No Need For Over Kill

DirtTime

You say you do not want to track a giant for hundreds of yards guess what that is what happens when shooting with a bow. How many stories have there been on here from guys who shoy deer with bow and had to track for ever?

While many of us bowhunters also gun hunt, most bowhunters I know prefer to bowhunt 1st and gun hunt second. There are still far more gun hunters than bowhunters and now a lot of them are using a crossbow. There is a different mindset with how long a deer should go, should a shot be in the vitals, neck or head. There's just not the same thinking between hunters.

The last time I checked,dead was dead!!! Who the hell cares what rifle caliber I use,you use,he uses or the man in the moon uses?Just like Greenehunter said shoot whatever tickles your giblets and STFU if you don't like the next guys choice as long as it will do the job!!!

• Like 3

The last time I checked,dead was dead!!! Who the hell cares what rifle caliber I use,you use,he uses or the man in the moon uses?Just like Greenehunter said shoot whatever tickles your giblets and STFU if you don't like the next guys choice as long as it will do the job!!!

A voice of reason .... HOORAH !

• Like 1

Anything bigger than a .243 is overkill.    I use 100 gr ammo.   I know people who use 80 gr.    .243 hunters know they do not track their deer.   It's usually bang - flop.

Oh, come on now, this is REALLY getting out of hand.  What kind of dipstick would stoop so low as to use an 80gr bullet out of a 243 to kill a animal as tough as deer?

Despicable, disgusting and deadly. :)

Circa 2012......Barnes 80gr TTSX on another PA buck:

IMG_3725.jpg

Circa 2013.......'nother Barnes 80gr TTSX, NY buck and same old stud:

IMG_5181_zpsa6d317a4.jpg

And a couple nice doe for good measure (same bullet :) ):

null_zps41b23054.jpg

Too much or too little?  YOU make the call.

• Like 2

Yet people who say they need canon to kill deer in NY throw sticks at them. Makes no sense. You say you do not want to track a giant for hundreds of yards guess what that is what happens when shooting with a bow. How many stories have there been on here from guys who shoy deer with bow and had to track for ever? Some were not till next day some were not found at all. That is waste due to under kill. I kill just fine with my .308 and .243. Buddy of mine uses a .300 wsm and a 7mm yet his deer are no deader then mine. I do not care what size any one uses. I just do not understand why there has to be an arguement about it. Some people like to aim make a good shot and use a smaller round some just like to shoot and put huge holes in the animal no matter where the round hits. big deal to each there own. I just ask if an arrow if fine then why isn't a small caliber gun?

Have you ever tracked a deer shot through the lungs with a 223? have you ever tracked a deer shot with an arrow through the lungs? If so you definitely know the anwer to your own question. 2 different methods of killing. I would rather track the deer shot with the arrow any day of the week. This comes from my personal experience hunting with an old timer that swore by his 223 . Terrible blood trails.

I'm a big believer in using enough gun. I've taken many deer with 12 ga slugs where required, but feel a 20 ga slug from a rifled shotgun is enough. I've taken many deer with a .30-06, but feel my 7mm-08 is enough. I've taken deer with a .243, but feel the 7mm-08 is just as accurate and seems to have the same amount of felt recoil, so I opt for the 7mm-08. I've considered the .223 for deer, but it actually weighs more than the 7mm-08 and accuracy is the same. Therefore, when I hunt deer, I go with the 7mm-08.

If I've filled my buck tag and still have doe tags to fill, I may decide to hunt with any number of other guns just for fun. But when I do, I'm handicapping myself and I know it. But that challenge is what makes it fun.

• Like 2

If you are hunting in NY, you do not need a 300 Mag. You don't even need a 7MM mag. The 25/06, .308, 30/30/. 35 Whelin, or even the 7mm/o8 will kill big game here! Even the popular 30/06 can be argued to be over kill. I will try to find a vey old Petersons Hunting article to prove this one.

The smaller less recoil calibers can be very effective! As long as you spend time on the target range and get a full zero. Hell, a .222 or 22/250 can kill a deer just as fast as the ought 6, and is legal. You just need to get the right bullet for the rifle.

While I'm on the topic of calibers, anyone remember the 30/40 Graig?

my dad has a 30/40 Krag with peep sights from a loooong time ago. He used to hunt deer in Erie ,PA with it

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Oh, come on now, this is REALLY getting out of hand.  What kind of dipstick would stoop so low as to use an 80gr bullet out of a 243 to kill a animal as tough as deer?

Despicable, disgusting and deadly. :)

Circa 2012......Barnes 80gr TTSX on another PA buck:

IMG_3725.jpg

Circa 2013.......'nother Barnes 80gr TTSX, NY buck and same old stud:

IMG_5181_zpsa6d317a4.jpg

And a couple nice doe for good measure (same bullet :) ):

null_zps41b23054.jpg

Too much or too little?  YOU make the call.

I bet NONE of these deer ran far.  I bet the 80 gr put them all down where they stood.

Have you ever tracked a deer shot through the lungs with a 223? have you ever tracked a deer shot with an arrow through the lungs? If so you definitely know the anwer to your own question. 2 different methods of killing. I would rather track the deer shot with the arrow any day of the week. This comes from my personal experience hunting with an old timer that swore by his 223 . Terrible blood trails.

I have tracked deer shot with a bow as has everyone else who has hunted with one. I have only ever tracked 1 deer with a gun that was the first deer I ever shot with one. Sense then I shot them in the head and the drop where they stand no tracking. Why would I want to track one? Anything can happen to cause you to not recover your prize. I know everyone will jump on the head shooting but I do not care about the head gear and inside 200 yards it is a gimme outside 200 front shoulders however My longest opertunity on a deer has been about 130 most are withen 80 yards. I am not knocking anyone here I am just pointing out that people are jumping on others who use small caliber guns because they say you need a cannon to kill deer because you need knock down power. Yet those same people use bows. What is the knock down power of a stick?

I think it is great that we all use different weapons to do the same job.I would rather see a good shooter shoot a deer in the head than a poor shooter emptying their guns while trying to aim for the vitals. I just find it foolish that some will redicule others for being "overgunned"

• Like 2

Exactly ncountry. I believe in aiming and useing one shot not pull trigger till it's empty and hope you hit something. Everyone uses what gets the job done for them and as long as you can make it a good clean kill then you are not over or under gunned. dead is dead and that means you used just the right gun.

The issue is when some people use a larger caliber that causes them to flinch, are afraid to practice with, and as a result are not very accurate with. But they still use these bigger calibers because we as a society of macho hunters make fun of guys who don't care to tolerate the pounding a magnum caliber dishes out. If someone is more comfortable with a smaller caliber, it's legal, and they've been successful with it then I would encourage them to keep using it as oppose to criticizing them for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I personally met a new hunter shooting a 7mm rem mag. Really tall guy but skinny. He took the rifle to the range and maybe shot only a handful of rounds off of it that day. Rubbing his shoulder and rotating his arm after every shot. I asked him why the heck did he get a 7mm rem mag and his response was that he read a few articles and spoke to a few hunters and they all said its what he should get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The facts of the matter are this,there is not a cartridge big enough for A bad shot as there is not one too small for a perfect shot. I would rather hunt with someone proficient with a .223 than some on who has a .338 that they afraid of. I have dropped deer in their tracks with my 10mm Glock and i have Tracked deer along ways with a few ..35 whelen holes in them.

• Like 1