SON OF A B****!

AaronBlaine

so after a long morning of bow hunting at rocky point I come across a road that had 4 deer within 50 yards of me! I crawled up within 30 yards for a clean shot took my time they didn't even know I was there! Had one BIG doe picked out and just as I go to draw some fat son of a b goes cruising by on his mountain bike laughing spooking the deer!  I hope his fat butt gets a heart attack!  Oct 1st as far as I know you aren't even supposed to be bike riding at rocky point......  That's hunting on long island for you lol!

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
cleaned up language. Please stick to the forum TOS

So many stories like this. Go to Long Island Deer Hunting on Facebook. You can read about all the crazy stories on LI and vent. It's a great site and some wonderful hunters there. I saw a picture of a deer carcass

head caped and loins missing. Just dumped in the area you park. Crazy stuff, its a small area where a lot of people want to use the property.

Edited by First-light

That would tick off anyone. I use to hunt a state park and every once in a while I would get a mountain bike goof or two come peddling through. It sucked because I had to pay to bow hunt there but the bikers just had to park their Volvo and start peddling.

Welcome to my world ..... lol. The mountain bikers took over the state land that I have always hunted (way over here on the western end of the state), such that now instead of figuring where the deer are, I have to figure out where the bikers and hikers will not be. The frequent activity pretty much keeps the deer laying low during the daylight hours. I have found a few spots where the trails don't do and so I am not completely screwed. But things certainly are a lot different since the DEC allowed them to cut a maze of trails all over the hill. They have pretty well blanketed the entire place with rutted up, tree-painted, trails. 

I'll bet this sort of thing is going on a lot more public land than we realize. More and more, hunters are being herded onto crowded conditions and now these lands have been opened up to mobs of people in addition to the hunters. Talk about conditions aligning to drive hunters out of the woods.

Oh, and before I have to listen to it all, I am well aware that these people have a perfect right to the land just like the hunters do. It's just that all this stuff is creating a "perfect storm" to help eliminate hunters and hunting.

As much as I hate to say it....that's one thing Allegany state park does right....they strongly encourage hikers bikers and what not to stay outta woods on sat during gun season....but they don't allow hunting on Sunday witch gives them their time....i wish they would not allow any non hunters on sat but I've never seen one so I can't complain. We all have a right to be there as you said Doc we just need rules and guidelines we can all agree on to help keep everyone happy and safe.

As much as I hate to say it....that's one thing Allegany state park does right....they strongly encourage hikers bikers and what not to stay outta woods on sat during gun season....but they don't allow hunting on Sunday witch gives them their time....i wish they would not allow any non hunters on sat but I've never seen one so I can't complain. We all have a right to be there as you said Doc we just need rules and guidelines we can all agree on to help keep everyone happy and safe.

Oh, we have no problem with those guys during gun season. They are scared to death of being out in the woods when the guns start banging....ha-ha. And the funny thing is, there is so much disturbance going on with the gun hunters, that a bunch of bikers would only help things out. But when that nonsense is going on during bow season, that just completely blows up patterns and natural deer movement. Yeah, the deer still have to eat, but they don't have to do it during the daylight hours.

• Like 1

lol I couldn't believe it! I heard this sound coming behind me like WHAT THE HELL IS THAT! Perfect stalk RUINED! lol I found a cool new spot with tons of sign of what looks to be a couple of BIG bucks in the area. Scrapes and rubs EVERYWHERE!  They seem to stick to a certain area and I think I found the sweet spot!  As for that fat bastard! He was just out getting some morning exercise big grey mustache blowing in the wind having a good old time lol  deer liked him better anyways lol

The big, round 'puffball' mushrooms are very tasty, and this is the time of year for them. I don't have any pics offhand so you'll have to decide for yourself if it's an edible or not. Lots of info on the 'net. They range in size from a large softball to just under a basketball. Slice 'em like thick bread and cook 'em like you would french toast.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the non-hunters.

Basically dip 'em in an egg batter and fry. I prefer salt and pepper or meat-type spices over cinnamon and sweet stuff for the 'shrooms, but it's easy to experiment.

I'm not a knowledgeable 'shroomer, so please do your own research and be careful. That said, if it's white and round and roughly the size of a volleyball I'll usually bring it home for dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced this last year... I was sitting with my back against a tree facing down into a valley/ravine when to kids about 11-12 ride their bikes up the hill towards me... Im sitting there with only my eyes not covered by something camo.... They get about 5 yards away and finally see me, they just stopped and starred like they've never seen someone hunting before...just gave a little wave and down the hill they went

I was up to 5 bikers on Monday!  The solo one with white pants or shorts flying through the woods really caught my eye but he would not stop and give me a broadside shot!  LOL j/k

That was Rocky Point.  First time in the area, nice spot.  Called 2 doe into 7 yards but they busted me and I did not want to take a front shot.  Did not see them until 10 yards.  Mother doe and a yearling it looked like.  Very interesting hunting with so many people in the area.  I see you have to pattern the people and the deer, lol. 

Years ago when I first started bow hunting, it was like  semi-wilderness hunting experience. And that was state land. There weren't a whole lot of people that even knew about bowhunting, and it was quite a few years before I actually saw another bowhunter in the woods. Bikers and hikers?..... never. You honestly had the feeling that you were the only guy in the woods throughout the whole valley. Compared to those days, the woods today is pretty screwed up. That's what makes me a bit over sensitive about gangs of people in the woods when I am trying to bowhunt. But now I try to content myself with knowing that I am one of the few still alive that will ever have experienced that quality of a bowhunt from years ago. So know when I see some guy jogging along the mountain-bike trails like some kind of pimped-out gazelle in his spandex fluorescent shirt and shorts, while I am trying to bowhunt, all I can do anymore is just chuckle and remember a time when these aggravations just simply didn't happen....lol. Times change, but not necessarily always for the better.