Feeling thankful

josephmrtn

Was involved in an accident on Tues morn around 1 am along I-81 I was riding in a car load of ppl coming back from a wedding in Ohio, we all were sleeping and right as we came up to exit 44 (right below watertown) with his cruise set at 70 the driver drifted off to sleep as well... we all woke up as we hit the median and went flying several hundred feet down the bank toward the southbound lane stopping about 15 feet from it, fortunately nobody was hurt and the car wasn't damaged thanks too the depth of the snow we just called the drivers dad who came and pulled us out an we made it the rest of the way home without further incident... So just a fresh reminder for yall if your getting sleepy either pull over an sleep a while or get someone else to drive! We made it out of there without a scratch but could have easily rolled or hit something and some or all of us been killed, Needless to say we thanked God for his protection afterwards!

• Like 7

Damn Joe you dodged a bullet on that one.  Glad all ended up OK, lesson learned I'm sure.

In 1990 I was a passenger in a friends Ford Ranger.  We were headed north on the Rt 400 expressway here in Erie County when my buddy fell asleep at the wheel.  We had hunted spring gobblers that morning and our day started very early as we left his place at 3:00am and had hoofed it all morning.  Although he killed his one and only gobbler that morning via my calling, it could have almost been our last day doing ANYTHING!

We didn't roll it but went off to the left the left shoulder, across the culvert and JUST missed a concrete collector.  My buddy then collected it AFTER he woke up and got it headed back onto the hardtop road and we slowly got back up to speed.  I had been asleep for 15 minutes or so before the "event" and also woke up when we started doing the "off road thing". :)

To this day, 25 years later, it is still almost impossible for me to fall asleep in a vehicle while a passenger.  It is a horrible thing NOT being able to sleep when you need to after driving your share on a trip.

I rarely get sleepy anymore as a driver and if I do, no sweat, I pull over...............

Glad you guys made it out in good shape Joe.  Stay safe.........

• Like 2

Thank your lucky stars Joe. It could have been a lot worse from your description of the accident. In my line of work I've seen thousands of car accident cases where the cars have been destroyed to the point where the make of the vehicle was unidentifiable and the passengers came out with out so much as a scratch. God was certainly watching over you and your crew.

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 1