Field dressing question

Borngeechee

Leave them there.  Coyotes will remove them in short order, along with plenty of other animals and birds.  I once shot a deer at dusk and dragged it out after dark.  Came back in before morning light and the entire gut pile was GONE!  That's less than 8 hours later.

Carrion eaters have to eat too. Assuming it is not in somebody's lawn of in the middle of a footpath, or along the side of the road, leave it there for the critters. Whether the location is appropriate or not is a judgment call. When in doubt, move it out of sight.

Most of the time I just leave them where the deer lays.

Coyotes, foxes, bears, smaller predators, ravens, crows ,hawks and songbirds will clean them up, usually within a day or two. Nothing goes to waste in the woods.

The only exception to this is if the deer happens to drop close to a house or building. Use your head and be considerate.

On occasion, a landowner might ask you to take them with you, often to avoid his/her dogs eating or rolling in the guts.

Hehehehe.. My Old Fat Father used to bitch every year about the gutpiles..

He always had a "yard dawg"  or two that roamed his 200 acres.

During deer season, they'd locate and eat the gut piles.

Then when Old Fat Father was in his rocking chair, sipping on a Genny and puffing on a Camel, watching the 6 o'clock news, the  dawgs would lay down by the woodstove and start cutting "gut farts"....

You haven't LIVED until you've experienced a deer gut fart from an overweight  coon hound...

• Like 3

Hehehehe.. My Old Fat Father used to bitch every year about the gutpiles..

He always had a "yard dawg"  or two that roamed his 200 acres.

During deer season, they'd locate and eat the gut piles.

Then when Old Fat Father was in his rocking chair, sipping on a Genny and puffing on a Camel, watching the 6 o'clock news, the  dawgs would lay down by the woodstove and start cutting "gut farts"....

You haven't LIVED until you've experienced a deer gut fart from an overweight  coon hound...

Were the worse than Genny farts??   LOL!!

My buddies dog "gut" burped right in his face ,said it was the nastiest thing he ever smelled . If its well off the trail i will leave them,if not ill drag it out of the way , i usually like to find a low spot in the ground anyway to let the guts fall into away from the deer.

We usually left them off trail near where the deer dropped.

Back when my grandparents had the farm, small game/bird gutting and skinning went in the burn barrel - now it goes in the trash.

Had bald eagles clean up my deer carcasses after we finished processing one year.  That was an unexpected sight.

If the deer are on a trail , I pull them off to the side a bit and leave the gut pile there after field dressing . The pile is usually gone in a day or two . I shot a doe that was standing in a gut pile that my son left the day before in South Bristol .

I hunted with a crew in Fishers one day and the landowner had a rule that any guts had to be hauled away . The guy that put the hunt together shot a buck and put the guts in a garbage bag . The landowner has a dog that wanders and puked up some guts he ate one time . You hunt an area , you follow the owner's rules . What was funny was a guy took a break and had a couple slices of pizza with him . He tossed the crusts and the dog got them . The landowner came looking for the pizza eater ............