What was your first deer ever ?

Slickbowht

Sometime in the early '80's,town of Ontario near Webster boarder. Long barrel rem. mod.11 came to,some Tinks 69 .

Wish I still had that sweater ..... Last time Tinks worked for me.

post-253-0-60405400-1413388388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

I don't really consider this my first kill since someone else ended up with the deer.  I was 17, sitting by myself and got a shot at a doe.  She went down with my 4th shot.  She stayed down for a while but staggered back up and ran out of sight before I could get another shot off.  My uncle who I was hunting with told me to stay put if I did get to shoot at anything so I did.  By the time he got to me and we went looking for her some other dude was already gutting her and had NO issues with taking a kids first deer.  You could say my hunting career got off to a rousing start!  LOL

I don't really consider this my first kill since someone else ended up with the deer. I was 17, sitting by myself and got a shot at a doe. She went down with my 4th shot. She stayed down for a while but staggered back up and ran out of sight before I could get another shot off. My uncle who I was hunting with told me to stay put if I did get to shoot at anything so I did. By the time he got to me and we went looking for her some other dude was already gutting her and had NO issues with taking a kids first deer. You could say my hunting career got off to a rousing start! LOL

I actually had thay happen with my first buck....i was hunting behind my parents house and there was this lil gully with a creek running thru it. was only about 60 yards wide and open fields on both sides. Well as I was out there constantly all year round I knew the deer laid in the brush so I used to stand on the bank above it and throw some rocks into it to get the deer to stand up. Well it worked and a 4 point stood up and was looking away from me so I pulled up and shot him. He dropped. My dad was sitting in my stand at the other end of gully so I went to get hin stoked as you can imagine so we crossed the creek to retrieve deer only to see it was slowly running towards the woods. So we went to point of exit and started to look and see blood when the landowners brother who was up for the holidays came up and started yelling at us and saying we didn't have permission when I had a signed slip saying we did....i told him I had one down and wanted to retrieve it he told me and my dad to buzz off. I went home called the owner and he asked me to let it go and his bro th e would be gone by end of week. Needless to say that deer was hanging from the tree in the owners yard. Took me 6 years to finally shoot a buck after that...

I actually had thay happen with my first buck....i was hunting behind my parents house and there was this lil gully with a creek running thru it. was only about 60 yards wide and open fields on both sides. Well as I was out there constantly all year round I knew the deer laid in the brush so I used to stand on the bank above it and throw some rocks into it to get the deer to stand up. Well it worked and a 4 point stood up and was looking away from me so I pulled up and shot him. He dropped. My dad was sitting in my stand at the other end of gully so I went to get hin stoked as you can imagine so we crossed the creek to retrieve deer only to see it was slowly running towards the woods. So we went to point of exit and started to look and see blood when the landowners brother who was up for the holidays came up and started yelling at us and saying we didn't have permission when I had a signed slip saying we did....i told him I had one down and wanted to retrieve it he told me and my dad to buzz off. I went home called the owner and he asked me to let it go and his bro th e would be gone by end of week. Needless to say that deer was hanging from the tree in the owners yard. Took me 6 years to finally shoot a buck after that...

Man, if things like that don't leave bad tastes in your mouth forever?  I know people try to tell me that there are bad apples and scoundrels everywhere, and it's true there are, but I will NEVER be convinced that there aren't even MORE of them in the hunting world.  It's supposed to be a nice, relaxing outdoor pastime, yet the sky is the limit to what you will come across.  Simply boggles my mind!

My first deer was a 3 point, spike on one side and fork on the other.

I shot him the day after Thanksgiving, 1966 with an old Win m37 single shot 12 gauge and a paper cased Super X slug that one of my buddies had given me.

I was so excited that I did not realize at first that he had 3 points..I dragged him a couple hundred yards by the SPIKE, wearing a large blister on my palm, before I realized he had a FORK on the other side I could get a better grip on.

Edited by Pygmy

Yea but for that one experience I've had 100 good ones so I don't look back at it.....i once had a complete strange help me drag out a huge doe I had shot and had been dragging for a few hours completely exhausted....so for that I believe there are many many more good ones out there...

There definitely are some good eggs, but in all honestly the percentage of bad ones is quite high when I compare it to other activities I've participated in in my life.  Wish it wasn't this way, but that's been my experience anyway.  

Stoneaem2006

one of the biggest deer I was after for 4 years was shot last year by anouther hunter 300 yards from my stand I decided not to hunt that day I was about 500 yards from the shooter

I offered to help drag carry guns even take it through my property as it was a closer drag then to their truck

they were amazed I was not mad after I told them how long I have been after him

told them that was hunting & this is how I was raised

If I see anyone dragging I always offer to help either drag or carry gear

Edited by gfdeputy2
  • Like 2