Lost my hunting properties.

blackradio

Well, for the past 2 seasons, I had permission to hunt the 250 acre property across the street from my house. The property is vacant and has been through many hands the past 30 years. I've been going on that property since I was a little kid. 

Took one nice buck off the property in 2013, and have been trying to take a turkey the past few weekends. Besides hunting, I am always doing something over there; photography, just hiking, shed hunting, trail came, mushroom hunting etc.

Noticed some trucks opening the gate and going in the past few weekends and could not get in touch with guy I have permission from. Last week when turkey hunting, when I decided to pack it up and call it a day I noticed a trail cam in the field. 

Finally talked to the guy I have permission from and the property is sold. And now that I saw the trail cam, I doubt there's a spot for me to hunt. 

I have no way to contact new owners, hopefully I will catch them heading out and can talk with them.

Got to get in there and pull out all my stands tomorrow. Hope they are still there.

Also, had a little 30 acre spot also next to my house owned by family friends. Well he moved out on Tuesday after owning the place for 21 years so no more hunting there.

I've sent out 24 letters asking permission and 16 have said no so far and one said maybe next year.

This is frustrating! Needed to vent.

I like in person permission rather than letters if you can pull it off. Go to the county clerk's office. they will have the new owner's infoAlmost

Almost all the properties I am inquiring about are vacant land owned by builders/development companies and usually live in NYC or elsewhere unfortunately.

Knock on doors instead of writing a letter.The "in person" contact is always better.I have a 25% success rate from what I have asked permision on.Once you get permission ask about any help you can do.I have fixed farm equiptment,cut dead trees and branches from field edges,posted property for the landowners and I am getting ready to make a cab for a guys skidsteer I just got permission to be on.Its frustrating but so so worth it when you hit a good property

• Like 2

Things are generally a little more personal and 'homey' around me, but if I want hunting permission I show up at the right time, (not lunch or dinner) ready, willing, and able to help with whatever work the landowner happens to be doing at the time. And I bring my own tools.

Probably won't work with an absentee owner, but the local farmers like me.

Unfortunately this is one of the realities of hunting other people's property. Land use is quite an ever-changing thing, and today's honey-hole can turn into tomorrow's housing development. I would hate to say how many prime hunting spots have been replaced by a house, yard and out-buildings and a jillion little screaming kids running all over the place, over the decades. I have had dirt-bikes, and campers take over my favorite stand areas, simply raising the constant level of human activity to an unhuntable state. I see all this "people pollution" as being one of the biggest challenges to hunting today.

Blackradio I know as a landowner I would be very happy to have someone keep an eye on my property when I wasn't there. In return you get to hunt the property when they aren't there. That would work for me and you live right across the street what better deal for them. I would try but you have to state it would only be you hunting and respect their wishes on what and what size game (deer) can be taken. I would do it in a heart beat.

Blackradio I know as a landowner I would be very happy to have someone keep an eye on my property when I wasn't there. In return you get to hunt the property when they aren't there. That would work for me and you live right across the street what better deal for them. I would try but you have to state it would only be you hunting and respect their wishes on what and what size game (deer) can be taken. I would do it in a heart beat.

Thanks for the insight. I am going to leave a note in a ziplock back on their gate today.

It really does hurt to lose a hunting spot you have had access to since you were a kid. We had 350 acres next to the farm I was raised on,that we had exclusive hunting permission for years and years. After the landowner died,his kids didn't want it and sold it to the state to expand a state park. It is now open to public hunting. And that brought a slew of problems for the 400+ acres we still have. We now let the hunters push the deer from the public land to us and have been successful using them to our advantage. Nothing stays the same and you change and adapt with the changes you have no control of.

That being said,being that you have lived there for many years,there is a lot you can offer the new land owners. As said above,you are there to keep a close watch on their land when they are away. You can offer help with land improvement like food plots,brush clearing,best stand placement and just being the best neighbor you can be. I wish you the best of luck with the new owners,hope it all works out for you. Sometimes change works out ok.

• Like 2

i have said it for years, a hunter is the only person dumb enough to watch every move on a property for the owner.  Being that hunters set cams, post and constantly check for movement and trespassers, they are pretty much a security system.  most home owners love it and if you seem trustworthy they are willing to let you hunt that is why meeting in person is better. 

Edited by Carbonelement
  • Like 1

These days you are taking a big gamble relying on other peoples property to hunt... a lease is usually best if you aren't in a position to buy a piece yourself. But, the truth is that if you don't own your own and aren't willing to hunting public land... you might be out of luck some opening day when you find out the land was sold the day before and the new landowner won't give you permission to hunt...  there goes your season. Just something to think about. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Forgot to update this. The landowner called me during the summer after I left a note on his gate. He was nice and said he understands my struggle and appreciates the note but he is a hunter and wants to get his son into hunting so unfortunately, I cannot hunt there anymore. He told me I can take my time and get my stands out of there which I did. I told him I would send him trail cam pics if he wanted them so I send him the best ones I got off the property and he was happy. I just told him that he has a beautiful chunk of land and I wish him well and that's it I guess. Still haven't found another property so I have to keep looking.