Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

BTW guys, who says MLs are the goal here? Maybe its a little more simple, like full inclusion of Crossbows. Just speculation on my part, but I do know they want full inclusion. They have made that statement in the past.

My "affection" for the crossbow is well documented. I would taken full inclusion in a heartbeat over this and I doubt anyone else would disagree.

• Like 4

So here's my question, using rational thought, what would you like to see?

Not about guns hunters vs bow hunters vs crossbow hunters vs muzzle loader hunters.

I am asking as a united front, what do you feel we should do? Try and keep your anger in check here and think. What are thoughts on ways to make us all happy?

Bring back doe day to NY? Segment the 4 main seasons and not allow the use of other weapons during those seasons? Maybe create just 2 main seasons, bow and gun. Bow season is for vertical bows and crossbows only, the gun season for rifle, shotgun, and ML only. Then a 3 week late season where you can your weapon of choice.

I am not sure they will ever make the seasons so we are all happy, but there has to be a middle ground most of us could live with.

As for doe only and Ar's.....I think the 3" antler might be a good statewide compromise. Those who wait for the big bucks are happy, and those that will take a young buck are happy. 

Tags? What's the total we are allowed? 5? So, why not allow us to get those tags from the get go and be done with it. If I have a DMP for 4H then let me use it when I see fit.

In a perfect hunting world, what would you like too see NY change. 

Stubby and Orion,

Will you please tell me how I am suppose to shoot more doe these first two weeks when the DEC does not give me any extra tags until NOV1

I have stated and I can not believe you would disagree ...BH should not be expected to burn their either or tag the first two weeks of bow. Then you have BH that hunt multiple areas and seasons(areas that do not get extra tags) and split their tags...So tell me how the DEC could possible expect a higher doe count just those 2 weeks

Lets see you can get two dmps, you have an either or, and many have a second antlerless only muzzleloader. That's a possibility of four. You get one buck tag. You have a problem with an 50:50 take?

If you still have a problem shooting one doe. Nope I can't answer you.

Oh yeah then there's the two more bonus tags you pointed out that can be used after nov1 , still archery season in case your wondering,

If that's not the question you wanted answered please let me know which one I can help you with

Not about guns hunters vs bow hunters vs crossbow hunters vs muzzle loader hunters.

I am asking as a united front, what do you feel we should do? Try and keep your anger in check here and think. What are thoughts on ways to make us all happy?

Bring back doe day to NY? Segment the 4 main seasons and not allow the use of other weapons during those seasons? Maybe create just 2 main seasons, bow and gun. Bow season is for vertical bows and crossbows only, the gun season for rifle, shotgun, and ML only. Then a 3 week late season where you can your weapon of choice.

I'm not a big fan of earn a buck. Because the first deer you see could be a buck. I also think it encourages someone to just take a doe and maybe not care for the meat. I also believe it removes the same freedom we use to have. But if doe truly are your issue, implement it for the start of the archery season all the way through. Meaning the gun only guy has to drop a doe too.

Personally that's the only change I'd vote for. Because my real preference is no change at all.

That makes you a politician ...for you did not answer my question...you did a pretty little dance around it..or you did not read the post...hhmmmmm

I already told you what I wanted answered...you did not want to answer it...I suppose in your answer I'm to assume you think BH in these areas should be forced to forgo doe tags in their other hunting WMU's and burn their either or tag on a doe that first two weeks..

So tell me how the DEC could possible expect a higher doe count just those 2 weeks

Now please read the following and show me where it states I can use my doe only ML tag in bow season...REMEMBER this is about the hunting doe only in archery the first two weeks....

Bowhunting

Bowhunting opportunities include both the regular and archery seasons. Residents may use a bow to take legally antlered deer and bear during the regular season provided the taker possesses both a valid hunting license and either a current bowhunting privilege or a valid bowhunter education certificate. Residents may take deer of either sex during the archery season provided the taker possesses a hunting license and bowhunting privilege. Refer to Bag Limits above for information on hunting with a bow during regular and archery seasons.

Maybe I'm mistaken with thinking they want more doe shot in bow season.

So you think they put a two week antlerless season in archery to take more doe in gun season?

Dont put words in my mouth.

In those WMUs, they want more does killed period. Handing out more DMPs has not done the trick, so they are trying something different. It wont work, and an early ML season most likely wont do much either. Its not the number of doe they allow to be killed that is the main problem. Its land access.

• Like 3

Growalot,

First off I answered your question the best I could, if you can't shot a doe with the available tags then I really can't help you. But your inability to shoot a doe doesn't mean I didn't answer the question.

Second go to the DEC website it tells you right there the muzzleloader and archery tags are good for either season. So unless it was specifically excluded it from the two week antlerless only part you can and if so then I stand corrected

Anything else you need to know feel free to ask.

Growalot,

First off I answered your question the best I could, if you can't shot a doe with the available tags then I really can't help you. But your inability to shoot a doe doesn't mean I didn't answer the question.

Second go to the DEC website it tells you right there the muzzleloader and archery tags are good for either season. So unless it was specifically excluded it from the two week antlerless only part you can and if so then I stand corrected

Anything else you need to know feel free to ask.

Are you referring to the tags Orion? The either sex tags for bow and ML? 

Yes one either sex and the second would be antlerless only. I am under the impression you can use them in either season according to the regs.

Yes you can. You can also use DMAPs if the property you hunt gets them, and 2 DMPs (only because the second sets of DMPs arent available until after the 2 week season is over). Its the same number of tags that youve always been able to use during early bow season.

• Like 1

I am asking as a united front, what do you feel we should do? 

I'd love for every deer hunter in the state to mail Art and Jeremy a package full of packing peanuts or some other benign item - maybe playdoh so they can have all the "does" they need.

Ever see the disruption of receiving 500,000 boxes in an office setting? The constant influx of packages will be nothing short of overwhelming. Mail-ins are a physical presence.

Might not be PC or any attempt to be fair, but they'll get the point. People do that crap all the time when television stations cancel TV shows, and often, it works. 

That's just me being me though.

• Like 3

I'd love for every deer hunter in the state to mail Art and Jeremy a package full of packing peanuts or some other benign item - maybe playdoh so they can have all the "does" they need.

Ever see the disruption of receiving 500,000 boxes in an office setting? The constant influx of packages will be nothing short of overwhelming. Mail-ins are a physical presence.

Might not be PC or any attempt to be fair, but they'll get the point. People do that crap all the time when television stations cancel TV shows, and often, it works. 

That's just me being me though.

not a novel idea to me.  it does work well to get the point across.  coordinated effort works best. within a given week for post marking.

said it earlier in one of these threads....  reg gun season antler only tag used as a conditional either sex tag but during the reg season not after.  some will run out of time or lose interest and then, as the opportunity presents itself, decide to take a doe.  some will never take a doe, but some of those who don't buy the full spread of available tags will then be able to use it.  create more opportunity without burdening your most efficient hunters (those more vested hunting early or late season who take doe at some point throughout the season).

• Like 1

Ok lets.do doe.only.last two weeks of September, then either sex Oct 1..

I'd think same situation we've got now.  limited participation.  hot days to me are just as worry worthy as cold ones.  I've passed deer early season on a hot Sunday evening, because i don't really have time to deal with it right away and have to work the following day.  early archery season is ample enough time for me to fill tags.  i don't think it'd change my harvest numbers.

• Like 1

I will stand corrected on the muzzle loader doe tag...I was under the impression that tag could not be used in bow similar to reg season tag can't be used in bow season...my bad on that...

moog....  he may not agree with it but he seems to think  bow hunters obligation to use all their tags in that two weeks and only in those areas and just shut up and let the DEC continue along their merry way tossing out bad policies...I will not agree with that when you go along with such things you are condoning and enabling them in what amounts to black mail. I will be going for an 8M and 8X not because it's convenient...I work my tail off here but will have to move to areas I have never hunted and usually hunt during gun or bear when I do.. I can't just roll out of bed and walk across the street or behind the house I have to pack gear and drive an hour to one and 15 min to the other. but I will because this is wrong!

Dont put words in my mouth.

In those WMUs, they want more does killed period. Handing out more DMPs has not done the trick, so they are trying something different. It wont work, and an early ML season most likely wont do much either. Its not the number of doe they allow to be killed that is the main problem. Its land access.

two things

1) didn't put words in your mouth, feel free to point it out.

2) since I asked you a question why don't you answer it?

"So you think they put a two week antlerless season in archery to take more doe in gun season?"

Your words. I never said anything of the sort.

I said they need more doe killed. Why the heck would it matter what season it happens in? At the end of the season, they are dead all the same. Adding heavier pressure at the beginning of the season will be counter productive, I assume you have some understanding of what hunting pressure does to deer activity on a property. If not, a little reading on the subject will clear it up for you.

I dont care how the DEC wants to spin this or lie about what they are doing, doe only, early muzzleloader, etc will not fix the real problem. I heard Hurst mention it in his public service announcement piece on the Bob Lonsberry show, but they have yet to come up with a way to address it effectively. It wont matter how many DMPs they put out there, how many special doe only seasons they add, none of that will get anyone access to hunting land. Cant kill them if you cant get at them.

The DEC doesnt have a clue what they are doing. This plan of theirs is proof of that.

• Like 2

having a tough time with this WNY,  I never said you said it, feel free to point that out now that you have said it twice.

See the question mark ????? Its a question i asked

"They need more doe killed"

Do we agree you said this?

They made a two week antlers only archery season.

Do we agree on this?

So i know i asked you the question again.

Doc, step back and look at it from another way. The Dec wants doe take persentages to be higher during bow seasons. As it stands right they are very low persentage of doe take during gun season is high. I know all the but there are more gun hunters then bow hunters crap but the numbers of hunters in each season does not matter when just looking at persentage. If the doe take in gun is 50% that means gun hunters are shooting does. If the doe take in bow is 20% there is room for improvement. Not as many doe can be taken during bow however there could be more taken with more effort.............................

I am taking them (DEC) at their word. They have said nothing about reforming bowhunters. In fact they have not even tried to explain why they feel that bowhunters should shoulder the management of doe populations by themselves. All they have officially and publicly talked about is a cluster of WMUs that are in extreme danger of environmental catastrophe because of the horrible numbers of deer. If they really mean this, then I am assuming that the season choice to apply these special programs would be those that have the highest possibility of success. To me that seems logical. Either they feel it is necessary to cut the herd or not. Never mind this imagined, unstated nonsense about getting bowhunters to harvest more of this or more of that. That is simply your speculation based on absolutely nothing they have said. It is only about reducing deer numbers (so they have said). Their public statements are all anyone has to go on, not some thoughts about what you wish they had said.

• Like 1

I understand.  I hunt in the affected areas and pass many, many doe every year.  I also average killing 4 doe a season, probably 2 (3 last year) in archery.  Again, I don't see myself taking more doe overall simply because its doe only first two weeks of archery, but I do suspect that is the DEC's thinking. 

If DEC really wants more doe taken in this period, then open DMPs to as many as a hunter wants with proof that the first two are filled.   Even in these WMUs, each area is different, but some do have very high doe populations.  We have one property where we regularly shoot 10 plus doe a season and it is still heavily populated the next season.  Other properties in the same WMU, 10 doe taken would decimate the local population.

Heck, if they are serious about whacking the hell out of the does, drop the DMP requirement completely. Open season on does for all seasons ..... period. How serious is this over population problem anyway? You want them wiped out, simply remove all impediments to doing so. And buy the way, eliminate the charge for tag applications in those WMUs also. We can knock down that herd real quick, and it doesn't require limiting anybody. There are so many ways to whack on the herd, that it is hard to believe that population management has to be put solely on the backs of the smallest group of hunters alone. Believe me, there is more to all of this nonsense than simply a need for population control.

• Like 1