Dead Horses

hunter49

Saw this on another site.   2 coyote hunters at night, shot 2 horses by mistake.  One horse died.   It happened in West Sparta NY. on Moore rd.   in Livingston co.   Quite a size difference form coyote to horse.    Accident ??     Any info. ?   The DEC. is investigating.

Years ago there was a local incident where 2 horses were shot and killed in a farmers barnyard during deer season..

I always suspected that someone had a grudge against the farmer  and used the opportunity of DEER SEASON to get even with him.. The shooter was never caught.

Nobody is going to mistake a horse for a deer, much less a coyote.

• Like 3

from the news article it seems as they know who it was.  I just can not even fathom an explanation as to how you could mistake a horse for ANY kind of legal game animal...

being a horse owner there is a lot I would like to type out here but i know better....

completely inexcusable and the shooters .should loose their hunting privileges for life!  absolutely NO excuse for this! 

• Like 2

They talked about it on the radio, one of the hunters is a Livingston cnty police They also said it happened at 8 and reported at 10. Said they were trying to cover it up. It was on Kimberly and Beck. It was a hunt contest with a hunt club. Owner if club was going to call them. Not sure how much of this is true but this is what I heard.

from the news article it seems as they know who it was.  I just can not even fathom an explanation as to how you could mistake a horse for ANY kind of legal game animal...

being a horse owner there is a lot I would like to type out here but i know better....

completely inexcusable and the shooters .should loose their hunting privileges for life!  absolutely NO excuse for this! 

Shooting at "eye shine"?

Shooting at "eye shine"?

That's what comes to mind. That is one thing that makes me a bit uneasy about people calling game and relying on their spotlight to define the target. At night, occasionally all that is seen is a pair of eyes reflecting back. In total darkness, and lack of distance perception, anyone shooting in that specific condition has no idea what the hell they are shooting at. And yet from some videos that I have seen, that's not an unusual scenario for night-time predator hunting.

This was just over the hill from me and I haven't heard anything about it yet. I'd have to believe a set of horse eyes are quite different looking than a coyote or fox, Like 10 inches further apart! and the eyes would move a lot different than a small mammal. I just can't imagine this happening unless someone was totally clueless or on drugs. Very disturbing either way.

This was just over the hill from me and I haven't heard anything about it yet. I'd have to believe a set of horse eyes are quite different looking than a coyote or fox, Like 10 inches further apart! and the eyes would move a lot different than a small mammal. I just can't imagine this happening unless someone was totally clueless or on drugs. Very disturbing either way.

That's why I mentioned the complete loss of distance perception. Distance between eye reflections has nothing to relate to if these horses were some distance off. And my reply was clearly not intended to be a justification. But from what I have seen in some of these predator hunting videos, these guys are shooting at eye reflections with absolutely no idea of what those eyes are attached to.

The old saying goes 'you cant fix stupid'. And this is more fuel for the antis. In the end the rest of us get penalised while other idiots cheer more feel good regulations shoveled out.

When i first saw this thread i thought it would be about hillary.

• 2 weeks later...

Were the horses loose and wandering around? (Pretty unlikely at night - even it the gate was left open, horses would be more likely to stay near their shelter on a cold night.)

If the horses were in their pasture/enclosure.... why the heck were these guys doing shooting at _anything_ in that area? It has nothing to do with night visibility. They would have been shooting at something on someone else's land where they did not have permission, and should have known the owner had livestock.

Edited by jrm

I can't presume I know what happened I was not there. I'm not standing up for anyone who excesses poor judgement and is responsible for an incident like this one. But on behalf of actual predator hunters. Shooting at eye shine does not happen but for one potential circumstance. That is a fleeing predator that was already posativley identified and conformation it's stilll the same critter. Rare yes but it's the only time it happens.

Now for folks that operate outside those rules.... Well I have my theories on that..... More than likely you know someone that would shoot eyes. Responsibility for these things are on us too. Teaching good hunting practice is the responsibility of a good hunter.

Edited by itzdirty

well, the article says the guys had permission to hunt there, so that answers that question......but if that's the case they should have known that horses are on the property, a horse is a pretty tall animal, so hard to make a mistake if they were standing, maybe they were bedded? and someone mentioned a backhoe brought in to cover it up, how do you bring a backhoe onto some one else's property and even think you can hide two horses that you killed...ya think the owner would notice? dumb, dumb, dumb.........

So, what happened to these guys? Anyone hear? Anyone arrested? .... If so were they charged? .... And if they were, what were they charged with? what was their plea? ..... What was the evidence? ..... Are they scheduled for court?  We really don't know a whole hell of a lot about the incident or the case do we? For all we know, it may have been a case of intentional malicious destruction of personal property. Lol .... See I can guess and theorize right along with the best of them .... :mda: