Question For FSW

Lawdwaz

Your statement in the other locked thread:

"But one will never feel what the word Hunting” really means until one finds, scouts, learns and hunts down one single mature whitetail buck one on one and go until they kill that one buck or bust."

I think you're embellishing your skills a bit.  One buck and only ONE buck is your target?   Any of the other lesser bucks (lesser by just a skootch) cruise by are going to get killed, just that one buck that you've found, scouted, learned and are hunting?  

You can talk the talk of course about that ONE buck after he hits the dirt but until he hits the dirt he's one of a handful on your radar, yea? (One buck or bust)

Hopefully fasteddie doesn't pull the plug on this Q&A thread.

3 minutes ago, airedale said:

Hopefully he does because it is nothing more than trolling for the start of a shitshow!!!

Al

I'd just like some clarity to the statement, Al. 

My belief is he'll clear things up with an answer to the question as he won't duck and run, that's the cowards way out, not his.

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'd just like some clarity to the statement, Al. 

Sorry, I am not buying it and anyone with a half a brain knows what you are up to, these arguing bullshit threads need to be nipped in the bud.

Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Your statement in the other locked thread:

"But one will never feel what the word Hunting” really means until one finds, scouts, learns and hunts down one single mature whitetail buck one on one and go until they kill that one buck or bust."

I think you're embellishing your skills a bit.  One buck and only ONE buck is your target?   Any of the other lesser bucks (lesser by just a skootch) cruise by are going to get killed, just that one buck that you've found, scouted, learned and are hunting?  

You can talk the talk of course about that ONE buck after he hits the dirt but until he hits the dirt he's one of a handful on your radar, yea? (One buck or bust)

Hopefully fasteddie doesn't pull the plug on this Q&A thread.

I will answer your question once and only once. It’s always the same old few that put words into my posts that are not even said and we all know there is a reason for that. If you would have read the posts…. And I showed you the pictures so you can see the caliber of bucks involved. All like the one I harvested were in the high 120’s to 30 maybe so really none of the 3 this year were lesser. Although an easy 15-20 lesser bucks were passed. I locate and hunt the biggest bucks my area has to offer for that season and any lesser buck will not do. Period. It’s a target buck or larger of course if one happens to drift thru as all hunters know the rut will move them in and move them out.  You see the date on the camera picture when I first found the buck I harvested and I never killed that deer until the end of bow season. I have over 40 trail cameras and 17 tree stands thru out my hunting area on the park and the farm. I had pictures of those bucks in probably a 3 mile area from the Hogsback to the bottom of Highbanks And Silver Creek back to the farm. They sure did not hang together so it definitely was a one on one thing depending on which camera showed me which buck showed up where and when and then I hunt accordingly.  A tad more to it then sitting in a heated box blind waiting for any buck to show up. 

I agree with airedale, these kinds of argumentative threads should be taken off into private messaging, just to maintain a little peace in the forum. Let's not get sucked into another one of those thread-fights. The two of you can battle it out privately.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

I will answer your question once and only once. It’s always the same old few that put words into my posts that are not even said and we all know there is a reason for that. If you would have read the posts…. And I showed you the pictures so you can see the caliber of bucks involved. All like the one I harvested were in the high 120’s to 30 maybe so really none of the 3 this year were lesser. Although an easy 15-20 lesser bucks were passed. I locate and hunt the biggest bucks my area has to offer for that season and any lesser buck will not do. Period. It’s a target buck or larger of course if one happens to drift thru as all hunters know the rut will move them in and move them out.  You see the date on the camera picture when I first found the buck I harvested and I never killed that deer until the end of bow season. I have over 40 trail cameras and 17 tree stands thru out my hunting area on the park and the farm. I had pictures of those bucks in probably a 3 mile area from the Hogsback to the bottom of Highbanks And Silver Creek back to the farm. They sure did not hang together so it definitely was a one on one thing depending on which camera showed me which buck showed up where and when and then I hunt accordingly.  A tad more to it then sitting in a heated box blind waiting for any buck to show up. 

So it’s not exactly one particular buck as you stated but numerous bucks that meet your criteria that you’d kill.     That makes more sense……

Btw, many here (and over there) pass lots of bucks for one reason or another throughout the archery and firearms seasons.

Two years ago I spent a ton of time in the woods. Had two target bucks that I didn't waiver on. I actually got a shot but missed. I let so many bucks walk by it was nuts. I would send videos to the guys showing them. I was told I was crazy! I learned a lot that year. I enjoyed the challenge and the time in the woods. Its different for everyone. Doing this kept me in the woods a long time. If I settled on a smaller buck that time probably would of been a lot less. Am I a better hunter for it, I think so in my mind. Again everyone has a mission and they set their own goals. 

I’m sure I passed 20+ bucks (within killing range of the weapon in my hands at that time) and I’m no better for it.   Lol

So much depends on deer density numbers, proximity to hunting grounds, amount of time said hunter has to devote to this and on and on.    

What animal and how a hunter chooses to fulfill his desire's is a personal matter.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’m sure I passed 20+ bucks (within killing range of the weapon in my hands at that time) and I’m no better for it.   Lol

So much depends on deer density numbers, proximity to hunting grounds, amount of time said hunter has to devote to this and on and on.    

What animal and how a hunter chooses to fulfill his desire's is a personal matter.   

Yes, and whichever way one chooses to go about it it's still called "hunting".   The meaning of the word doesn't change.  Hunting has been around forever and I'm sure the hunters of 1000 years ago weren't challenging themselves and holding off for the biggest or best.  They killed what they could to survive.  We obviously don't need to hunt to survive these days but again the concept is the same as it always was.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

True words. Some years there is only 1 target buck that fits the bill and it’s that or nothing. Last year it was 2 bucks and I missed out. The easy part is to see and pass 15-20 other bucks a year. The hard part is to find the 120-30 mature bucks and hunt just them until harvest or bust.  That’s the real challenge. Total different animals. The word to Hunt might be one word and meaning but there sure is different challenges that totally change the game. After 50 plus years I have felt all there is to feel in hunting and one will never feel that feeling until they complete the biggest challenge possible. Fact. 

Edited by Four Seasons

1 hour ago, First-light said:

Two years ago I spent a ton of time in the woods. Had two target bucks that I didn't waiver on. I actually got a shot but missed. I let so many bucks walk by it was nuts. I would send videos to the guys showing them. I was told I was crazy! I learned a lot that year. I enjoyed the challenge and the time in the woods. Its different for everyone. Doing this kept me in the woods a long time. If I settled on a smaller buck that time probably would of been a lot less. Am I a better hunter for it, I think so in my mind. Again everyone has a mission and they set their own goals. 

This is a sincere question, would you have still done the above if you still lived on LI and had a full time job. I do extremely well for a city slicker, but I could see things change if I lived at camp and didn't have a full time job. I think we all have reasons for what we do. The problem is there are some on here that speak to others in condescending ways because they don't aspire to harvest what they consider a trophy. 

• Like 3

It's ALL just hunting! 

From the hunter who just wants to put any deer in their freezer. To one that passes multiple bucks, looking for "the one" or anything in between. We are all individuals. With different asperations and goals. Different priorities, and amounts of time, that can be given to hunting. One should never feel superior, or lesser, because of what they choose to hunt!! And one should NEVER as a sportsman, put themselves above, anyone else because of how they choose to hunt!! It's as simple as that. It does not have to be a big argument. Or a condemnation of others, because they hunt a different way, or hold a different view.

I stayed out of the thread that was closed. I don't want to start pointing fingers here either. But it was closed because of one person. The detriment of that thread was not the thread itself. But someone with a bigger opinion of themself than the opinion of those participating in that thread. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

It's ALL just hunting! 

From the hunter who just wants to put any deer in their freezer. To one that passes multiple bucks, looking for "the one" or anything in between. We are all individuals. With different asperations and goals. Different priorities, and amounts of time, that can be given to hunting. One should never feel superior, or lesser, because of what they choose to hunt!! And one should NEVER as a sportsman, put themselves above, anyone else because of how they choose to hunt!! It's as simple as that. It does not have to be a big argument. Or a condemnation of others, because they hunt a different way, or hold a different view.

I stayed out of the thread that was closed. I don't want to start pointing fingers here either. But it was closed because of one person. The detriment of that thread was not the thread itself. But someone with a bigger opinion of themself than the opinion of those participating in that thread. 

Once again you’re all wet. I made the statement that nobody will know the feeling of picking out a mature whitetail buck  of 120-30 inches and hunting only that buck until harvest, passing every other buck of lesser size. Fact.                                                What others read between the lines and throws their stupid little comments like it’s bragging or better then someone else well that’s just the same people’s weakness showing ones again. Again if one thinks that does not take another level to achieve then again shows what they don’t know.regardless of who does it just like the guy the original post was started about. It’s not for everyone but it’s my choice like 1000’s of other hunters I could give two shits how they enjoy shooting little bucks for whatever their reason but just because after 50 years of shooting inferior bucks and need a challenge when I hit the woods now that changes nothing except my way of hunting. And usually when some see the results they…same ones over and over…they call it bragging or being above others. Again, just showing their weakness. 

4 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

This is a sincere question, would you have still done the above if you still lived on LI and had a full time job. I do extremely well for a city slicker, but I could see things change if I lived at camp and didn't have a full time job. I think we all have reasons for what we do. The problem is there are some on here that speak to others in condescending ways because they don't aspire to harvest what they consider a trophy. 

You touched upon an important aspect of my hunting as it has evolved. First those big bucks I targeted were never on camera I saw them in the woods. Second driving 6 hrs limits hunting time. I probably would of shot a very respectable buck and NOT have gone after those two bucks. Like I said being in the woods 95% of the time opens your eyes to some really special animals. I'm very lucky where I hunt and always seem to run into a giant every season. If I caught wind of one of them early in the season, while still traveling to hunt, I would target that buck. But knowing I'll run out of time a decent buck would hit the ground last weekend. We shot 3 real nice ones this year. I remember Steve saying thats pretty amazing most folks don't have that opportunity. I was at the Taxi the other day he asked why I didn't bring in any deer to mount. I'm 60 have some real nice ones on the wall. I told him next buck I bring in will have to score over 140-150. He was actually working on a 157 shot right down the road from me. I saw it alive. That's what it has to be. Now I will never ever belittle a hunter over the animal they shoot. Your tag your choice but I have manage to see how QDM in the right area will increase your chances at a really nice buck if that is what you choose to hunt. The girls and guys that hunt my property also have seen that. I ask everyone before opening day to try to better their biggest buck and not to shoot yearlings. Shit happens I don't get upset, I just want them to have a great experience. I can remember one of the guys could only make opening week. Loves venison so I told him you can do whatever you want. I wouldn't be a dick about it. He took a spike and a yearling Doe. He had a smile on his face when he left and I felt good also. So after a long story I'll make it short. I probably would shoot a smaller buck if my time was limited being 6 hrs away. When I say smaller buck I mean a real big 6 or handsome 8 or 10! 

• Like 1

It’s been over 10 years since I’ve killed a legally antlered deer with less than 3 points on a side.  I aim to do something about that this year.  Hopefully, a 3-1/8” spike will wander into range, before something bigger does.  No more passes for me.  

I’d rather leave those big antlers for the folks who appreciate them more.  Its all about the meat for me.  I used to pass 1.5 year old bucks for two reasons, both of which are no longer a concern.

First, prior to 2021, it was nearly impossible to fill antlerless tags around here after October first, because the local farmers picked off so many on their nuisance permits.   Now, it’s a lot easier because I can have at them with guns in September.  I can no longer use the excuse of holding out for a larger bodied buck, with my buck tag, to get more meat.

Second, I always wanted to save my gun buck tag until Thanksgiving weekend, so that I could hunt the Northern zone then.   Last year was the first of 12 seasons up there that I didn’t even see a deer, and I hunted (12) days.   No sense saving a buck tag for that.  I’ll be content with grouse and bear hunting up there from here on out.  

I will save my antlerless only bow/ML tag for up there though.  That’s easy to do because I can always get (4) dmps for my home dmu.  

Edited by wolc123

• 1 month later...

It's pretty obvious that we all have different ideas as to what we need to get out of our hunting experiences. If a hunter needs to hunt for numbers, measurements and other such contrived ways of impressing others, it is entirely possible that they are the ones missing out on the real pleasures of hunting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's pretty obvious that we all have different ideas as to what we need to get out of our hunting experiences. If a hunter needs to hunt for numbers, measurements and other such contrived ways of impressing others, it is entirely possible that they are the ones missing out on the real pleasures of hunting. 

Not sure why anyone that hunts anything is missing out on anything. You think a guy that only kills 120in deer or better misses any part of the big picture of hunting?  Hell No. They actually get more. They get the thrill of beating one of the smartest animals in the woods one on one on their turf. They get a great rack to put on the wall along with the most meat an animal can offer. The only person those kind of hunters that succeed need to impress is themselves. Who gives a crap about anyone else. That’s on their insecurities.  

Edited by Four Seasons

4 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Not sure why anyone that hunts anything is missing out on anything. You think a guy that only kills 120in deer or better misses any part of the big picture of hunting?  Hell No. They actually get more. They get the thrill of beating one of the smartest animals in the woods one on one on their turf. They get a great rack to put on the wall along with the most meat an animal can offer. The only person those kind of hunters that succeed need to impress is themselves. Who gives a crap about anyone else. That’s on their insecurities.  

I was talking about the total experience of deer hunting, not just the harvest. There is more to hunting than just numbers and meat. I believe that the whole idea of a scoring system for antlers was devised to put hunters competing against hunters. It is really for the benefit of hunters impressing other hunters with their accomplishments and a numerical method of pitting one hunters harvest against others.

One of my best hunts was down in PA., where I came home with a small doe. She didn't score very good, but we all had a great bow-hunt. Another great hunt was my first bow killed deer. Talk about a score .....Lol....He had two 5" spikes and his antlers have a prominent place on the wall and is the one mount that brings back the best memories of all the other mounts. What I am trying to say is that there is a whole lot more to hunting than simply numbers and scores. I have known the people that go at their hunting like their life depended on it. I guess if they want to go at it like that, that's their business and that's okay as long as they don't start with the preaching and trying to make it my business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I’ve got to plead guilty here on both counts.  First off, my life and that of my family and friends, does depend on hunting.  None of us can survive without food.  Personally, I much prefer wild game, to any other food.  I am not a big fan of most vegetables or of meat from domestically raised livestock.  My wife and kids could probably get by without my hunting and fishing, but I am not so sure that I could. 

I am not big into catch and release when it comes to fishing, so I draw no distinction between those two “hobbies” , which combine to produce much of the protein that my family consumes.

As far as the preaching goes, I recognize that the fate of all living things is determined by one individual, and that is Jesus Christ Himself.  If He puts the fish or game before me and allows me to move it to the top level (mankind’s food supply), then He gets all of the credit.  I ain’t all that good on my own.

IMG_3228.thumb.jpeg.b7df92daa5fdbbce479c747476e80510.jpeg

IMG_3388.thumb.jpeg.3d8d1a106c730263894f7d6d7763dea1.jpeg

I do appreciate the antlers but they matter very little to me, compared to the meat.  Also, I find mature does more challenging to hunt than mature bucks, for multiple reasons.  First off, they don’t have that one weakness, which God gave the males of all species, specifically to make them easier to kill than the females.  It don’t take much skill or know-how to kill a rut-crazed mature buck.  

Edited by wolc123

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I was talking about the total experience of deer hunting, not just the harvest. There is more to hunting than just numbers and meat. I believe that the whole idea of a scoring system for antlers was devised to put hunters competing against hunters. It is really for the benefit of hunters impressing other hunters with their accomplishments and a numerical method of pitting one hunters harvest against others.

One of my best hunts was down in PA., where I came home with a small doe. She didn't score very good, but we all had a great bow-hunt. Another great hunt was my first bow killed deer. Talk about a score .....Lol....He had two 5" spikes and his antlers have a prominent place on the wall and is the one mount that brings back the best memories of all the other mounts. What I am trying to say is that there is a whole lot more to hunting than simply numbers and scores. I have known the people that go at their hunting like their life depended on it. I guess if they want to go at it like that, that's their business and that's okay as long as they don't start with the preaching and trying to make it my business.

Well not sure how that would matter unless one is In a contest against other hunters using scores to beat each other. I have hunted for over 50 years and have went thru every step of hunting there is and matured with the sport. I have enjoyed every part of hunting there is possible every time I step into the woods. I get the same exact enjoyment as every other Hunter except I now also incorporate improving my skills to the maximum and take on only the best of the best of the animal I am hunting. I find 2-3 of the top animals in my area, while I enjoy that part of hunting, without a gun in my hand and then I Hunt Those animals until I either harvest one of them, have something bigger, more mature show up or I run out of time. In which case I eat my tag. A lesser animal harvested does absolutely nothing for me or my herd. I get the same enjoyments of hunting and harvesting a spike of 50 years ago as I do killing nothing but a very mature buck or one scoring 120in or better in a state that does not have them behind every tree. I actually get more out of the hunt when I am successful in the rack,meat and knowing I beat the best of the best in the woods. Not an easy task by any means. 

Edited by Four Seasons

On 1/26/2024 at 3:54 AM, Doc said:

I agree with airedale, these kinds of argumentative threads should be taken off into private messaging, just to maintain a little peace in the forum. Let's not get sucked into another one of those thread-fights. The two of you can battle it out privately.

And it’s always the same ones starting trouble