On my hit list!

I would like to let him grow and leave him for next year but the bordering properties I'm afraid someone's ganna grab him

I'm kinda rooting for your neighbors to tag him.

It sounds like they may appreciate that animal for what he already is right now.

I hate to see anyone settle for anything less than what they truly want. That's just the way I read a post like this when a guy starts making excuses for killing a buck like this before he even has him in his sights.

• Like 4

Some of us have standards it's unfortunate you have small deer on your wall and you don't manage the land you hunt just because a deer has a big rack doesn't mean there a 41/2 51/2 year old this is why New York has small deer because everyone's trigger happy set standards for yourself it's rewarding I can shoot any small deer I want that's not the way I run things on my kand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some of us have standards it's unfortunate you have small deer on your wall and you don't manage the land you hunt just because a deer has a big rack doesn't mean there a 41/2 51/2 year old this is why New York has small deer because everyone's trigger happy set standards for yourself it's rewarding I can shoot any small deer I want that's not the way I run things on my kand

I don't pretend to be a trophy hunter.

Never have, and never will.

Don't blame my kind for the part I bolded above when you yourself fall into the same category by stepping outside your own criteria.

You already said you'd kill this deer because your neighbor would.... and then say everyone is trigger happy,lol

Ok so he does not meet your standards, but you will shoot him anyway to keep the neighbors from getting him.  Sounds like your standards are ok to shoot a small deer too.  So there is no difference. If you truly mean what you say, you will let him walk.  Now lets see who has their standards in order.  Nice deer btw.

• Like 3

I don't pretend to be a trophy hunter.

Never have, and never will.

Don't blame my kind for the part I bolded above when you yourself fall into the same category by stepping outside your own criteria.

You already said you'd kill this deer because your neighbor would.... and then say everyone is trigger happy,lol

you my friend is why guys don't post on forums

A buck that size is a smart deer, if you can get within bow range and get a shot then you are no doubt a good hunter , just the same with a big old doe . If you decide to shoot it then you have done something right to "deserve" a shot ,if you let him walk then you have no choice but to live with the neighbors standards. I know people who strictly enforce the harvast on their land and that guy is a shooter all day long.

Edited by Jeremy K

You don't have a standard if you are willing to compromise that standard... for the record that buck might just get taken by your neighbors anyway before you even get a chance to see him during the season... kill him because he's a beautiful buck.. not because it bothers you that other hunters might kill him first... and if they do I would shake their hand for having taken such a nice deer. Don't get rapped up in all this he'll be better next year crap... he's either on your "hit list" or he's not.

• Like 3

A buck that size is a smart deer, if you can get within bow range and get a shot then you are no doubt a good hunter , just the same with a big old doe . If you decide to shoot it then you have done something right to "deserve" a shot ,if you let him walk then you have no choice but to live with the neighbors standards. I know people who strictly enforce the harvast on their land and that guy is a shooter all day long.

i agree

Oh I have standards but I have to lower them to my neighbors.  Then you have no standards.  Standards is passing a buck that does not meet them.  I passed a decent 6 one year because it was not what I wanted. A half hour later my neighbor shot him.  If he was happy I was happy.  But to be greedy and compromise what you say is your standards is hypocritical.  Then to attack others for saying that is at best lame.  You say he is on your hit list but does not meet your standards.  are you seeing the silliness in what you are saying yet?  Just say you do not want to admit that you want to take that deer, but you are afraid people will razz you for taking it.  Grow a pair

• Like 2

I agree with some of the points that have been made, but everyone needs to cool down. We don't need to sing Kumbaya or anything, but there are ways to make the same point without sounding like a jerk.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot that buck because he is young. A neighbor might shoot him and then again maybe he'll make it to next year, that's just the chance I would take.

• Like 3