Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

The muzzleloader tag is a bow/muzzleloader tag. So even if you don't use your muzzleloader you can use that tag for deer shot with a bow. At least that's how I understand it.

And skillet, a man only gets a certain number of hunting seasons, sitting one out seems a little nuts!

You're right, but you've got to draw a line somewhere. I don't need to deer hunt to enjoy the season. Squirrel hunting has always been my favorite anyway. Ideally, I'd just buy a small game license. Unfortunately, I will still have to buy a deer license because it's my son's first year of archery hunting, & I don't want to let him down. Kind of a bleak outlook for his hunting career though.

Hell, then they don't even have to wait for hunting season to start or even buy a hunting license if they want to do whatever they please on their own land.  That's BS.  Many of your posts point to landowners doing whatever they want in terms of game management on their land, but once they start violating the law, then we are talking about something completely different.  Free ranging game is NOT owned by the landowners in NYS or any other U.S. state that I am aware of.  There is a difference between free ranging and game farm animals.

They pay the taxes on that property and its big enough that they pretty much feed the wildlife that lives on it. Not everybody is going to lay back and take it in the behind. Their property and they will do what they please with it and anything that has anything to do with it.

Pretty simple really.  I take it you have no clue about paying thousands for something and then having some dipshit telll ya you cant do this and ya cant do that?  Sorry Son, That dont work for many.  Many wont get up on their knee,s for the state or their screwed up rules and laws. You do as you please and others will take care of themselves.

Seems like there was a host of opportunities to increase their doe take without screwing so many hunters.

They started the license year on September 1st a couple years ago. They could have popped in a week or two in September for a gun season that was doe only.

They could have done over the counter sales for these areas rather than a draw.

They could have removed the Doe tag fee for these areas

I just don't get why they chose the least productive weapons to put  the burden on and why any change has to be more restrictive rather than increasing opportunity.

• Like 6

Actually many wont. End of year, cold weather, after the grind of regular season, and ala carte licenses. Rather than buying the super sportsman up front, im not buying my mz tag unles i feel the need to fill the freezer at that point and time. Chances are ill have shot a doe or four by then, so there isnt much incentive to go buy it.

I dont mind saying that shooting a buck is what engages me in this sport. I sure as heck enjoy the camraderie and shooting some does, and enjoy the hunt. But taking away the ability to shoot a buck fully, really reduces my desire to get out of bed when it is a high of 15 degress and ten inches of snow to wade through.

Not to mention, im going to have little desire to shoot a doe outside of those three weeks. I want to maximize what time there is now to kill a buck. My group of 3 shot 13 freaking doe last season in these impact units. Im not all that excited we will meet that target again once we compile enough meat for the freezer for us. To be honest, I could easily just get the statewide antlerless and pop a doe early and be done with doe hunting because Im not going to use more than one full deer anyway in my house and a buck will be able to be given out to those I normally donate to.

Either way, either doe tags or the mz will not be bought by me this year. We will see how it goes.

Spot on for me, I wont bother hunting that season. The only reason I have hunted late season in the past is its a good opportunity to get the drop on a buck heading to feed. Im usually about burnt out at that point, and now that I cant go after a buck, I wont bother unless I really really had a slim season and need meat in the freezer.

• Like 1

quite honestly, what bowhunter would venture out onto their hunting land for two weeks prior to being able to kill the buck they had been watching all summer and further screw up the area by shooting does? These guys are just going to sit back and wait until they can take a buck...........burn vacation time to hunt those first two weeks, why? it doesn't affect me at all, but it makes no sense the way they set this up.

• Like 1

As far as the tags go let me try this.

You buy a big game license. it give you one antlered deer tag.

you buy your FIRST special privilege and  it give you an either sex tag (could be bow or ML)

You buy your second special privilege and it give you an antlerless only. (could be bow or ML depending on what you bought first) 

if you have BOTH special privileges then you can use either or BOTH tags in the appropriate season. like filling both tags in early bow and never going out with the ML or saving them both until late ML. Or like I will be doing, going up north in mid October and filling both in the NZ. Might even try to find that 1.5 year old with the one 3" spike to take him.

quite honestly, what bowhunter would venture out onto their hunting land for two weeks prior to being able to kill the buck they had been watching all summer and further screw up the area by shooting does? These guys are just going to sit back and wait until they can take a buck...........burn vacation time to hunt those first two weeks, why? it doesn't affect me at all, but it makes no sense the way they set this up.

I will probably go out local but on different property than I typically go after the bucks on in the early season. it will be after work type stuff and weekends for a morning or evening sit but the effort sure wont be there and I won't be burning up the better property

Many a good bucks will still be harvested in these areas. private landowners are not going to listen to and take this crap shoved down their throat. I know a very good piece of land in 8H that will see no new changes from any other year.

Call it lawbreaker,poacher or what have you but i know these hardcore, Land Owning,Tax Paying bowhunters manage THEIR own property for the hunting that they enjoy and the reason they paid all that cash for a good chunk of property was because of the chances and choices that piece of property offered.  Nothing will change!

You are probably right. My guess is that there are a few surrounding WMUs that will see their buck harvest reports go up during early bow and late ML season.

You are probably right. My guess is that there are a few surrounding WMUs that will see their buck harvest reports go up during early bow and late ML season.

Watch how many 1.5's hit the deck this year in these areas. you reduce the time to pursue the bucks and there are many that will take what is available. I bet the 1.5 harvest goes up by 20% in these areas.   

• Like 4

You bet ya..Our property in 8H is over the hill from the 8M line. Not that i myself would do this on my property or suggest that any tax paying,deer feeding farmer or landowner should do this...Thats for Steve and Biz...But many a nice bucks will be killed in H and scribbled in M...Without a doubt!

• Like 1

They pay the taxes on that property and its big enough that they pretty much feed the wildlife that lives on it. Not everybody is going to lay back and take it in the behind. Their property and they will do what they please with it and anything that has anything to do with it.

Pretty simple really.  I take it you have no clue about paying thousands for something and then having some dipshit telll ya you cant do this and ya cant do that?  Sorry Son, That dont work for many.  Many wont get up on their knee,s for the state or their screwed up rules and laws. You do as you please and others will take care of themselves.

I won't disagree with you that a lot of the laws are screwed up, but when someone starts telling me that just because they own land they should be able to shoot whatever they want on it, then we are talking about something else.  What's to stop a person with this mentality to plug that nice buck in August or September without bothering to buy a hunting license at all?  Honestly what's the difference if they feel they can do whatever they want on their own land??  The guy down the road might hate ALL deer because of the damage they do to his crops and wants to kill everyone he sees.  How will that help the free ranging deer in your area?  Don't you think there will now be less deer to potentially wander on to your property??  You need to be careful for what you wish for.  Not everyone is in the business of deer hunting like you are, so they may not be looking at things the same as you.

No effect in my area 4Y but those brown lines are getting too close for comfort. I'm more upset that Fall Turkey is down to 2 weeks and limits are down to 1 tag. I was hoping to get my son out there in the woods for more than just 2 weekends. Oh well, thankfully his regular firearm season was not affected.

Just curious, other than those that don't care because it doesn't affect their areas, is anyone in support of this change?  If so, why?

I know I voiced opposition during the comment period.  I seriously question whether there was any meaningful support for this decision by public comment.  If not, what is the purpose of asking for comments?

So many have articulated why this is not a good strategy for reducing doe population, but I have yet to see any explanation of how it will achieve the goal.  Personally,  I can see EAB, Sept. doe only season, or designating some portion of the gun season as doe only (among other options) as being much more effective.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Just curious, other than those that don't care because it doesn't affect their areas, is anyone in support of this change?  If so, why?

I know I voiced opposition during the comment period.  I seriously question whether there was any meaningful support for this decision by public comment.  If not, what is the purpose of asking for comments?

So many have articulated why this is not a good strategy for reducing doe population, but I have yet to see any explanation of how it will achieve the goal.  Personally,  I can see EAB, Sept. doe only season, or designating some portion of the gun season as doe only (among other options) as being much more effective.

They ask for comments because they have to. They do not have to listen/take them into consideration though.

I would love to see how the a$$ clowns from DEC justify this for doe population reduction. I can't think of a scenario where this will work.

• Like 2

many other options seem to make more sense than this if the main goal is to kill more doe...........are they banking on the fact that most hunters can't stay home when the season opens and will get out there early and start killing them? are there less hunters that care about whether or not a deer has antlers then we think? is this what they got back through the surveys?.........it only makes sense that implementing something like this for gun hunters would achieve their goal much quicker and easier. I'm not a fan of anything that places a restriction on a hunter in one area that isn't done statewide, at least when it comes to bucks.......I'm not a trophy hunter so I will go out either way and shoot antlerless deer, but I do care that it affects many in a negative way.

Edited by jjb4900

I won't disagree with you that a lot of the laws are screwed up, but when someone starts telling me that just because they own land they should be able to shoot whatever they want on it, then we are talking about something else.  What's to stop a person with this mentality to plug that nice buck in August or September without bothering to buy a hunting license at all?  Honestly what's the difference if they feel they can do whatever they want on their own land??  The guy down the road might hate ALL deer because of the damage they do to his crops and wants to kill everyone he sees.  How will that help the free ranging deer in your area?  Don't you think there will now be less deer to potentially wander on to your property??  You need to be careful for what you wish for.  Not everyone is in the business of deer hunting like you are, so they may not be looking at things the same as you.

Sorry but that already happens. Has for years. Farmer gets permits to shoot at night, Mexican farm hands ride around and gut shoot every deer they can get the scope on and we find them on our property all the time. Really helps our hunting in a way.

Not everyone cares about the wild vermin as they call them and could care less about tags,laws or any deer on their property. Others manage their land for their enjoyment and will not care about some guy sitting in a chair somewhere taking a guess on how many deer he has and which ones to shoot and who to let walk. They do a much better job than the DEC...Its proven year after year. Trust me, i do it,see it...Enjoy It!

Not sure what your getting at with the..Business of Deer Hunting.. statement has anything to do with this conversation.  That part of the business has not began yet.