Proper Way to Tag

rj23nyr

Hey, In the past I have just filled out my deer tag and kept it with my license.  I got to talking with an out-of-state friend about bear hunting and I mentioned this.  He said I'm doing it wrong and the tag has to be attached to the body.  He showed me a picture of a metal tag fixed to a moose antler as an example.  I don't see how that would work with these crappy paper NY tags.  I did a few google searches and typed in "how to tag" on this forum but I didn't get any answer.

Can you guys explain the proper way to tag?  For deer and bear?  Thanks.

the tag must be filled out as soon a the kill. not dragging or gutting. fill the tag out. It does not have to be attached until you reach the point of transportation but must stay with the deer.  (example---in you pocket). They give you this consideration so it doesn't become lost while dragging the deer.

If you have the deer outside while transporting use a zip lock bag and wire tie, this will protect it from wind and rain.  Otherwise that is usually the first thing I do is TRY to fill my tag, usually the fever hits me after I down the deer. 

the tag must be filled out as soon a the kill. not dragging or gutting. fill the tag out. It does not have to be attached until you reach the point of transportation but must stay with the deer.  (example---in you pocket). They give you this consideration so it doesn't become lost while dragging the deer.

If you use a quad to take it out of the woods it has to be on the deer. (just adding that point)

• Like 1

If you use a quad to take it out of the woods it has to be on the deer. (just adding that point)

I agree but  have to be honest. Where I come from at some of the areas are very thick and not much room. would be easy to rip it off. I don't put it on until I hit a good trail or the road. I know to the letter I am wrong but I have spent hours trying to find a ripped off tag once. Can't remember the year but I know it was a GREEN tag....lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I agree but  have to be honest. Where I come from at some of the areas are very thick and not much room. would be easy to rip it off. I don't put it on until I hit a good trail or the road. I know to the letter I am wrong but I have spent hours trying to find a ripped off tag once. Can't remember the year but I know it was a GREEN tag....lol

2012 was green.  You must be getting old Culver - that's only 2 years ago.  lol

the tag must be filled out as soon a the kill. not dragging or gutting. fill the tag out. It does not have to be attached until you reach the point of transportation but must stay with the deer. (example---in you pocket). They give you this consideration so it doesn't become lost while dragging the deer.

+1

The ECO's here will let you go without attaching the tag to the carcass, as long as it's still in contact with the ground.  Hoist it up on your shoulders, bicycle, quad, golf cart, car, pickup truck, or tractor, and it better have the tag attached, or they'll take it.  I watched it happen to a buddy of mine last season.

• Like 1

Well when your dragging the deer you don't have to attach the tag but when it comes time to attach it I usually put it around the antler or through the ear with a ziptie. Now I don't know where i would put it with a bear since I wouldn't want to damage any of the fur...even on the ear. 

The part couple of years I've been.filling.it.the tage and sticking.it in.the deers mouth I've also suck.it inside of the ear and wrapped a zip tie around the ear closing the ear do the trade can't come out

• Like 1

The ECO's here will let you go without attaching the tag to the carcass, as long as it's still in contact with the ground.  Hoist it up on your shoulders, bicycle, quad, golf cart, car, pickup truck, or tractor, and it better have the tag attached, or they'll take it.  I watched it happen to a buddy of mine last season.

That doesn't sound right - now you have me thinking if I understand the rules correctly.

Of course, the tag has to be filled out right away. As far as attachment, however, I don't see how they "let you go" in the above.

Tag does not have to be attached until "you get to the camp or vehicle." Actually, EC law states "and shall attach it to the deer, except that it need not be attached to  the deer  while  it is being dragged or physically carried by the taker to a camp or point where other transportation is available."

Quad, pickup - I guess even a bicycle - would qualify as "transportation." My understanding is that even if you drag it behind your ATV, the tag still needs to be attached. It has nothing to do "with ground contact," and I don't see that term in the rules.

On the other hand, dragging by hand or carrying on your shoulders should NOT require attachment of the tag - whether in contact with the ground or not. That would be "physically carry."

Am I misunderstanding something?

BTW - OP - Google "dec tag deer" and the DEC website with the answer will be at or near the top of the list. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html has a section on it. As bad as government agencies can be, the DEC website is actually fairly informative.

Edited by jrm