Old man winters death grip...

wooly

Out for a short hike yesterday when I found this little yearling surrendering to the harshness of winter.
I'm sure this little deer was frightened out of it's mind by me, but near the end she just seemed to accept the fact that she was going to die and didn't fight it off any longer.
Things got a little hairy when I crawled under the tree with her. The shot of her standing up in my face was the last shot I took before she put the hooves to me and decided to run through me instead of around me,lol

DSC_0015_zpsfczkpy4i.jpg

DSC_0064_zpsvostkxte.jpg

DSC_0025_zps7wpvpv3c.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsshbh8f8o.jpg

DSC_0168_zpsqx4kvbdn.jpg

DSC_0159_01_zpsdwy41qcn.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsofyqu5a8.jpg

DSC_0066_01_zpstviltxco.jpg

DSC_0094_zps1vnemqgc.jpg

DSC_0124_01_zpsud5oy1w1.jpg

• Like 5

I got one out of a neighbor's yard last week that had just curled up and died. It got used as eagle bait. I saw another in the condition of Wooly's on Saturday.

I was out before dawn this morning. There is a crust the coyotes are walking on without breaking through - at least at night while it is below freezing. The coyotes will be feasting now - on the dead and dying. This is just a fact. Stating it may incite some people but I like coyotes and don't advocate killing them to help deer.

So I was just reading the latest Outdoor news. Sullivan County in NY allows the feeding of wild-life. Anyone know why this is the case, but not for any other county?

Also, some old-timey hunters wrote in with anecdotal tales of deer numbers being way way down on previous decades. May 1/4 of what they used to be. Anyone got stats for this?