Ideas on what's on this deers neck?

SteveNY

That's no fawn.

LOL you did see the time we were posting rt with no coffee yet.... ;)  NOW I see the antler base...

I stick with it looking like a primative broad head...there is clearly "hole" on either side and it comes to a point ...BUT ...it actually looks more spear size than broadhead...is this your cam or a web picture...we don't have spear hunting yet rt? ...but some states do...and reservations...

Edited by growalot

This pic is from a trail camera in PA. Gun season hasn't opened yet, but that dosent rule out some one shooting him with a firearm...

I have more pics, I'll post when I get home.

I actually saw this deer in person last night, that chunk of what ever was just dangling by his neck. Very strange looking, it reminded me of velvet coming off an antler.

Looks to me like a grazing wound from a broadhead or perhaps a bullet with a flap of cut skin hanging down. The deer was broadside and the projectile clipped the brisket and opened up a flesh wound.

As long as the chest cavity was not breached, there is nothing vital there.

Unless he succumbs to infection, he will probably recover..I have seen several deer that survived worse flesh wounds than that and had healed over.

• Like 2

Looks to me like a grazing wound from a broadhead or perhaps a bullet with a flap of cut skin hanging down. The deer was broadside and the projectile clipped the brisket and opened up a flesh wound.

As long as the chest cavity was not breached, there is nothing vital there.

Unless he succumbs to infection, he will probably recover..I have seen several deer that survived worse flesh wounds than that and had healed over.

You're probably right. He looked perfectly fine when I was watching him last night digging up acorns.

You can bet I'm shooting him if he walks by my stand too!

Edited by SteveNY

• 1 month later...

So I ended up shooting this buck during rifle season. Unfortunately I didnt get a good look at his neck like I thought I would. When I found him there were 3 bear on top of him eating him. After chasing them away (they DID NOT want to leave) I saw that they ate through that old neck wound and starting eating around the rear end also.

post-1556-0-00310600-1421805871_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-77934400-1421805890_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-66904100-1421805911_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-05443300-1421805931_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-07825300-1421805948_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-32300400-1421805965_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-35022800-1421805985_thumb.jp

Euro mount I did is here: http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/26424-did-my-own-euro-mount-for-the-first-time/

• Like 1