Salt lick

chiefbkt

I do have to admit I'm less bugged by that than a pile of corn or feeders...I see it this way I know it's happening on others properties but I spend a lot of time and some $$$ building great food supplies legally on our place...They benefit from this as well as I.... So if they want to take a chance doing something illegal that produces healthy deer and nice racks, why shouldn't I benefit from their poor judgement...as many of you have said...apparently the deer don't use them much in the hunting season anyways..If they were to put it in my face as it were,,,then I'd have an issue as it is now I'd have to trespass to prove it...not going there ever...

I was in Dicks last season, and this guy was buying 3 or 4 bags of that deer attractant powder stuff. That is also illegal to use. I guess some people don't care how they get a buck? I've called up on guys using corn before, and would again. I don't know how you can feel any pride in getting a deer that you shot illegally.

I get what your saying but what if he's just using it for pictures to me that doesn't make him a poacher and u shouldn't assume such a thing I know baitin is wrong but if u put a camera on an apple tree is it really that differnt

• Like 1

I would talk to him if it really bothers you before I would call the authorities...........wayyyy too many people screw up relationships with neighbors by calling the Police before making an effort to take care of it on their own in a friendly type way. Although it's wrong, how many guys post trail camera pictures of deer with bait tossed in front of the camera with no ill intention other then trying to see what's in the area?...we see it all the time, and he may very well have no intention of hunting over it, nothing worse than an angry neighbor.

Actually, there are two linked illegal acts one being "baiting", and the other being "feeding". Both are illegal in almost all of NYS, and some materials can be considered to violate both. Piles of apples and corn for example could be considered to be baiting and feeding regardless of motives.

Actually, there are two linked illegal acts one being "baiting", and the other being "feeding". Both are illegal in almost all of NYS, and some materials can be considered to violate both. Piles of apples and corn for example could be considered to be baiting and feeding regardless of motives.

yes, both illegal....but, I'm still surprised at the number of people who don't know feeding deer is illegal......I would venture to guess that all hunters know that baiting is illegal (hopefully), but maybe not so much in the feeding area?....I would talk to him first and enlighten him before taking further action. But, then you tip your hand if the authorities are called....such a dilemma, what's a man to do?

I would just back off and forget about what he said he did or wants to do. Just remember you might have to live next to this person the rest of your life and some day you or a member of your household might need help from him.

Don't you people think that this type of post  are not read by the ECON or DEC personal before and during hunting season , There are quite a few  of them that are hunters also.

I'm not saying that it's ok to break the law if you arnt aware but the OP says he just moved in last year. Did the new owner come from a state where it is legal and he just did it because he does it every year. I understand the point that it his responsibility to check the laws ,it's possible that this guy may stop doing it if he became aware it was against the law.

The owner of my local archery shop (also a hunter safety instructor) says that feeding is legal and that baiting is not.  He is basing this on what a ECO told him.  His boys have several mineral blocks out in the woods and they are not for pictures (Its an Amish family).  

I don't buy it all, but I can't find anything in the rule book to prove him wrong.  Can anyone provide a page number or a link which shows that feeding is not ok?

The owner of my local archery shop (also a hunter safety instructor) says that feeding is legal and that baiting is not.  He is basing this on what a ECO told him.  His boys have several mineral blocks out in the woods and they are not for pictures (Its an Amish family).  

I don't buy it all, but I can't find anything in the rule book to prove him wrong.  Can anyone provide a page number or a link which shows that feeding is not ok?

Feeding is legal as long as its growing in the ground.

• Like 1

At the DEC site type in search "Deer and Moose feeding regulations" and you will find your answer. Your friend needs to check the regulations as do you. The info is easy to find.

It all depends on where your archery shop owner/hunter safety instructor lives. In Sullivan County (only), the feeding section of the law was struck down. http://www.outdoornews.com/November-2012/Feeding-ban-appealed-struck-down-in-Sullivan/ I have read no where that it was legally re-instated or addressed in any way by the DEC. In the remainder of the state the law stands.

• Like 1