear...let me tell you some mornings it's dang COLD!!...lol

Years ago I used plastic garbage bag...ever smell one of those :fie: I air out the totes before use and drop in a earth wafer or two...

I generally wear my base layers to the location and put on boots and outer layers when I am ready to dive in. Keep the boots stored in a huge ziplock bag and my outer layers in a large "scent free" duffle. In the end, playing the wind is much more critical than all of the scent free stuff in my opinion.

• Like 1

I keep everything wrapped in a bag with weeds , i get dressed when i arrive to hunt. The biggest problem with that is my clothes sit in the back of the truck and are freezing cold when i put them on , it sucks starting the day out already cold.

I think a lot of scent control has to do with if you're bow or gun hunting. Big difference. Now i don't bow hunt but i also don't get crazy about scent control either. I wear what I'm going to hunt in minus maybe the warmest layer (hour drive) I'll wear my rubber boots to pump gas in the morning. I play the wind and set up where the least activity has the wind blowing my scent that way. I smoke in the woods and have shot deer holding a cigarette in my mouth or dropped it to the ground from my stand. I get a few thermals and the wind swirls where i hunt so that sometimes screws me i'm sure. I will spray down with cover up spray after having a smoke.  I kill nice deer so I'm not overly concerned about what I do. I thought recent testing negated scent control clothing to be 100 % proven ?! I do however try to avoid walking on deer trails and play the wind while walking around not to blow into places I think deer may be 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

One can drive him/herself crazy with scent control.  No matter what you're doing you could always be doing something more.  I would say use common sense and always play the wind.  I personally wear my base layer and boots on teh drive and my hunting clothes in a tote with some pine branches in the trunk. 

Field and Stream did some testing where they showed that "scent killers" were not effective at hiding hunters from bloodhounds, but cover scents were arguably semi-effective.  Hence why I use the pine boughs. 

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/deer-hunting/finding-deer-hunt/2012/06/cover-scents-work-better-odor-reducing-produ

Edited by Wildcats160
  • Like 2

I think a lot of scent control has to do with if you're bow or gun hunting. Big difference.

That's true too. I'm way more careful about scent during bow season. Not to say I'm careless during gun season but I just take way more precautions during bow.

Not a thing. just put my orange coat and hat on , hop on my atv and go to the spot I am going to hunt.
Back 40 years ago a group of us that would hunt together all smoked, we drove up in a suv with our hunting clothes in the back ( red or orange). we slept in the atv , got dressed in the morning, cooked brekfast on the camp stove and went to our hunting spots. Maby we were lucky or knew how to play the wind but we got our bucks and doe if we had a permit every year.  

• Like 1

I store my outer layers and boots in contractor grade trash bags. The real thick ones. I usually wear my base layers to my spot. Thats what I do when I hunt close to  the house. When Im down at camp everything stays outside until I get dressed in the morning. If its real cold out I'll put everything in trash bags and bring them inside to warm up a little before I put them on.

• Like 1

I store my hunting clothes in plastic totes with earth wafers and/or a few pine branches thrown in.  Get dressed in the field.  Before the season, I wash everything in scent free detergent, use an earth scented dryer sheet, and then hang everything outside for a few days.  Then, toss it all in the totes.

I wash my ScentBlocker gear regularly through the season with scent free detergent. I shower before every hunt with scent free soap. I put on my ScentBlocker layer one base layer at the house fresh out of the shower minutes before leaving. I avoid non woodsy smells like gas, breakfast, my beagles. I spray my rubber boots liberally inside the night before and use my boot dryer to dry them over night. I put on my boots and spray them wet before I leave the truck for the hunt. I use, you guessed it, ScentBlocker field spray.  I store my ScentBlocker pants and coat in an old pillow zipper bag that comes with the pillow when you buy it. They stay in the truck on warm days, and in the house on cold ones. I only open the bag when I put the clothes in the bag from the dryer or when I am getting dressed in the field. I regularly spray the inside of the truck cab and cap covered bed with field spray. When I get to where I am hunting, I put on my pants and spray down everything with field spray. For short stand hikes on cold days I will also put on my coat, but usually my hikes are 1/2 mile to mile from the truck so I put my coat, face mask, gloves in my pack. I always bring a small spray bottle with field spray and apply as I enter the tree stand area. I use the spray to cool off the hot zones like my head and face. Ultimately, I try to not sweat on my way to stand, but sometimes it is impossible hence the spraying regiment. Human sweat that is drying and human mouth odors are, I believe, the most alerting smells. So I try to keep those smells as controlled as I can. When I get to stand, after I cool down, I put on the rest of my gear. As I sit in stand I occasionally spray the field spray into the wind to try to eliminate any odors that have blown off me. I always set stands according to the prevailing winds, with some sets for those off wind days. I plan and mark my routes to stand to not give my scent to deer down wind of my stand on my approach. I will not hunt a stand if the wind is wrong for that spot. So having other options is important. I sit on stand as still as I can with no unnecessary movements. I cant recall the last time I got busted by a deer while in stand. I have shot many deer from stand that came in directly down wind of me, responding to rattling or grunting and bleating.  My methods work for me, and I have to do this routine in order to be confident in the woods. Nothing is ever fool proof. I have had deer come into stand that absolutely knew I was there at some point, I believe that my routine reduces my scent enough to appear that I had been there yesterday. So when they don't see anything moving, they proceed through the area. These deer that come in on alert are due to something I did wrong, or missed, or stepped in something on my way to stand. But most days I go undetected. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

The human body constantly produces oder there is nothing anyone can do about that. Unless you have scent control flowing over your body at all times. If a deer is down wind of you he more then likely smell you. When someone tells you how they controll scent when hunting they always end with play the wind. If the scent blocking clothing and sprays worked then why would it matter what the wind is doing? This is just my opinion but why go to so much trouble controlling your scent, walking to stand in you underwear, or wearing special clothes and then still have to worry about the wind? With all that you should be invisable to a deer as long as it does not see you move.

Like a couple others have said I never worried too much about scent even shot deer at 50 yards while smoking and had them even closer right aafter or while smoking. I don't fault anyone who does all the scent control if that is your thing then fine. I just think that years ago before all these products were around noone had a problem getting deer but now that there is money to be made off it then scent control is where it's at.

The human body constantly produces oder there is nothing anyone can do about that. Unless you have scent control flowing over your body at all times. If a deer is down wind of you he more then likely smell you. When someone tells you how they controll scent when hunting they always end with play the wind. If the scent blocking clothing and sprays worked then why would it matter what the wind is doing? This is just my opinion but why go to so much trouble controlling your scent, walking to stand in you underwear, or wearing special clothes and then still have to worry about the wind? With all that you should be invisable to a deer as long as it does not see you move.

Like a couple others have said I never worried too much about scent even shot deer at 50 yards while smoking and had them even closer right aafter or while smoking. I don't fault anyone who does all the scent control if that is your thing then fine. I just think that years ago before all these products were around noone had a problem getting deer but now that there is money to be made off it then scent control is where it's at.

The thread was started to get ideas of how others control their scent and store their clothes and such. NOT asking if you can bash someone response that is trying to offer help to those that ask.

Which guy is going to have a better chance of success in the deer woods. The guys that just got out of work from his diesel mechanic job stinking like fuel and sweat, smoking a cig, and crossing 3 deer trails on his way to stand while thinking he knows where the deer are coming from and the wind is in his favor? Or the cautious guy fresh from the shower, scent free clothes, scent free spray, not crossing any deer trails on his way to stand, and he thinks he knows where the deer are coming from and the wind may be in his favor? Because everyone knows that deer will come from the same place and arrive at the same destination every single time, right?

Ever see a pack of Marb's on fire feeding their way through the woods while you were hunting? Sounds ridiculous to ask. Just as ridiculous to expect to be successful deer hunting with cig burning in your lips. Yeah, I know, lighting starts fires naturally. But forest fires don't smell like a cig burning nor do they attract deer so don't even argue the point. Do what you do, I'll do what I do. No need of bashing someone's confidence booster

Sorry if my post came across as bashing, wasn't intended as such. Just what I do. 

I don't think you are bashing anyone. You stated what you do and that you don't bow hunt. Yes there is a difference between bow a gun hunting. You have to be close with a bow. I am just saying an argument about NOT controlling your scent is just as effective as being over cautious, is just plain silly. Why do some of these members wait for a hunter to ask for help, and when members offer advice, they just say how stupid and wrong the advice is. But they never offer any advice themselves to others. Because they cant is why. I wish they would crawl back under their Anti rock and stay.

I don't think you are bashing anyone. You stated what you do and that you don't bow hunt. Yes there is a difference between bow a gun hunting. You have to be close with a bow. I am just saying an argument about NOT controlling your scent is just as effective as being over cautious, is just plain silly. Why do some of these members wait for a hunter to ask for help, and when members offer advice, they just say how stupid and wrong the advice is. But they never offer any advice themselves to others. Because they cant is why. I wish they would crawl back under their Anti rock and stay.

Had I bowhunt I'm sure I'd go about all the precautionary measures. I trap and am extremely careful of scent for canines.  Again, my apologies . 

This is an interesting topic because you see the responses go a few different ways.. 1) I have never cared about scent control and I shoot plenty of deer or 2) I am a scent freak and down the layer spray my self with spray and wouldn't go to a gas station with a gun to my head before getting into the stand.. I find my self in category 2 for several reasons. The first is I find that the pressure on deer is high enough during the season so I want to minimize my impact on the woods with each sit because I want to see lots of deer each day I hunt. The second is because I want to shoot big bucks and big bucks no what people smell like and will avoid areas they have smelled people for long periods of time (especially repeat encounters with human scent and this is backed by research). So to say that you can still shoot deer and smell like the a Pizza Hut sure I believe you.. but if you told me you have regular close encounters with 3yr old + bucks then I would get suspicious.. So to each his own methods and how deep you delve into scent control depends on your goals and what you consider a successful season in the woods. I have found since adopting scent control strategies I see more deer and put less deer on edge than before, therefore to me its worth the hassle and money spent. Do I still play the wind on almost every occasion.. heck yes because no matter how good you are that burrito you ate last Tuesday still does get to a deer sometimes.

So here is my method..

1) All Clothes are washed in scent free detergent inclusive of the street clothes I will wear in the vehicle.

2) Shower with scent free soap/shampoo, scent free deodorant

3) Dress in street clothes washed in scent free detergent and stored in a scent free bag.

4) Drive to woods drinking coffee because come on who can sit in a stand for 12 hrs without it.

5) Baking soda mouth rinse out to eliminate coffee breath

6) standing outside of vehicle on a mat take off street clothes and change into hunting clothes, including a change of socks

7) spray down all clothes that are put on leaving off the outer layer so as not to sweat walking to the stand. Spray all gear going into the woods with the exception of my bow because I have heard that can corrode the bow?

8 Respray all gear and clothes at base of tree

9) climb the tree and put on outerwear then respray down 

10) respray every few hours in the stand 

VT who was I bashing? I made a statement about the body always producing scent, which is a fact. I also asked if all the control measures worked then why worry about the wind. I also said that years ago before these products were made and people were told they needed them no one saw a need for it. If you actually read my post I said that I do not fault anyone who does all the scent control stuff and that if it is there thing then fine. How is any of that bashing anyone? Especially when I never mentioned or directed the comment at any one. If what i said made you lose your confidence then you weren't very confident to begin with.

Also believe it or not many people have shot deer while they had a smoke in there hand. I never said that smoking draws deer in. I said I have shot deer at 50 yards and had them closer while I was smoking or had just put a smoke out. That does not in anyway mean I think it draws them in. It simply means That I do not have trouble getting close to deer without useing scent control. Has that caused a few deer to get spooked when near? Yes but not enough for me to worry about it.

Again who was I bashing? How was anything I said bashing?

Wake up in am, drink coffee , pack everything that has been hanging outside all night (on porch) into my pack , tuck my pajamas into my boots throw on a fleece and head out the door. Get dressed at base of tree, climb 30', and wait..That is my method most days.. ha.ha. Way too far to be wearing any of my hunting duds until I get to where I am going. I may be leaving out a few personal things,   and the drive   if I am not hunting out back. I do not pay as much attention to scent control as maybe I should. But I always pay attention to the wind and am usually way up in the air, seems to make a difference.

I am thinking of trying smoke (wood ) as a scent killer this year.

Much like everyone else. Base layers and wind pants to the parking spot, then I put on my mid and outer layers before the walk in. If it's a little warmer out still I carry my coat in strapped to my back pack. Clothes usually go down in a big zip lock style bag that came with some scent shield soap and laundry detergent, and that is tossed into a big plastic tote with some diy carbon "scent killers" that I found on a diy website. Rubber boots usually just travel loose in the back with everything else.