Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Stubby, the reason I would shoot a big buck in early October warm weather, but may pass on a doe in the same situation is because I will be more willing to deal with the inconvenience of the kill if it's a nice buck. In other words shooting a big buck gives me more sense of accomplishment than shooting a doe. Since you posed this question I take it that you do not share the same view. That's fine. We all don't have to hunt for the same reasons and with the same motives.

As a bow inter and rifle hunter the season is long. If I don't want to deal with a doe in the early heat of October, it's a nice luxury to have.

I agree, other than i wouldn't call it an inconvenience to kill an animal. It should be a total accomplishment with alittle more work and worry because you have the possibility of losing the meat in early October if the deer has to sit overnight or you don't have access to a freezer.

I don't get it?  For years bowhunters wanted the season to open on Oct 1, and now some are saying that they don't want to kill a doe because it may spoil in the warm early October weather??  So the point is that you guys only really care to kill a buck?  And you don't care if it's meat spoils or not.  If this is the case, how are those wrong that think bowhunters aren't getting the job done on does?  I realize that bowhunter will never kill many deer, period, but you guys are practically admitting that all you really care about killing are bucks..

Have at it guys! 

Edited by steve863

I don't get it? For years bowhunters wanted the season to open on Oct 1, and now some are saying that they don't want to kill a doe because it may spoil in the warm early October weather?? So the point is that you guys only really care to kill a buck? And you don't care of it's meat spoils or not. If this is the case, how are those wrong that think bowhunters aren't getting the job done on does? I realize that bowhunter will never kill many deer, period, but you guys are practically admitting that all you really care about killing are bucks..

Have at it guys!

I can't get the justification for this approach to taking a doe. They start in August in SC and they get processed. To me either line up a processor or hone up in your skills. Once put an hour spent should get it in a cooler to keep. OR be a great time to donate some

I can't get the justification for this approach to taking a doe. They start in August in SC and they get processed. To me either line up a processor or hone up in your skills. Once put an hour spent should get it in a cooler to keep. OR be a great time to donate some

Yes, all it would take is an hour or two to get it skinned, quartered and iced in a cooler.  Not much time at all.  Of course this would take away time from hunting that big buck, which is what worries them most of all.

I don't get it?  For years bowhunters wanted the season to open on Oct 1, and now some are saying that they don't want to kill a doe because it may spoil in the warm early October weather??  So the point is that you guys only really care to kill a buck?  And you don't care of it's meat spoils or not.  If this is the case, how are those wrong that think bowhunters aren't getting the job done on does?  I realize that bowhunter will never kill many deer, period, but you guys are practically admitting that all you really care about killing are bucks..

Have at it guys! 

I didnt see anyone say anything about not caring if the meat spoils, I saw someone say they wouldnt mind the work it takes to deal with making sure the meat doesnt spoil as much if it was a good buck vs a doe. He didnt say he doesnt want to shoot a doe, he said he would rather shoot a doe at a time when he doesnt have to rush so quickly to get the meat taken care of.

Honestly, I agree with him to a point. It doesnt matter to me if its bow or gun season in that respect either. If its an evening and I have to work the next day, and its warm out, Im not shooting anything less than a big buck either.

Again, will one of you guys that seem to be siding with the DEC please answer the question of what difference does it make if a doe is killed during bow or gun season?

• Like 2

I dont know about your spot, but most of archery season, Im listening to waterfowlers, and small game hunters banging away anyhow. Doesnt ruin my experience and it doesnt make the deer sketchy.

I've always felt though that the deer know when they're the target. Tell me you don't see a difference in deer pasterns when gun opens up? Yes a lot of that is increased human presence, but there's something to the bangs as well.

I don't get it?  For years bowhunters wanted the season to open on Oct 1, and now some are saying that they don't want to kill a doe because it may spoil in the warm early October weather??  So the point is that you guys only really care to kill a buck?  And you don't care if it's meat spoils or not.  If this is the case, how are those wrong that think bowhunters aren't getting the job done on does?  I realize that bowhunter will never kill many deer, period, but you guys are practically admitting that all you really care about killing are bucks..

Have at it guys! 

I don't think anyone here is hiding the fact that we want to shoot bucks if we can. If that's a bad thing, than so be it I guess. Personally, this site is high and mighty about not judging other hunters. So if I'm judged for horn hunting that's hypocritical. I always eat what I kill. I do feel better and enjoy a nice buck kill more than a flathead. I wont lie about that.

Yes there are probably too many doe where I hunt, so if I can be picky and not "risk" shooting an early season doe than I wont. The key term is risk. Harvesting a deer early can lead to the opportunity of spoiled meat. So if I can avoid it, I will. The reward outweighs the risk for me when it comes to bigger bucks. Mostly because I only get a few chances a year at them, where as doe are almost a daily occurrence. Some may not like that answer, but those are my cards on the table. Furthermore I don't always cut up my own deer. Smiths Processing in Marion is closed on the weekends during bow. So an early saturday kill will hang till monday and then I need to be late to work to drop him/her off. The 8 point I posted had to be wrapped and iced all weekend. I'm not doing that for a doe I could easily take and drop off during gun.

not a lot of guys have the space, equipment or time to process deer. But it's a great point you bring up. It's very warm here in Mississippi and we open on 10/1. For the very reason you mentioned I had to get myself set up to do it in my garage. Here's what "I" did.

a big game hoist and gambrle ($30)

big game digital game scale ($40)

2x6 and wood screws and i bolt ($15)

bike cable lock ($10)

processing kit ($40) plus knives already owned

vac sealer ($90)

grinder ($180)

cut a hole in the garage drywall ceiling, reinforced vertical beams with a horizontal 2x6, screwed ibolt into beam, wrapped bike lock as a safety measure if bolt fails, hung gambrle from bolt/cable. Installed removable panel to close off hole when not in use.

It wasn't a big chore, but it's a process you have to commit to doing. You need the equipment that wont pay back immediately and you need the time and knowledge on how to process.

I wish I had a better pic but can't find one. Gives you the idea anyhow of the suburban hunter's setup.

D0FF1DC4-938D-4E35-AAA5-0E25EF4E148B_zps

Point is, not all of us have "hunting camp" right around the corner

006_zpsa3023c41.jpg

Edited by Belo

Gun in September would not increase participation? Come on

I didn't take what he said as having a gun involved.  I thought he was thinking to expand early archery season to add two weeks of doe only in order to have the current early season either sex opportunity remain the same.  I'd killed them sooner but wouldn't change the number of deer I shoot if he was talking about use of a gun.

Am I the only one who wont shoot a doe with yearlings?

I can't tell you how many times I've had family groups that I refused to shoot for that very reason. You can't force me to do something I just wont feel good about. Shot a very mature doe 2 years ago with the mz. 2 yearling doe with her. One ended up coming back and watched as I gutted her. I had felt at the time out of the 5 doe, taking 1 wouldn't be an issue so I took the shot for the freezer. 2 weeks later after a lot more snow I found the yearling dead 10' from where the mature doe died. Never again.

you mean a fawn not a yearling??  I've taken doe out of family groups and haven't experienced that yet.  had some stand and watch off in a distance as I gutted the mature one of the group.  they run off though.  I won't shoot a fawn for personal reasons but any 1.5+ doe would be fair game.  I tend to take ones 3.5+ though.  come to think of it I haven't taken any younger that I'm aware of.  By two weeks of age rumination starts and they forage more and more with each passing day.  by 2.5 months they can survive without milk and usually get raps to the head and forced to do so between 3-4 months.  they have more to learn but if they're with other deer at all they will.  so by early southern zone bow season they should be fine.  I don't think your experience would be typical.

I've always felt though that the deer know when they're the target. Tell me you don't see a difference in deer pasterns when gun opens up? Yes a lot of that is increased human presence, but there's something to the bangs as well.

I honestly only start seeing a difference when the human presence is there. Its really like a light switch that afternoon, when there are 5 times as many people in the woods, with oily guns , etc. regardless if a single shot was taken that morning or not.

• Like 1

Steve863,

Who are you kidding? "Skinned, quartered, and iced?"

You forgot about giving the deer ample time to expire, tracking blood in the dark, gutting it, and dragging it. Usually all by myself.

And thanks for twisting my words. You literally twisted my words to mean almost the opposite of what I meant. That takes skill. Ever run for office?

• Like 3

Ok quick QUESTION, is that clear enough WNY

This is what you said about the assumption that the DEC wanted to increase the antlerless deer take during archery season.

In post #551 doc said it was my "imagining"

In post #514 in a response to stubby WNY said it was "false pretenses"

Now for Doc and WNY,

Do you really believe my assumption that the DEC by implementing the two week antlerless archery period (however ill conceived and ridiculous it is) that this assumption that it was to increase the antlerless take during archery season is wrong?

Your assumption attempts to make sense of an idiotic, illogical plan. You are pretending to understand their motives with that assumption. I can take that same information in the light of their long-standing desire to hand over parts of bow season to muzzleloaders, and come up with other scenarios and motives for them placing the burden of herd population management on the backs of archers only. I have little respect remaining for the DEC's intellect, but I believe there reasons for placing the impossible task on bowhunters is to justify the implementation of deer hunting with firearms inside of bow seasons by setting bowhunters up for logical failure. And yes that in their minds will cause more does to be taken in what used to be bow season.

The real difference in our two assumptions is that you believe that there really is something bowhunters can do about it. I am facing up to the more likely reality that they have no intention of declaring us successful. They want that muzzleloading season in the bowhunting time slot ..... period, and you can kill all the does you want, and they will declare your failure. We differ in assumed motives and outcomes. Are you wrong? Only time will tell.

• Like 1

Your assumption attempts to make sense of an idiotic, illogical plan. You are pretending to understand their motives with that assumption. I can take that same information in the light of their long-standing desire to hand over parts of bow season to muzzleloaders, and come up with other scenarios and motives for them placing the burden of herd population management on the backs of archers only. I have little respect remaining for the DEC's intellect, but I believe there reasons for placing the impossible task on bowhunters is to justify the implementation of deer hunting with firearms inside of bow seasons by setting bowhunters up for logical failure. And yes that in their minds will cause more does to be taken in what used to be bow season.

The real difference in our two assumptions is that you believe that there really is something bowhunters can do about it. I am facing up to the more likely reality that they have no intention of declaring us successful. They want that muzzleloading season in the bowhunting time slot ..... period, and you can kill all the does you want, and they will declare your failure. We differ in assumed motives and outcomes. Are you wrong? Only time will tell.

A simple yes or no my assumption doc,

Am I wrong in assuming the dec wants to shoot more doe in archery season hence the reason for the antlerless only weeks?

You seem to want to mix it up with all kinds of crap and not answer the question, but that's no surpirse

I don't think anyone here is hiding the fact that we want to shoot bucks if we can. If that's a bad thing, than so be it I guess.

But apparently from some of the comments that I have read on this thread, that is a bowhunter phenomenon only. Gun hunters don't have that affliction at all .... lol. I guess that must be what the DEC believes, and we bowhunters will be flogged until we learn the proper hunting motivations and behavior.

• Like 1

Most of the time I shot a deer in the south when it was warm - we had a big giant cooler to hang the deer in. Nearly every single hunt club I know of or had been around in the south have walk in coolers. They can invest in that because their season is so long and during warm weather. Walk-in coolers are also a legit business in the south outside of hunt clubs. People rent space all the time. Here, not exactly practical for most.

I've yet to see a private walk-in cooler set up for deer hunting here.

Sunday night, I have no qualms saying I'm probably going to pass that doe. But, that's also the case during bow gun or MZ, unless I am willing to burn the PTO to take care of it. When I shot my buck on Oct. 1, it was 2:30 a.m. before my head hit the pillow after all was said and done. I was a zombie the next day at work - never again. If it's buckzilla, I'll shoot it and take PTO. I'm simply not going to do that for a doe. For the record, I did fill four antlerless tags last season. If you want to complain about me passing a Sunday night doe, please be sure to have shot five doe last season; otherwise, you know where you can go...

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

A simple yes or no my assumption doc,

Am I wrong in assuming the dec wants to shoot more doe in archery season hence the reason for the antlerless only weeks?

You seem to want to mix it up with all kinds of crap and not answer the question, but that's no surpirse

Pay attention to all that crap. You might just be able to open up your mind and understand what is likely happening right in front of your eyes or at least get a new perspective on what is happening. I know that is inconvenient, but don't be so darned eager to drink that DEC kool-aid that you refuse to examine other alternative opinions.

As far as heat, I'll pass does just so I don't get sweaty, I can shoot does on over 50% or more of my sits so I'll pass when it's warm, if I got a long drag across plowed fields I'll never shoot a doe in that spot as well. If it's last light and I'm working the next day , pass.....

Heck I'll pass a doe if I feel I'd be late for watching Survior on tv with our friends.

Now a large buck it seems I get one in close opportunity in bow season ( last year bad angle and too many limbs , never even shot) so yes I'll get sweaty, spend three hours dragging the darn thing across 16 inch deep muddy furrows, or try to get a guy at the last minute to cover my shift the next Day if needed .

I might even miss Survior if the wife will dvr it !

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 3