Gay Marriage Protected by the 14th Amendment?

President Obama, who opposed same-sex marriage until three years ago, hailed the Supreme Court’s ruling to legalize gay marriage Friday as “a victory for America.”

“When all Americans are treated as equal, we are all more free,” Mr. Obama said in the White House Rose Garden. “This ruling will strengthen all our communities. America should be very proud.”

He called the decision “a victory for gay and lesbian couples who have fought so long for their basic civil rights.”

Mr. Obama said during his 2008 presidential campaign that he did not support marriage for same-sex couples. Presidential adviser David Axelrod wrote in a book this year that Mr. Obama took that position only because it was politically expedient at the time.

The president publicly opposed same-sex marriage until 2012.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/26/obama-hails-supreme-court-gay-marriage-ruling-vict/

Just shows the ongoing contempt for democracy. Lie to the majority than push through laws that benefit the minority.

• Like 1

I don't see it as a threat to democracy, but I do see it as a threat to any morals that still might be left in this society.  They can have gay sex until the cows come home for all I care, but why do I need to hear and read about it 24/7??  This decision will just give them more fuel.  Meanwhile I will be condemned if I say that I believe in old fashioned family values.   

been watching tv all day.  espn., food network, msg, usa, outdoor channel, disney, nickolodeon, mtv2.   haven't seen one thing about it on any of the channels.   what are you watching?  went out for lunch, to stop and shop, diner, walmart, gas stations.  didn't see one thing that related to being gay.  nobody talked about.   my family values are the same, and so are yours I'm sure.   

I think it is a great day for America. Sad it took this long for it to happen. LOL at the people who get so riled up over two consenting adults getting married. Like marriage is such a sacred institution these days anyway. Love that argument.

I'm pretty sure the gays haven't created or contributed to the decline in family values or morals in this Country.............take a trip to the Department of Social Services and I would be surprised if you see gay couples and their children standing in line, the jails aren't overcrowded with gay people, the majority that I know are as much or more devoted to their families and adopted children then a good portion of the "traditional" couples.............some need to go back and reread the original post and find the real problem.

• Like 1

I think it is a great day for America. Sad it took this long for it to happen. LOL at the people who get so riled up over two consenting adults getting married. Like marriage is such a sacred institution these days anyway. Love that argument.

Apart from the fact that you have spectacularly missed the larger issue here, arguing that 2 men can be 'married' simply underscores your lack of understanding of what marriage is, anthropologically speaking. No society (or religion) in the history of the world has ever excepted that marriage is anything other than the union of male and female, for the express purpose of creating a socially protected place for the raising of children as the best environment for the perpetuation of society. Family has always been understood as the foundational building block of society. Attack that concept and you attack your future.

Just because people have lost sight of the value and purpose of marriage does not mean we get to redefine it out of existence and make it meaningless. This is simply making things worse, not better. And who in their right mind can argue that divorce has been good for society? Are you kidding us

It is also interesting that a few people have had to abuse the legal system, and not allow a democratic referendum, in order to make this happen.It tells you something about the inherent value that most people still do have for marriage as an objectively useful  ideal, even if they themselves could not live up to said ideals.

So when you say this is a 'great' day for America, what you really mean is that fascism is great for America.

Edited by Papist

In the past marriage was also acceptable between a man and many women, a woman and many men, a man and his sister (in royal families she was the only acceptable mate for him), a man and his hostage and unacceptable between mixed races or religions (without conversion) or if the bride was not a virgin. All these have changed to a degree so anthropologically speaking marriage is a slowly evolving thing. (Where is your anthropology when discussing Darwinism?)

Many believe Gay marriage will destroy the fabric of society, no Gay person has ever destroyed fabric. America was a beacon for all those oppressed in other parts of the world. It's first colonists came seeking religious freedom but very quickly on their heels came those seeking cultural freedom by escaping the labels placed on them in the "old" world, bastard, debtor, whore. Labels like those often meant a life of poverty. What does it say of America when the "old" world has surpassed us in tolerance and freedoms?

It doesn't matter if some judge decides it's protected by the Constitution or not. God says marriage is a union between 1 MAN & 1 WOMAN. Despite how hard the government is trying to run Christianity out of our country, not even SCOTUS supercedes God's word / law.

That's so true....God created Adam and Eve....not Adam and Adam

• Like 2

Not only does it buy votes, but it makes more business for the attorneys. If they are married and decide to split up, they need an attorny.

I can't wait for the first divorce where one uses the God / Bible defense to say it was never a real marriage to begin with............and I'm sure it will happen.

I still don't see what the problem is. I personally don't like how they went about passing it, but I do think we are very late on allowing it. Weather you like it or not gay people will be gay and they will be in gay relationships together. Who cares if there is a piece of paper saying that they are "married." My father works with an old man who has been with his gay partner for 50 years. Pointless to argue about it because it was going to happen no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think everyone is getting caught up in "Who cares if gays get married?" I for one couldn't care less…. Go for it….The bigger picture is  unelected lawyers just making up liberties that are not in the constitution.  Where does that stop??  

Again ….Bob wants to marry Jim…Sue wants to marry Gale???? Who gives a crap?? 

• Like 2

Some people in here really are ass holes ( I can be one myself, but I am NOT a looser hater!!!!!! ) I have never seen more hate on any other hunting site. "I hate hipsters!", "I hate gay people!", "All gay people are criminals!". Etc, etc.........

If you feel this strongly about this, then you must really hate the fact that what you consider a minority hunt and own firearms. It must really piss you off that the Native Americans on their land can own things like full auto legally. That must really put twist in your bikini bottom!

America is soft because of hate on our own soil. Keep hating gay people, keep hating black people, keep hating women, keep hating everything. People talk about fascism? This is a PRIME EXAMPLE!

EDIT!

If you are so damn unhappy living in the USA or NY, leave! You won't be missed!

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

You can get angry with many things today. The albany credit cards (EBTs ) that they hand out to the ones who drive better cars than i do. At the end of the day, i tell my kids the same story.  I may not have a lot but i got mine honest. Thats something no law or person could ever take away. Am i happy with gay people able to get hitched...? Hell yeah..Why should straight people be the only ones who suffer with a life term lmao...honestly it is what it is. I'm more worried with Clinton getting into office.  Then its over

• Like 2

Some people in here really are ass holes ( I can be one myself, but I am NOT a looser hater!!!!!! ) I have never seen more hate on any other hunting site. "I hate hipsters!", "I hate gay people!", "All gay people are criminals!". Etc, etc.........

If you feel this strongly about this, then you must really hate the fact that what you consider a minority hunt and own firearms. It must really piss you off that the Native Americans on their land can own things like full auto legally. That must really put twist in your bikini bottom!

America is soft because of hate on our own soil. Keep hating gay people, keep hating black people, keep hating women, keep hating everything. People talk about fascism? This is a PRIME EXAMPLE!

EDIT!

If you are so damn unhappy living in the USA or NY, leave! You won't be missed!

Give us an example of your "HATERS"……..Who has said "I hate hipsters".."I hate gay people"….."All gay people are criminals"……..  You are making stupid assumptions about people who dare to have a differing opinion from yours. Your post is a picture perfect example of the intolerant left and their  mindless, knee jerk response to anyone who does not "conform" to their thinking…..This is the part where you call me  a racist, homophobe , bigot, anti woman, anti man, anti bunny, anti immigrant, anti…fill in the blank,,,,, because you are an angry little intolerant, brainwashed Racist tool. 

• Like 4

It doesn't matter if some judge decides it's protected by the Constitution or not. God says marriage is a union between 1 MAN & 1 WOMAN. Despite how hard the government is trying to run Christianity out of our country, not even SCOTUS supercedes God's word / law.

founding-fathers-quotes-on-religion-85_z

• Like 2

founding-fathers-quotes-on-religion-85_z

Right…Skillet is saying the Government should have nothing to do with it…So you and Skillet agree

This is also yet another example of government interfering in things way beyond it's mandate or expertise. It is laughable to believe that any government can decide the culture and social mores of a people based on nothing more than legal diktat and the opinions of a tiny minority.

This is Big Government on a 'roid' rage.

• Like 1