The Basic 5 For Big Bucks On Public Land

DirtTime

Started public land hunting last year. It's certainly a change from the land I'm used to. But I was lucky to bag a mature 9 point.

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

I will say this about the article. I don't see anything he recommends that wouldn't apply to hunting deer almost anywhere. Even pressure. Most of us have sub 100 acre parcels with neighboring pressure. Additionally thick stuff is always good for mature bucks on any property.

What I've seen in my short public land career.

1. don't be afraid to hunt from 10 to 3. those hours resulted in me seeing the most deer.

2. Go deep and steep. weird, hard and odd to get to areas held great sign for me. I sweated more and cursed more getting to them, but I found most hunters in my area were pretty lazy. They all had quads and never hiked to far in. With nothing more than a cart and climber I achieved good success.

3. utilize roads and power lines to get deep, but don't hunt "on or off" of them.

4. the obvious use of google maps applies. But what really made the difference for me was a good handheld gps. Helped to mark areas and feel safer going deeper and exploring. If you're in an area with good cell reception and can carry a backup battery pack then there are good aps. But if you're not, spend the few hundred bucks on a gps and you will not regret it. i promise.

Edit

another tip I've learned is to look for garbage. We do a bad job in the south of leaving bottles and wrappers behind. So it may not be so bad in the north. But i've stumbled upon a few "good looking" spots before just to find a bottle and shells by a stump. These human signs are great to use when scouting in the off season. Additionally going squirrel or turkey hunting can provide some spring/post season scouting with a little bit more excitement.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

wooly your an idit.

you think your so smatr but your not.

my favorite thing about someone attacking someones intelligence is when they use bad grammar and typos.

I'm not sure I'd have handled it how wooly did, but there is certainly a requirement behind giving advice. If you don't have the harvested deer, years of experience or first hand knowledge to back up your advice, then it's pretty meaningless to me.

I would take the advice of how to drive a racecar from Tony Stewart, golfing advice from Jordan Speith etc. Joe blow giving the same advice just doesn't mean as much.

These how-to articles are really decent things to read. But bear in mind that no one that I ever heard of has all the answers. And if deer hunting anywhere could be boiled down to 5 suggestions, we would all be dragging home some great deer every time out.

On the other hand, going over 5 of the deer hunting basics never did hurt anyone even those that think they know all there is to know about hunting deer.....lol.

Is there a difference between state land & wildlife management area in NY?

I was told Nothing could be left overnight

Nice, so that means you can definitely leave a stand on state land during hunting season.

As for this thread, some interesting info, as long as this newb ignores what is obviously a history between some posters  :taunt:  Though it's interesting to read that, too.

Good question...

Most state owned hunting lands around here have their own separate regulations. 

Time spent scouting in the woods, walking every inch you have time for and trying to get an idea what the deer and other hunters are doing is a good place to start. It may take some time but trying to figure it all out is half the fun.

There are 4 basic State Forest classifications (defined below):

1. Reforestation Areas
  2. Multiple Use Areas
  3. Unique Areas
  4. State Nature and Historic Preserves

On the following page, they go into a brief description of each classification:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/7811.html

I would not be surprised if each classification has a small book of rules and regulations attached. So yes the real answer to the question of what can or cannot be left behind on each classification probably differs depending on each parcel and what its classification may be. And it would not surprise me if there might even be differences with each classification depending on the specific parcel. When you ask these kinds of questions, it is probably useful to ask them about the specific parcel you intend to use.

Note their are also special rules and regulations regarding state park lands.

• Like 2

WMAs are state land. If the specific WMA has specific rules against it, then thats how it is there. If they dont specifically say you cant, then the rules I posted a link to take effect.

• Like 2

Started public land hunting last year. It's certainly a change from the land I'm used to. But I was lucky to bag a mature 9 point.

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

I will say this about the article. I don't see anything he recommends that wouldn't apply to hunting deer almost anywhere. Even pressure. Most of us have sub 100 acre parcels with neighboring pressure. Additionally thick stuff is always good for mature bucks on any property.

What I've seen in my short public land career.

1. don't be afraid to hunt from 10 to 3. those hours resulted in me seeing the most deer.

2. Go deep and steep. weird, hard and odd to get to areas held great sign for me. I sweated more and cursed more getting to them, but I found most hunters in my area were pretty lazy. They all had quads and never hiked to far in. With nothing more than a cart and climber I achieved good success.

3. utilize roads and power lines to get deep, but don't hunt "on or off" of them.

4. the obvious use of google maps applies. But what really made the difference for me was a good handheld gps. Helped to mark areas and feel safer going deeper and exploring. If you're in an area with good cell reception and can carry a backup battery pack then there are good aps. But if you're not, spend the few hundred bucks on a gps and you will not regret it. i promise.

Edit

another tip I've learned is to look for garbage. We do a bad job in the south of leaving bottles and wrappers behind. So it may not be so bad in the north. But i've stumbled upon a few "good looking" spots before just to find a bottle and shells by a stump. These human signs are great to use when scouting in the off season. Additionally going squirrel or turkey hunting can provide some spring/post season scouting with a little bit more excitement.

. Unless it's a bucket. Buckets in the woods are magic spots
  • Like 1

Can we expand on thick, nasty areas......is this in thorn bushes or thick woods such as young growth or thick swamps? How are these thickets hunted? When are the deer found in these areas? I ask these questions once again for the people wanting to learn

I think it's more like areas that are just hard to get too. Take caution with making obvious approach trails and what not, but essentially when you and anyone else enters the woods to scout you take the path of least resistance right? So make a couple turns through some thicker harder to walk through areas. You still want to hunt an area with clear shooting lanes, but the trick is to find that spot that has the lanes but is hard to get through. On private land we actually cut some runs our own through the thick. Can't do that on most public land so make an effort to keep your approach and path minimal. You'll still need to get there in the dark and you'll still need a way to get the buck out... But you'd be surprised just how darn lazy some hunters are.

What I would look for in a nasty thick area is one that is fairly large and impossible to see more that 10 yards or so in most areas. Try and anticipate where the deer will enter it and get set up to ambush them there, when they are pressured by other hunters. Take the wind direction into consideration. Try to find a little opening in the thicket, and/or get up in a portable tree-stand to extend your range a bit.

Stay out of the trees if you have turkeys around however as they will pick you out quick. I have often seen deer and turkeys together in these situations. They take advantage on each other's stronger senses. The deer like the turkey's eyes and the turkeys like the deer's nose and ears. Together, they have a nearly impregnable defense, but you can outwit them if you are hiding in the right place at the right time.

Can we expand on thick, nasty areas......is this in thorn bushes or thick woods such as young growth or thick swamps? How are these thickets hunted? When are the deer found in these areas? I ask these questions once again for the people wanting to learn

One thing you have to be careful of is not to be too loud when you are swearing at those multi-flora rose bushes when they get ahold of you. The thick areas down our way are packed with those nasty man-traps. The harder you pull, the deeper those thorns bury into you. Too much pink-faced, forehead-vein popping, violent, expletives (not deleted), are definitely going to have an alarming effect on the deer that are hunkered down in such places.

• Like 1

What I would look for in a nasty thick area is one that is fairly large and impossible to see more that 10 yards or so in most areas. Try and anticipate where the deer will enter it and get set up to ambush them there, when they are pressured by other hunters. Take the wind direction into consideration. Try to find a little opening in the thicket, and/or get up in a portable tree-stand to extend your range a bit.

Stay out of the trees if you have turkeys around however as they will pick you out quick. I have often seen deer and turkeys together in these situations. They take advantage on each other's stronger senses. The deer like the turkey's eyes and the turkeys like the deer's nose and ears. Together, they have a nearly impregnable defense, but you can outwit them if you are hiding in the right place at the right time.

My advice is a little different. Get near the thick stuff, but limiting your range to 10 yards wont yield great potential. Setup just outside that area. Great hunting can be had in transition zones. That buck will go into the thick stuff (or come out of it) to bed itself or find bedding doe. Being on the outside gives you better options. You don't always need 30 yard lanes, but try for some 20 yard shots and look for intersecting runs, not just one. In and out of the thick stuff.

• Like 1

My advice is a little different. Get near the thick stuff, but limiting your range to 10 yards wont yield great potential. Setup just outside that area. Great hunting can be had in transition zones. That buck will go into the thick stuff (or come out of it) to bed itself or find bedding doe. Being on the outside gives you better options. You don't always need 30 yard lanes, but try for some 20 yard shots and look for intersecting runs, not just one. In and out of the thick stuff.

Good advice Belo. I like to hunt VERY thick area's. But you don't want to go thrashing your way in there,only to bust out the deer you are hunting. Much better to find where they are coming in and out, and set up with the wind in your face and wait them out. And about a twenty yard shot is about all you will have in such area's.

• Like 2

Sounds like there is really no brush too thick for a deer to pass through, regardless of thorns, etc.?

it's amazing what they can travel through. and even worse what they decide to crash into when they die. I found this guy only by crawling on my belly, then going back and getting pruners so I could get him out of the brambles.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

This is the kind of stuff I was hiking through Sunday on public land. Was checking out a funnel between an outlet and a ridge. When I got there the sign wasn't great and thinking about dragging a deer out of there was more than enough for me to check out another area. In the other area a jumped a young buck and it had good sign. However, it was easier access so I'm more worried about hunter pressure.

see if you can spot my dog in the first pic

seeing this was kinda creepy too

Edited by Belo

I try to keep in mind that a deer is mostly nocturnal, so where you find the most sign is where they are at night. Look for the trails leading to and from those areas, don't necessarily set up on the sign. Basic info, I know, but sometimes we get too excited over sign

no disrespect that goes against anyone and everything any hunter will ever tell you. Ignore sign because they're there at night? I can't even count how many deer I've shot over scrapes.