Buying ammo in Vermont

Just wondering. 

My wife and I visit Vermont a few times each year. I'm finding very few places in my area,that sell a variety of 7mm-08 ammo. So I'm thinking about checking some of the shops in Vermont. Will they sell ammo to a NYS resident? Not sure of what the laws are for buying ammo in states bordering New York,since the safe act was shoved down our throats.

There are some states that will check for id if buying 22 ammo. 

They may also ask if you have a pistol permit for 22 ammo. 

Happens to my dad when purchasing 22 ammo in shops like Gander Mountain.

I don't get that.  Why would they check ID for .22 ammo over any other ammo?  And why would they ask for a pistol permit?  Would they not sell you .22 ammo without a pistol permit??  I don't think you could be denied .22 ammo, if you are of age to buy ammo, and meet any other requirement that the state may want.  I simply couldn't imagine any state requiring a pistol permit to buy it, when I'm sure the vast majority of .22 ammo is fired thru rifles.

All I know is my dad got asked when he purchased 22 ammo this fall for his 22 bolt-action he uses for groundhogs at his friend's farm.  I wasn't there.  He mentioned it to me on one of our phone conversations.

They may have stricter laws regarding ammo that may be used for pistols where he lives these days.  We hunted with shotguns growing up and dad had his 22 since before I was born.  Don't recall him purchasing ammo for it while I was growing up and last time I saw him hunt with it I was in elementary school and he took with him to hunt in PA when i was in 5th or sixth grade. I have not lived in that state for over twenty years and some laws have changed.

There are some states that will check for id if buying 22 ammo. 

They may also ask if you have a pistol permit for 22 ammo. 

Happens to my dad when purchasing 22 ammo in shops like Gander Mountain.

I get carded every time I buy shotgun shells at dicks as well.  Covering their bacon I suppose.

I didn't just get asked at the Dicks on Westchester when buying 22LR, they flat out refuse to sell it to me unless I show them a pistol permit even if I tell them it's for a long gun. Which is why I don't buy from them. Never got asked anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully I'll find a couple places in Vermont to take my business to. There is a small, local, mom and pop gun shop that I have supported for many years, and will continueto do so when I can. But I will NEVER again use any of the big box stores in NYS for firearms or ammo.

I'm tired of being treated like a criminal,in NYS with background checks, extra fees and taxes just to purchase a box of ammo. While real criminals get what they want anytime they want it with no questions asked.

• Like 1

I living next to CT I cannot purchase any ammo/I must be a resident or show them proof that I hunt there or live there.I was to Cabbelas and Waltmart and had no luck buying ammo

Not really true, I'm buying there all the time probably more than in NY, just need to show my CT pistol license, they don't record anything and even if I buy 5.56 still need to show the license. Stupid law but hey we live in the "CryStateArea" :-)

Edited by bkln

Q. What will I need to purchase ammunition?

A. After October 1, 2013, you will need a pistol permit, eligibility certificate, long gun eligibility certificate or an ammunition certificate along with a valid form of identification in order to purchase ammunition in Connecticut.

To obtain an ammunition certificate, any person 18 or older may request that the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection perform a national criminal history records check to determine if such person is eligible to possess a firearm in Connecticut. After a successful records check, the Department will issue an ammunition certificate that is good for 5 years.

I'm pretty sure it's the law....plenty of info available from a quick internet search,