Comparing legal shooting time to driving the speed limit

regulat0r

So if you drive at a speed in excess of the posted speed limit when you have a speedometer 2 feet from your face it's an accident but if I shoot a deer 2 minutes after "legal" shooting times because I forfot to check my watch it is an "intentional illegal act" come on, give me a break.

I hope I never find myself on the same road as you if you are driving down the road constantly staring at your speedometer. As far as inadvertently shooting after hours, you are (or should be) aware when that magical time is getting close. I have never been caught by surprise with quitting time getting by me while on stand ...... ever. The only time that things get out of control in terms quitting time would be if you fell asleep, or just didn't give a damn.

These two threads... using others tags and this...has made me realize the difference, other than gender, between woman and male hunters....our "woman hood" isn't connected to a dead deer, racked or other wise... I see that many male hunters man hoods are firmly attached to them and racks. Why else are they so quick to justify going out side the law and then presuming others must be do it as well? Why not just try to change the laws instead of breaking them, if you think they are so restricting ? I'm pretty sure if it was 10 mins. after close or you had already filled your tag but your dads was open...and a 140" class buck walked by......Your junk wouldn't fall off if you passed on it...well most of ya at least :rolleyes:

I don't think racks have anything to do with it.  I think plenty of people (male and female) would kill any deer they had a tag for a few minutes before or after legal shooting time.  It's not like they are jack-lighting deer in the middle of the night.  99% of these people would NEVER think of doing that.  At least I wouldn't.  I just think those who say they unload their guns exactly the second legal shooting time ends are not being 100% truthful.  It has NOTHING to do with male or female.  It's probably against employer rules of many male and female members here to be posting on forums such as this during work hours, yet we still do it.  So tell me what rule or regulation isn't sidestepped by people every single minute of the day?  I can't think of one.  And I sure as heck won't be the one saying that I abide by every single rule someone is throwing at me.  I am only being honest.  If others can't be honest, then what can I say?  I surely won't buy into the idea that they never stray like they are trying to convince me here that they don't.

• Like 1

Personally.. my home state is 1/2 hour before to a 1/2 hour after... Still plenty of light for safety... If you don't feel like you are being safe, you should stop hunting and leave... But I'm not sure if NY will ever change that law..

At least I hope they don't. Just a few days ago a guy shot next to the house and it was almost exactly 1/2 hour after sunset. I looked out, and that guy had absolutely no way of seeing anybody in the thicket directly behind that deer (blaze orange or not). Sure it was an unusually heavily overcast evening with even a touch of fog, but that describes most of November and early December. For some reason people think that as long as they can make out the outline of the deer, everything is fine for pulling that trigger. I don't share that opinion. Really ..... Are we getting that desperate these days? No, the DEC happened to get that regulation right, and hopefully they leave it the hell alone.

I don't think racks have anything to do with it.  I think plenty of people (male and female) would kill any deer they had a tag for a few minutes before or after legal shooting time.  It's not like they are jack-lighting deer in the middle of the night.  99% of these people would NEVER think of doing that.  At least I wouldn't.  I just think those who say they unload their guns exactly the second legal shooting time ends are not being 100% truthful.  It has NOTHING to do with male or female.  It's probably against employer rules of many male and female members here to be posting on forums such as this during work hours, yet we still do it.  So tell me what rule or regulation isn't sidestepped by people every single minute of the day?  I can't think of one.  And I sure as heck won't be the one saying that I abide by every single rule someone is throwing at me.  I am only being honest.  If others can't be honest, then what can I say?  I surely won't buy into the idea that they never stray like they are trying to convince me here that they don't.

I disagree. I think males are generally more drawn to the racks than the ladies...lol

I hope the law is changed to reflect the best practices. I can't recall any data showing that NY is more safe because of the current law as compared to states with the 1/2 rule on either side. I also don't have anything in my pocket to prove vice versa....but the fact that many states allow the 1/2hr grace period tells me that this is just an archaic law and we're on the wrong side of it.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I disagree. I think males are generally more drawn to the racks than the ladies...lol

Well yes, I guess it depends what "rack" we are talking about.  But then again, there may be some hairy armpit mountain women out there, that may like them even more than us guys do.  LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

These two threads... using others tags and this...has made me realize the difference, other than gender, between woman and male hunters....our "woman hood" isn't connected to a dead deer, racked or other wise... I see that many male hunters man hoods are firmly attached to them and racks. Why else are they so quick to justify going out side the law and then presuming others must be do it as well? Why not just try to change the laws instead of breaking them, if you think they are so restricting ? I'm pretty sure if it was 10 mins. after close or you had already filled your tag but your dads was open...and a 140" class buck walked by......Your junk wouldn't fall off if you passed on it...well most of ya at least :rolleyes:

I think you're taking your personal style and assuming all woman are the same. I personally know woman hunters just as bad if not worse. Please don't make this about race, gender, sexuality, income level. There are bad apples everywhere in all walks of life. Poaching a deer and a stupid sunset rule are different arguments. While both are illegal, the discussion here is what can we do as a community to perhaps get the state to recognize the 30 min rule like so many other states do? I do not believe any of us feel it's unsafe.

Edited by Belo

.......I think plenty of people (male and female) would kill any deer they had a tag for a few minutes before or after legal shooting time.  It's not like they are jack-lighting deer in the middle of the night.  99% of these people would NEVER think of doing that.  At least I wouldn't.  I just think those who say they unload their guns exactly the second legal shooting time ends are not being 100% truthful.........  

Well, gee, everybody's doing it so it must be ok.......right? I guess I must be the last of a dying breed that still believes that our game laws really mean something. Not only do I quit at the appropriate time, but even before that time I begin to pack up my gear so that when sunset comes I'm out of my stand and heading home. I don't treat these things like they are just suggestions, and I don't understand where all this intentional disrespect for the law is coming from. I do consider it very likely that those who ignore any game laws are capable of ignoring all game laws.

• Like 1

In the states that do go before and after, I'm thinking their safety records are as good or better than Ny's now so I'm not sure how anyone thinks it will somehow magically be different in Ny.

I don't know ..... NY has been posting some pretty good safety numbers recently.

Well, gee, everybody's doing it so it must be ok.......right? I guess I must be the last of a dying breed that still believes that our game laws really mean something. Not only do I quit at the appropriate time, but even before that time I begin to pack up my gear so that when sunset comes I'm out of my stand and heading home. I don't treat these things like they are just suggestions, and I don't understand where all this intentional disrespect for the law is coming from. I do consider it very likely that those who ignore any game laws are capable of ignoring all game laws.

How do you get out of your stand. Pretty sure you have stated you dont hunt from stands and haven't for a long while. Seems a little fishy there boss.

Edited by phade

I don't know ..... NY has been posting some pretty good safety numbers recently.

As does my state... I just think it is honestly the best "hour" of hunting that is being given back... If you want to stop at sunset, fine, but those that want to hunt should be allowed with so many other states showing the same or better safety with the 1/2 hour before to 1/2 after... But again.. Government will drag their feet, leave well enough alone and nothing will probably change.. like my state and the dumb 2 buck tags and no doe permits without drawing in the lottery... 1960's deer management... frustrating..

Well, gee, everybody's doing it so it must be ok.......right? I guess I must be the last of a dying breed that still believes that our game laws really mean something. Not only do I quit at the appropriate time, but even before that time I begin to pack up my gear so that when sunset comes I'm out of my stand and heading home. I don't treat these things like they are just suggestions, and I don't understand where all this intentional disrespect for the law is coming from. I do consider it very likely that those who ignore any game laws are capable of ignoring all game laws.

LOL.  Doc, I'm sure there's will be a spot for you next to Saint Peter and Saint Paul for never breaking the legal shooting time rules in NYS, while the rest of us will no doubt burn in hell.  See you in hell fellas! 

• Like 1

I agree. Your funny also

LOL.  Doc, I'm sure there's will be a spot for you next to Saint Peter and Saint Paul for never breaking the legal shooting time rules in NYS, while the rest of us will no doubt burn in hell.  See you in hell fellas! 

It's got nothing to do with St.Peter or hell. You either respect the law or you don't. Simple as that.

• Like 1

It's got nothing to do with St.Peter or hell. You either respect the law or you don't. Simple as that.

Doc, I don't agree with your statement that we should respect the law more like we must obey the law.

Not all laws are just or fair so there is no respecting those laws, but we must obey.

• Like 1

I hope I never find myself on the same road as you if you are driving down the road constantly staring at your speedometer. As far as inadvertently shooting after hours, you are (or should be) aware when that magical time is getting close. I have never been caught by surprise with quitting time getting by me while on stand ...... ever. The only time that things get out of control in terms quitting time would be if you fell asleep, or just didn't give a damn.

Well if you are so big on the "books" maybe you should read the drivers manual where it clearly states that you check your Mirrors and guages every 5-7 seconds.

This is a endless discusion some on here are realists and others pick and choose what laws to follow and judge others who don't agree on what laws are ok to break and what ones aren't.

Doc, I don't agree with your statement that we should respect the law more like we must obey the law.

Not all laws are just or fair so there is no respecting those laws, but we must obey.

Well, this is heading for a philosophical discussion that is straying a bit from the original topic. So I will simply say that I have a respect for our legal system, warts and all. I also hope that I am not in the minority.

• Like 1

Well, this is heading for a philosophical discussion that is straying a bit from the original topic. So I will simply say that I have a respect for our legal system, warts and all. I also hope that I am not in the minority.

Blind trust given to any Gov't, institution or person is a trust misplaced.

Well if you are so big on the "books" maybe you should read the drivers manual where it clearly states that you check your Mirrors and guages every 5-7 seconds.

This is a endless discusion some on here are realists and others pick and choose what laws to follow and judge others who don't agree on what laws are ok to break and what ones aren't.

Ha-ha .... well that's very nice, but I prefer to keep my eyes on the road and those maniacs that are coming at me....lol. And yes, my speed will vary a few miles per hour occasionally. But you can believe me when I say (and you seemed not to believe) that when I vary from the exact speed limit, it is not intentional, where ignoring legal hunting hours is a conscious decision. And that is what makes the comparison that this thread is all about, bogus.

If legal time is 4:30 and a trophy (whatever that may be to you, could be a doe for meat) walks by at 4:31 while your about to get up. I don't believe anyone would not take the shot. And I mean take the shot in real life. Obviously behind the keyboards nobody would ever say they'd dare touch the trigger.

• Like 2