Comparing legal shooting time to driving the speed limit

regulat0r

God forbid I shoot a deer 5 minutes before or 5 minutes after legal shooting time.Jeeze,come arrest me if you're that frickin lame! While you're at it,make sure you police the hammer lane and drive 55.Enough said!

You had better slow down on the Walworth - Ontario Road . The Troopers keep a good eye on that road . :stop:

• Like 1

Being a Bowhunter only hunter I would check the sunrise/Twilight charts to know what time to get  in the woods. I like getting in when still dark but will never shoot until I can see my pins clearly, who wants to go chasing deer all over the place. When I can't see my pins I am done hunting, in thick woods it is right around legal time anyway give or take a couple minutes.

This post does not make sense... I understand what you are trying to say but comparing it speed limits and speeding is not a good comparison.

First of all, In my neck of the woods, my property is very dense with very low hunting pressure.  I could easily discharge a firearm or bow from my tree stand and not only would I not hurt anyone I doubt if anyone would even hear it.  I think the law is to protect the game.  Most game moves at night, especially the whitetail.  Humans however are usually back in the cabin or house getting some grub and watching some football.

Point I'm making is safety should always be considered number 1.  But follow the law for the purpose of preserving the animal too. 

• Like 1

Shooting a buck before or after legal shooting time is not only illegal, but also not considered fair chase... so if you wouldn't want to kill a high fence deer because it isn't fair chase.. then it stands to reason that you wouldn't want to kill a deer before or after legal shooting hours... yet we seem to have some who are quite conflicted.. talking the talk seems to be easy for some of you... but walking the walk not so much. But, whatever, as long as you can kill a deer right? Because that's what's really important. :senile:

• Like 1

So much talk about such a simple thing.

The law is clear, whether speed limits or shooting hours.

You make the decision whether obey it or violate it.

If you violate it and Officer Ferndip writes you a ticket, pay your fine and don't WHINE....

• Like 3

The comparison is not a valid one.

Speed limits are essentially arbitrary numbers. The roads and vehicles are engineered for safe use at higher speeds. Enforcement is set, to some degree, with this in mind. No one gets a ticket for going 1, 2 or three miles over the limit. Typically, 10 miles over the posted limit is the magic number where enforcement starts. 

55 was enacted in the 70s as a gas saving measure, not a  safety measure. Despite its repeal, many places still maintain the arbitrary 55 limit. 

I believe the federal standard is supposed to be the "rule of 85" - basically the "proper" speed limit is the speed at which the 85th percentile of drivers are traveling at (with some restrictions and limitations). If that was used, most posted limits would be considerably higher.

Keeping the limit unnaturally low makes it easier to generate funds by writing tickets. That's what most current posted limits are about... generating more tax revenue.

Based on the history, enforcement practices and true purpose of speed limits, I don't think it is a valid comparison to rules around legal shooting times.

1+ min past the legal time on the last day of the season means you shot a deer out of season. So to me there is no difference between a deer shot out of season by 1min, 30min, or 6 months in the middle of June. To those of you can shoot a deer out of season and be proud with it on your wall, that's your choice. But I just couldn't do it.

By the way, I don't see how the speed limit is a relevant comparison. If you want to compare to cars, it would be leaving the starting line early in a race. It's cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

No, it does not make you a hypocrite.  Driving isn't a constant.  Speed constantly fluctuates when traveling.  For instance, if someone is driving too slow and you need to pass them, it would require accelerating quickly enough to pass them probably moving North of the speed limit a little bit.  This is not against the law, that is also why we have striped yellow lines - a legal area to pass.  It's common sense you'll have to speed up a little bit to pass the slower moving object.

On the other hand, if a cell phone says 5:00 it's 5:00.  Notice I said cell phone, every phone is constant due to satellite positioning.  The DEC has to establish a time or it would chaos. 

Would I call or turn in a neighbor if I hear a shot a few minutes after legal shooting, of course not, but does that make it LEGAL, of course not!!!

• Like 1

In the real world if the law was 30 before and after a person could not push it any further because it would be freakin dark out. We carry a pretty safe record here in Ny and as you can see from just this little group, most already go by their own time limit....And we still have that same good safe record!!!

• Like 3

FSW ---- Hunters are shooting in the dark prior to 30 minutes before sunup . Yes , they are shooting in the dark .

Judgement call most days as some are brighter than others but still with all the so called law breakers out there doing their thing by shooting early and we still have such a good safe record in Ny?

• Like 1

No, it does not make you a hypocrite. Driving isn't a constant. Speed constantly fluctuates when traveling. For instance, if someone is driving too slow and you need to pass them, it would require accelerating quickly enough to pass them probably moving North of the speed limit a little bit. This is not against the law, that is also why we have striped yellow lines - a legal area to pass. It's common sense you'll have to speed up a little bit to pass the slower moving object.

On the other hand, if a cell phone says 5:00 it's 5:00. Notice I said cell phone, every phone is constant due to satellite positioning. The DEC has to establish a time or it would chaos.

Would I call or turn in a neighbor if I hear a shot a few minutes after legal shooting, of course not, but does that make it LEGAL, of course not!!!

Wrong you can not go " north" of the speed limit to pass.

• Like 1

The question relates to compliance with laws. Well, do you pick and choose what other laws to abide by. You used the speed limit vs. the shooting hours law. How about having a license? Do you believe that that law should be left up to the discretion of the individual? How about bag limits? Is that one that you can abide by or not depending on how you feel. Should you be able to shoot a deer even though you don't have any tags left. Directly at the law in question, do you believe that people should ignore the illegality of shooting deer after dark. What the heck your out there with your gun in the dark and you have a good light ..... go for it.....right?

The fact is that you can ignore any law you want to, but ignoring a law is wrong whether it be game laws or vehicular operation laws. You may choose to ignore the law, but don't pretend that there is something right about doing so.

When you talk about compliance of our laws you should mention that the Gov't that makes the laws doesn't even abide by the laws they are swarn to uphold. So they are not a good example for us to follow, if they don't follow the laws then why should anyone else.

• Like 1

No, it does not make you a hypocrite. Driving isn't a constant. Speed constantly fluctuates when traveling. For instance, if someone is driving too slow and you need to pass them, it would require accelerating quickly enough to pass them probably moving North of the speed limit a little bit. This is not against the law, that is also why we have striped yellow lines - a legal area to pass. It's common sense you'll have to speed up a little bit to pass the slower moving object.

On the other hand, if a cell phone says 5:00 it's 5:00. Notice I said cell phone, every phone is constant due to satellite positioning. The DEC has to establish a time or it would chaos.

Would I call or turn in a neighbor if I hear a shot a few minutes after legal shooting, of course not, but does that make it LEGAL, of course not!!!

It is not LEGAL to go over the speed limit to pass. If you go 1mph over the speed limit you are just as much of an outlaw as someone that shoots a deer 15minutes after the arbitrary number set by this Nanny state known as legal shooting hours.
  • Like 1

It is not LEGAL to go over the speed limit to pass. If you go 1mph over the speed limit you are just as much of an outlaw as someone that shoots a deer 15minutes after the arbitrary number set by this Nanny state known as legal shooting hours.

BS ---- It's apples and oranges !

• Like 2

How? A law is a law. If you steal a lollipop or a TV you are a thief. If you break a Law you are a criminal period. We as citizens have desensitized our selves to certain laws due to the leeway we are given by law enforcement. For some reason people try to think that a hunting law is biblical but laws pertaining to automobiles are different. The only difference is the way law enforcement enforces them.

When you talk about compliance of our laws you should mention that the Gov't that makes the laws doesn't even abide by the laws they are swarn to uphold. So they are not a good example for us to follow, if they don't follow the laws then why should anyone else.

How can a better statement than this be made. Some of us had this pointed out years ago and have since decide what,where,when and if to abide by the so called laws that are best for us. In this state? A Joke. Go south where a cop will tell you to carry a gun to protect yourself because he says....He May Not Be There To Protect YOU!  And thats only 1 law.

Buckmaster, tell you what. We will do a comparison since you are comparing apples and oranges... Fast Eddie is spot on. I will drive 1 mph over the speed limit right pass any law enforcement you can think of, you call DEC officer to your woods and take a shot 30 min after dark. Guess where I will be, heading right on down the road, you however will be begging for mercy while you hand over your firearm. Bottom line, it boils down to INTEGRITY, to quote C.S Lewis "doing the right thing even if no one is watching."

Buckmaster, tell you what. We will do a comparison since you are comparing apples and oranges... Fast Eddie is spot on. I will drive 1 mph over the speed limit right pass any law enforcement you can think of, you call DEC officer to your woods and take a shot 30 min after dark. Guess where I will be, heading right on down the road, you however will be begging for mercy while you hand over your firearm. Bottom line, it boils down to INTEGRITY, to quote C.S Lewis "doing the right thing even if no one is watching."

Actually, I believe the minimum speeding citation is 3-6 MPH over the limit. The fines go up in increments of speed but I don't remember the other increments. I was in court for a rather large 22 MPH over the limit speeding ticket once & the JP was reading the increments off. So, by that, I wouldn't think a 2 MPH over the limit ticket would not have any legal basis in court.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I can't c the DEC bothering to come out for some one shooting a half hour before or after the time unless it was a trespass issue. Im surrounded and hunt private land.Could be different on public land but around here it's as common as some one in Colarado smoking a joint, yes technically it's illegal but half the people are doing it. Sounded like a war zone Sunday till you couldn't c anymore.