Best eating

Doc

We had a pheasant one time that was spectacular. The only problem was the few lead shot pellets that we missed. I had a mallard that came out pretty good. i don't know the recipes that made those taste so good. My wife comes up with the cooking techniques, and she's damn good at it.

Another meat that might surprise people is deer liver and onions. To me that is the best part of the deer. 

• Like 1

I think location, company present, preparation; can all play a part in memorable game meals and might skew my answer, but;

Caribou my experience has always been near the top. Moose always seems to be terrific.

But then theres individual meals that are very memorable.

Shot an Iberian Mouflon sheep in N. Spain, and the little hotel of like 8 rooms with a pub and restaurant on the first floor cooked half the loin whole bone in and the other side as grilled stuffed chops with goat cheese, herbs and a wine sauce. White beans in olive oil, onion, garlic as a side. There was maybe 2 dozen locals, and that was just awesome. Local band,bit of drinking,some dancing well into the night. Barcelona and N.Spain> best food anywhere I have travelled, across the board awesome.

Go out of my way for a Zebra steak, have had that several times and rates in top 5.

Red Deer pastrami made from a whole loin, rolled in cracked pepper.

Cape Buffalo tenderloin grilled over a mopane fire. “Mo-paan-ee” is to braai in southern Africa as mesquite is to a beef steak in Texas; after like a 18 hr day in temps never below 90* even at night, dinner never tasted better.

Ground Gemsbok , served into fist sized split sweet roll like a pocket, topped with goat cheese,green onion, and a sauce from a local berry. I shot a second animal to make sure we could have that again as a final meal in camp when asked what I’d like to have a second time. I would have used the meat off a week old rib cage hanging as leopard bait to have that again.

Same camp had a Klipspringer stew, made with a burgundy wine,rosemary sauce served over basmati rice.Klipspringer is a small antelope, about 15-20 lbs, quills for hair, hops from rock to rock, rarely found on soil, eats grass growing between the boulders.

Anything Enigma that posts on here would make. That boy knows good eats and how to cook.

• Like 5

My nephew (who has never hunted in the US) has done (2) South African Safari hunts.  He said that the zebra was very good.  The only thing he liked better was some small, antelope looking thing (maybe a “springbuck”).  He didn’t especially care for the wildebeast.  Unfortunately, they were not able to bring any meat home.  They could only bring the mounted heads home.  

I have always wanted to try horse, which I bet tastes very similar to zebra, but it is illegal to serve in the US.  If I ever get to Canada or Mexico again, I’m goin to try some.  

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I have always wanted to try horse, which I bet tastes very similar to zebra, but it is illegal to serve in the US.  If I ever get to Canada or Mexico again, I’m goin to try some.  

Yeah.........Why wouldn't horse meaty be good? They eat just like a cow.

I've eaten at a famous Vietnamese restaurant in Sydney that rotates atop a high tower. They had a meat bar where you could try a bunch of different animals, some good, some...not so much. I will say that camel tastes like a barn floor.

As for wild game, it's tough to beat venison loin in ginger lime marinade done on skewers over charcoal. But as stated above, preparation has a lot to do with it.

Here's our recipe - this is the best marinade I've ever tasted on venison.

• 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 garlic gloves chopped

We often substitute 1 tsp ground ginger and garlic for fresh with no regrets.

Edited by knehrke