Work Shoes & Bad Feet=Red Wings?

Lawdwaz

I'm in trouble, I can't come up with a shoe for my daily wear while working.  I think I'd like a similar boot to the Red Wings shown here:

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/88875-red-wing-shoes/88875-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

I have been to Lockport Outdoor Store and Cabela's so far.  I have a pair of boots that were comfortable in the store from LOS but not so much at home.  I ordered a pair of boots from Cabela's and sent them back.  Tonight I tried on over a dozen pair at Cabela's locally with zero luck.   I tried hikers, walkers etc and nothing felt like what I'm looking for.

I wear prescription orthotics in all my shoes (I have two pair of orthotics) and have been wearing happily New Balance 978 shoes for probably 6-7 years now.  Maybe 5 pairs in that time and they have now changed the damn style and size  of the new model.  They suck badly now..........

I was thinking of a similar boot from Chippewa, Carolina or ?????

Do you guys or gals have anymore suggestions, especially in the WNY area????

My feet are killing me, I need new shoes. 

Depending what I hear from the peanut gallery here I'll check out Red Wings tomorrow. 

Have you tried Wolverine boots yet? They are very comfortable at work for me. Also check out skechers work boot with the memory foam, they are comfy too. Good luck with your search, bad feet really are a pain!

Edited by grampy

I'm pretty lucky that I can wear just about anything.

On my second pair of these;

http://www.georgiaboot.com/farm_boots/#sz=43

Tractor Supply sometimes has them in local stores, but I bought the new pair on line.

Have kept waterproof the best I have ever had in a leather style boot. Very comfortable for me.

I don't like lug soles, they carry too much chit inside of jobs.

• Like 1

Mr B has real issues so he has to be very careful about his boots(hit and run) He use to swear by red wings until about 10 yrs ago...now he wears Rocky's...once he finds a pair he buys many and stores them(he has to have a a sole lift(replacement) in the Rt due to them shortening his leg after he was hit. It is very difficult finding ,even boot, with sewn on soles any more.

I just love  wolverines ..but that depends on the style...some years they don't hit the mark.

Mr B has real issues so he has to be very careful about his boots(hit and run) He use to swear by red wings until about 10 yrs ago...now he wears Rocky's...once he finds a pair he buys many and stores them(he has to have a a sole lift(replacement) in the Rt due to them shortening his leg after he was hit. It is very difficult finding ,even boot, with sewn on soles any more.

Hmm. I see I am not alone on finding shoes/boots with sewn on soles. Right leg shorter from taking foot off bike accident , then later having it fused together because of severe arthritis. The price of having inserts put in the sole is getting expensive ,so I just put an insert in a 1/2 size larger shoe/ boot. It is a shame that Herman work shoes are not made here any more , wore them for many years. The most comfortable boots I ever had were made by Wolverine, could not find them after 2 years.

So as Grow. said if you find something that fits right , buy more then 1 pair at a time.

I'm pretty lucky that I can wear just about anything.

The excess weight I carry isn't helping my situation I'm guessing?

Svelte guys like you have a big advantage in many things but in high winds you'd be wishing we lived closer.  

:)

More than once in my new gig I've been asked; "hey Larry, can you stand on this for a second while I glue it, nail it etc"

• Like 2

Thanks all for the replies.  I'm going to hit Tractor Supply, Red Wing Shoes, EMS (just because I'm over that way!) Lockport Outdoor Store (again) and then make decisions.

I really can't believe the poor fit of all the shoes at Cabela's.  I had the same trouble there this past spring when i was looking for new hunting boots and I think I mentioned that here too.

Three different styles of Cabela's Meindl boots were made in three different countries and the fit on all of them were completely different when sized the same.

Sucks to spend the better part of a Friday night and Saturday shopping for work shoes.

Keep the comments coming, I'm all ears and appreciative.

OMG ..he wore an insert lift for many years and had all kinds of leg back problems...until a Dr. told him the insert was the problem...He has to have a custom made sole put on every rt boot  and even his house hold slippers...Ya he has very expensive feet due to that hit and run driver....They never caught the guy. I have no idea what he'll do when his shoe repair guy finally retires...Skilled labor jobs/craftsmanship  another thing Mexico,China,,ect,ect has taken from us.

I've been wearing a pair of Redwing 2404s for about 3 years now.(I'm wearing them as I type) They are the top of the line Redwing boots. I also had sore feet from standing on concrete floors for 10+ hours a day. I got them from the Redwing store on Niagara Falls Blvd next to kinkos across from pep boys.

post-2694-0-56771300-1437830214_thumb.jp

Svelte guys like you have a big advantage in many things but in high winds you'd be wishing we lived closer.  

Them winds don't even know I'm there and go right around.

Plywood in the wind can be an adventure.LOL

Surprised you got more Georgia farm boots suggestions on 24hr.....I thought I was the only one who liked those.

Grow. I had back pains for some time, then I went to see a foot doctor , I never new my right leg was shorter enough that it would actually make me stand lopsided. He prescribed a tapered insert to have put in my shoe/boot Soles. Had that done Wow  no more back pain.I have Herman  (the real old ) boots,Muck boots, Danner leather high boots, Pack boots,         Sneakers, Chest waders. and a pair of regular leather shoes with the inserts in the soles .

My ortho. doctor had a tapered insert made for me that I use in my slippers and shoes/ boots that they cannot put an insert in the sole ( as a lot of the newer molded soles ) .

So I know what Mr. B is going threw.

I have a pair of Red Wings as i got them through my Dept. for work . I don't wear mine , to heavy for me, most guys love them .

I really liked Danner when they were USA made. I wear Rockeys at work they'er ok . Merrels off duty, my foot Dr likes those and added a " built up padding thing" under the insoles ( I have arthritis in both feet )

Now I am a big Allen Edmonds fan, hand made in America by Americans , can be recrafted as well. Pricey yes but they are not made by kids in China .

Now this pair does go,on sale for around $275 from time to time, but may be a bit stylish for a rough and tumble man such as yourself , I love them. Not sure how hard you'll be on your boots though .

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6021_1_40000000001_-1?style=6043

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

You've hit upon something here that has bothered me for awhile. Poor shoes, and poor shoe stores. Anyone in Rochester remember Grassroots? Quilty shoes and a staff who knew the product and how to fit a person correctly .

First time there they measured me said size whatever , no,I wear size x, no you don't ....

Bought an American made boot larger then I ever wore and hum my feet did not hurt !

Those boots lasted years upon years.

Now it's a lot of foreign made shoes with spotty Quilty and sizing that's all,over the place.

Even the Red wing store I went to, low selection of their own product line and the woman knew very little about their own product to boot .

Then you have some outdoor stores that have a few hunting and a few hiking shoes but again low selection none of the higher end ones and staff that just came over for the golf area to fill in.

Put your money in shoes and sheets, you spend the most time in them.

Edited by Larry302

• 1 year later...

I had Wolverine Work boots before .  These boots lasted less than a year. Both soles totally broke across the bottom. I have never seen anything like this! The last pair of boots lasted 3 years! Now I have Tımberland Pro Men's Endurance . It has  durable features such as a safety-toe, non-slip rubber outer sole, plus, anti-fatigue technology make these work boots stand up to just about anything.  Not only are they comfortable and great for those with back and knee problems, the 8” shaft offers substantial support for your ankles.  However, I would suggest selecting half a size larger than your average shoe size, as they tend to run small. 

25 minutes ago, LiamAntony said:

I had Wolverine Work boots before .  These boots lasted less than a year. Both soles totally broke across the bottom. I have never seen anything like this! The last pair of boots lasted 3 years! Now I have Tımberland Pro Men's Endurance . It has  durable features such as a safety-toe, non-slip rubber outer sole, plus, anti-fatigue technology make these work boots stand up to just about anything.  Not only are they comfortable and great for those with back and knee problems, the 8” shaft offers substantial support for your ankles.  However, I would suggest selecting half a size larger than your average shoe size, as they tend to run small. 

There ya go lawd, it only took almost 2 years to get the answer you were looking for, hopefully your feet havent been too sore in the mean time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

There ya go lawd, it only took almost 2 years to get the answer you were looking for, hopefully your feet havent been too sore in the mean time.

I've been through 3 pair Chippewa and one pair of Keen's. 

Sometime last year I got the pair of Keen's.  They were great for a while then a couple months ago my feet started to hurt bad.  I thought for the most part it was me but I think the shoes just broke down and the inner sole (?) breaks down and then the sucktitude starts. I bought three pairs of shoes from three different stores and returned two, the keeper is a pair of Merrill's.  They are (not surprisingly) a half size bigger than almost anything else I've ever worn and fit great.  I've had them for about 10 days and so far, so good.

In early January I bought a pair of Lowa boots to replace other ill-fitting hunting boots and I'm still not positive if they're going to work out......damn I hope so.

Edited by Lawdwaz

I wanted something waterproof to wear around working , etc and bought a pair of Wolverine boots . I have only had them for a couple weeks but find them very comfortable . They were originally $149.99 at DICKs but I  got them on clearance at $74.97 and used a $15 coupon so they only cost me $60 and tax . Not much of a review but so far they are comfortable .

• Like 1