Attitudes

And yet my point is, my insurance goes up every time one of them does. So the actions of others do affect you. Every kid who shoots up a school affects you.

no kidding........so what's the solution, ban everything that may make my insurance premiums go up?

Insurances rising has to do with the (stupid) actions of people not the invention of stuff. Like most things.. it only takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing... the ATV is no exception. I'm not a big fan of ATVs for getting in an out of your hunting spot.. but they are great for getting out a deer!

• Like 3

Insurances rising has to do with the (stupid) actions of people not the invention of stuff. Like most things.. it only takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing... the ATV is no exception. I'm not a big fan of ATVs for getting in an out of your hunting spot.. but they are great for getting out a deer!

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's the idiots that cause the rise in rates...............but, the two kind of go hand in hand. 

no kidding........so what's the solution, ban everything that may make my insurance premiums go up?

don't be silly. The solution is not to take the attitude of "who care what jimmy and joey do". Peer pressure is a hell of a drug. Not condoning sloppy riding, hunting, gun safety etc. helps to make those mindsets unpopular.

Statistics have shown kids are smoking less. Not because it's illegal, but because it's no longer as cool as it use to be.

That's my point.

don't be silly. The solution is not to take the attitude of "who care what jimmy and joey do". Peer pressure is a hell of a drug. Not condoning sloppy riding, hunting, gun safety etc. helps to make those mindsets unpopular.

Statistics have shown kids are smoking less. Not because it's illegal, but because it's no longer as cool as it use to be.

That's my point.

I don't condone any of that and none of the people I associate with are slobs, but do you honestly think the guy who races down the street with his kid on an ATV with him, not wearing helmets really gives a crap what others think? or the guy who drives all over State Land cares what others think? should I go knock on their door and have a serious talk with them and explain that what they're doing is wrong and they better clean up their act?

I'm willing to bet, that responsible, non-helmet wearing motorcycle riders die in accidents at a much lower rate then the dopes who wear helmets, yet drive recklessly..........

I completely agree with this and anyone who rides a bike would too I'd think.  I currently don't own one but have plenty of experience.  Many times it's the other person.  However, I've seen some dips**t things done on a bike.  a while back on a busy buffalo street I saw a guy WITH a helmet on a 600 GXR.  as I pulled away from the light I watched his bike in a horizontal flat spin go skidding past my car on it's side.  idiot was trying to pop and ride a wheelie and happily twisted more than enough.  stopped, got out and asked if he was ok.  he's was quickly hobbling along trying to retrieve his bike.  also know a guy that was racing to catch up to someone.  luckily wearing full leather, boots, gloves, and helmet, because he hit a deer crossing the highway and he was doing 140+mph.  cut the deer in half, with each half in the ditch on either side, ripped the front fork tubes and wheel right out of the triple clamps, and basically totaled the rest of the bike.  that was his second chance, as he lived when any other time he wouldn't have.

I'm willing to bet, that responsible, non-helmet wearing motorcycle riders die in accidents at a much lower rate then the dopes who wear helmets, yet drive recklessly..........

The single greatest risk factor with cars is the quality of the driver. I bet the same is true of motorcycles and ATVs.

I am not sure if the insurance companies figure there rates the way it was , AS , If you work down or out of state all of  the week as NYC or Paterson, NJ, and you have your car, truck ,bike or whatever means of transportation with you down there but ( it is reristered at your home which is up state ) and you get into an accident down there. Your and everyone else where your means of transportation is registered gets hit with a price increase.

It could have changed but this is how it was.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the experience of walking in to many of my spots. I also like the experience of hunting with my 80 year old father, of which he cannot walk, but sit on a bucket and wait for deer or someone to talk to . I haul him into the woods on a side by side. I don't apologize for it, I don't believe I'm any less an outdoorsman than if I walk. I also don't believe his experience is any less wonderful since he rode in. He's out enjoying being part of something, and isn't this what it is all about?

• Like 7

I like the experience of walking in to many of my spots. I also like the experience of hunting with my 80 year old father, of which he cannot walk, but sit on a bucket and wait for deer or someone to talk to . I haul him into the woods on a side by side. I don't apologize for it, I don't believe I'm any less an outdoorsman than if I walk. I also don't believe his experience is any less wonderful since he rode in. He's out enjoying being part of something, and isn't this what it is all about?

maybe i missed it, but I don't think anyone is criticizing the old or disabled for using them. Personally I don't really care too much if the able bodied guy drives his right up to his ladder stand 30 minutes after legal light. If that's how you hunt, then have at it. It's just not for me. But believe it, if I broke my leg or became ill I'd have a quad.

When it comes to the term "outdoorsman". I think that's where you start to lose some. There is a "hunter", this can be anybody in the woods with a weapon. And there is an "outdoorsman". The later in my opinion is still a hunter, but one who is a little more intune with the experience and nature part of hunting and not just the harvest. It's all subjective and there is no right answer. But I will put my opinion out there, because that's what I do. The "pumpkin" who leaves his beer cans behind, who baits, who breaks the rules, who just cuts off the horns... is not an outdoorsman. They're still a hunter sure. But not an outdoorsman. I don't believe you have to be a Native american hunting in a loin cloth and spear to be an outdoorsman, but a good ethical hunter who enjoys and values his time in the woods is what i label "an outdoorsman".

Do you think that the same  person who is an ethical hunter who enjoys and values his time in the woods and who also legally and safely uses an ATV is still an "outdoorsman"?

to a point yes. if you go straight from couch to quad to sitting in a chair I'd wonder and question if you're just a hunter who enjoys hunting, or if you truly enjoy spending time with nature... hiking, exploring etc. again assuming you're able bodied. Driving up to a field and hiking in, or dragging a deer out with a quad do not disqualify you in my book. And of course, who freaking cares about my book right? Just chewing the fat and discussing.

Every year that goes by, I lose a bit more durability. Having already had a stroke, I do wonder about what kind of stress I should be putting my body through. And then there is the fact that we now call the hill a killer because we lost our neighbor, who was younger than me by quite a bit, to a heart attack 1/2 way up the hill. The fact is that I actually walk more ground because of the ATV. Rather than using all my energy just getting up the hill, I generally park just under the top ridge to keep the sound over the edge, and walk up about 50 yards to the crest and walk wherever I want to from there. It means that I can hunt quite a bit deeper in than I would be able to if I didn't have the ATV.

Now, all that sounds like I am trying to justify my using the ATV as a hunting assist. I am not. I used the quad since the early 80's for transport and for dragging deer out because it made sense to extend my distance, and to use the assist for deer dragging. There is no virtue to hunting harder, and no vice to hunting smarter.

• Like 1

I would like to see our Club buy an ATV for use during deer season and for chores here and there, but most members are leery of ATV ownership, due to possible misuse of the unit. I should just buy the place and kick everyone else out, then do what I want....maybe start a winery...

I use my ATV to move stands before season starts and to get the deer out after I make the kill . I don't drive to my stands as I figure I would spook any deer in the area . I park my car & trailer and make the 1/2 or 3/4 mile walk . I have seen where some trespasser has dug up the horse trail on my SIL's property . Hopefully I will get him on camera .

I don't drive to my stands as I figure I would spook any deer in the area. I park my car & trailer and make the 1/2 or 3/4 mile walk .

That last bit of distance to the stand is the most important as far as being quiet is concerned. If you walk in on the deer in the dark making all kinds of noise (ATV motor), they may not go charging out of the area, but it is pretty certain that they won't be wandering around in the area that just got disturbed. So, I agree, it is a real bad idea to drive to your stand. I think when the time comes that I am so beaten down that I have to ride to my stand, perhaps I should re-evaluate whether it is even safe to be out in the woods by myself in the first place.

any thing said about them offends people who have them i will say this i have no problem with them being used to drag out a deer i have a big problem with them in the wood for any other reason they destroy the habitat and i hate hearing them riding in the woods while i am on stand and it getting light just my opinion

any thing said about them offends people who have them i will say this i have no problem with them being used to drag out a deer i have a big problem with them in the wood for any other reason they destroy the habitat and i hate hearing them riding in the woods while i am on stand and it getting light just my opinion

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they enjoy the soothing roar of motorized vehicles echoing off the hills of an otherwise serene wooded valley .... lol. Heck, I don't enjoy the sound of chainsaws and skidders and somebody riding a motorcycle down the road. The drone of a tractor off in the distance or a plane flying overhead can be pretty annoying when you are straining to hear if there is a follow-up noise to that twig that you thought you heard snap. But, people do have the right to use all these things. Weed-eaters, leaf blowers and lawn mowers and other similar noisemakers are simply things that we have to accept. And the sound of ATV's have to get added to that list. Usually, when I hear an ATV somewhere off in the woods, I have no idea whether they are engaged in some arbitrary list of acceptable uses that I have developed. And in reality, it doesn't matter. If they believe that they have a want or need to drive that ATV on their property, it probably is no more my business than if they decide that it is time to mow the lawn or run their roto-tiller or whatever kind of noise-maker that they happen to be wanting to use.

There has only been one place that I was ever at that was completely free of man-made sounds, and you wouldn't believe the crazy effort of canoeing miles and making long ugly portages required to get in there ..... lol. And then some big-mouthed loon was making an ugly ruckus that messed up all that peace and quiet .... ha-ha-ha. Let's face it, audio stimuli is just a part of life. You can complain about it, but you can't escape it. Not in this day and age.

• Like 1

Sometimes we all just need to learn to adapt...Now I HATE yep HATE when at 4pm the kid down the road 1/2 to 1 mile away revs up the machine and screams up and down the road till sundown.....I think my mind may explode every morning when that stinking school bus has it's backup alarm go off ,shattering my quiet sit. Oh and I could just wring the neck of the dog and skin the owner, that lets it out at 5am to bark non stop until 8am every single day of bow season.

That said, I welcome the sound of someone driving their short distance, to their stand on their machine. Because there I have sat quietly for 45mins or so already...I'm part of the woods and if they move the deer while on their little ride in...they just may be moving them toward me. When they leave before I do they just may move deer to me....

I look at it as yes.... I can complain about the kid...I had kids and that wasn't allowed...they had a track to go to and raced competitively...I have 3 dogs and by God knows, if they barked like that there would be Hell to pay. Actually there was when the deer decided to bed down next to the kennel...I bought bark suppressor. 1 week later they learned not to do that. The bus...... just life.

Machines.... Well I can imagine that my running the tractor and the tiller for my plantings ,landscaping, hole digging ,trenching , my leaf blowing trails or just mowing the amount I mow, bugs the ppl around me...So who am I to complain about their motors running.

I suppose if I managed to find a place where no people lived and somehow not in a fly zone of any kind, I could become very annoyed. The sounds of a pileated wood pecker,yipping howling coyote,crows well that is needless to say... So putting things in perspective is a better choice for me...Well for as much as my mind will allow for at least.

• Like 1

Every year that goes by, I lose a bit more durability. Having already had a stroke, I do wonder about what kind of stress I should be putting my body through. And then there is the fact that we now call the hill a killer because we lost our neighbor, who was younger than me by quite a bit, to a heart attack 1/2 way up the hill. The fact is that I actually walk more ground because of the ATV. Rather than using all my energy just getting up the hill, I generally park just under the top ridge to keep the sound over the edge, and walk up about 50 yards to the crest and walk wherever I want to from there. It means that I can hunt quite a bit deeper in than I would be able to if I didn't have the ATV.

Now, all that sounds like I am trying to justify my using the ATV as a hunting assist. I am not. I used the quad since the early 80's for transport and for dragging deer out because it made sense to extend my distance, and to use the assist for deer dragging. There is no virtue to hunting harder, and no vice to hunting smarter.

everything you just said doesn't make you any less of an outdoorsman in my opinion. A good hike is healthy for most folks. Climbing a steep ridge with pre-existing medical conditions is exactly the reason people should be using ATVs.

Edited by Belo