New rule: Taking photos of fish caught out of season could cost you $250

HectorBuckBuster

Typical case of needing to regulate common sense actions. Other than stating you can't intentionally rig and bait to catch an out of season fish (sadly I have seen people do exactly the opposite) it simply states you need to get the fish back into the water ASAP to protect it's health. On a personal note I have seen with my own eyes, multiple times, a father rip a hook out of a fish, bit of internal organs attached, instead of cutting the line on a deeply hooked fish and throw the fish back in all the while saying to their kid "it'll be fine"

You people at CAPTREE know who you are!

It's tuff to enforce but I suspect that it's suppose to deter.

What if your a typical fisherman who post stuff you really did not catch!  LOL  Some story tellers have to fake some things to stay relevant. 

What about this fish you caught in Black lake?  "I was working that day.  I just posted the pic and a story for fun.  lol and you though a fisherman would not lie or photo shop a fish for fun?"

Just a thought...

Good luck proving the fish was caught on the day posted. Or even posted by the person in the picture .... I could post any number of pictures today of guys with fish caught years ago with any caption I chose , on my page or theirs .

Look at the Northern I caught last month !

post-253-0-37901100-1431653016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 3

This won't even affect my fishing on the reservoirs. Trout are open year-round and bass you are allowed to fish for year-round but only keep certain times. Therefore I can take a picture with any fish year-round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care for the practice of "catch and release" any time, in or out of season. To me, that is just the senseless maiming of a fine food source. People who feel inclined to do that should stick to Wi fishing games and such. Catch, photograph, and release is even worse, because it prolongs the fishes suffering and reduces its chance of survival. If a non-target, out of season, specie is caught "accidentally", it should never even be taken out of the water, and should be released ASAP. Playing games with live things just isn't cool to me. Killing them, legally and in season, and eating them, is what I am made for. I think the state does a pretty good job of managing the resource, and I support them going after folks who intentionally go for fish out of season, using any means possible. At least this law should make folks think twice before posting pictures of out of season catches, which is certainly not a very bright idea.

Its seems stupid and Im mixed about it.  I have seen so many times someone holding a fish for so damn long taking pictures the fish is belly up when they let it go.  So many times I have wanted to just slap the idiots.  I just say arrest anyone with ZERO common sense to begin with lol.

Edited by wdswtr

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html

First bullet

•A person may not fish for a species (even if immediately released) during the closed season for that species on a given water. Fish caught during the closed season must be unhooked and released immediately. They may not be handled for any other purpose, including taking a photo.

maybe it's because 90% of the pictures are of the fish thrown in the dirt, on top of hot rocks, or with someone's hands shoved up into their gills........another possible example of laws being implemented because some are a little careless.

Classic example of its ok for us to do this, but not you.  Almost like assault rifles.  OK for us to shoot you with one but you can not own one. 

maybe it's because 90% of the pictures are of the fish thrown in the dirt, on top of hot rocks, or with someone's hands shoved up into their gills........another possible example of laws being implemented because some are a little careless.

We have to get you new friends...lol. The ones I see posted aren't like that.