Neck shot ?

luberhill

I know there’s much differing opinions re this shot .

I’ve never taken it but twice now I passed on a decent buck that offered only that shot .

Once with the crossbow at 30 yards and once with a .243 at 50 yards.

I’ve been told it’s a one shot and they are down ..but I’ve heard others say not to risk it ..

Curious as to anyone’s actual experience and if they’ve used it was the shot placed center neck ? 

Frontal neck can kill, it's just more risk I guess. I would think only would be available from the ground. I've heard a ton of people only shoot side neck shots and they drop and don't waste (!?) meat (neck meat is still good!). I guess it depends on the situation and the hunter etc and the deer

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My 1st deer ever with a bow was a 6 point buck . I got him with a neck hit . I was in a permanent tree stand about 16 feet high , 3 bucks were together and I aimed at the last one . They were on a trail about 8 feet from the stand I was in . I aimed for the vitals but stupid me still had my quiver on . There was a 2X4 rail on the stand . When I released , the arrows in the quiver ticked the 2X4 and I hit the buck in the neck and he dropped on the spot . I took the quiver off and put a 2nd arrow in his vitals . I would never have the confidence to actually take a neck shot . 

• Like 1

I have taken several with neck shots, all with rifles and they will drop where they are standing. That being said it must be a good clear shot  and having a solid-steady rest.

As for archery I do not feel I am a good enough shot.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I have taken several with neck shots, all with rifles and they will drop where they are standing. That being said it must be a good clear shot  and having a solid-steady rest.

As for archery I do not feel I am a good enough shot.

Al

Do you just aim center both front to back and up and down ?

My first bow kill was on a yearling. From the ground and shot her in the neck. Severed the windpipe. Ran agout 50 yards thats it. Took a mature buck with a neck shot. Slup hit about and inch in from the underside. Crazy I tell you there was no exit wound. I found this to be impossible but even the processor could not find it. Deer fell in its tracks kicked a bit then died. I was using lightfields slugs and Im told they have some knockdown power. From what it seemed the shot sent a shock wave through the neck and killed the deer.  

• Like 1

I’ve killed (3) with neck shots, The second obe  from the side, from a 10 yard range, with a 16 ga rifled slug.  Only the head and neck were visible that time and I didn’t want to totally destroy the head in the trophy buck so u went for the neck, dropping him dead in his tracks.

The first one was an inadvertent neck shot with my compound bow.   That was actually the last arrow that I ever fired at a deer with a vetical bow and it happened in 2012, the same year as the one up above that I “necked” later with my slug gun.  It must have caught a glimpse of my draw as it passed thru the hedgerow my stand was in, coming from behind me.   When it turned broadside at 25 yards, I released my arrow.  It reared down and back, taking the arrow just below the head.  I had a mechanical broadhead and it ran off with the arrow sticking thru and about equal lengths protruding each side.  The wide blades must have sliced the aorta or jugular because I heard him crash after about a 25 yard dash.  

The last one was the exit on a Perfectly placed Texas heart shot I took on an Adirondack 6-pointer back in 2016, with my scoped 30/06 from a 50 yard range.  Obviously, that one also dropped in its tracks.  That was probably the cleanest guy job I have ever had on a deer and there was no entry wound since the bullet entered the existing hole.  I did loose the neck roast in that one though, which was a shame because that is one of my favorite parts.  The bottom of the heart was also grooved a bit by the passing 150 gr Federal Classic bullet. 

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to take those last two shots again, but I never again used a vertical bow on a deer, after that first one.