How many guys stick with the same ammo year

After year they buy Remington cor-loc's because

That's what dad always used . Or Winchester or

What ever.

And how many grab a box of the cheapest stuff

They can find.

Cuz. There gun shoots anything.

P.s. and how many roll there own.?

And how many guys need the latest Dangerous game/ critical duty/superformance match/ managed recoil/ accutip / SST / GMX spitfire HP.

Edited by 45/70

As far as centerfire rifle ammo goes, I have used very little factory ammo..

I have handloaded all of my rifle ammo since the 1970s... I shot 2 bucks with factory 7x57 ammo in the early 70s, and I shot one buck with a 25-06 factory load since then..

My .280 and my 9.3 x 62 have never had a factory load fired in them..I shot a box of factory loads through my 7mm08 when I first bought it for barrel break in, but have never hunted with it with factory loads.

My self I only buy ammo off the shelf to get new o nice fired brass. I shoot it up at targets.

Then I load my own . But I hunted with guys that have only used one brand , my old boss had to have Winchester slugs for his 20 ga. Or it just wouldn't kill anything.

Edited by 45/70

I shoot plane Jane factory ammo. Remington Core Lokts, Winchester power Points and most recently Hornady American White tail. They shoot  good out of my rifles, and kill deer deader than Disco ….sooo why not.

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

I make no pretense that my handloads are greatly superior to factory stuff...Handloading is a hobby in itself, which I enjoy, and I get a lot of satisfaction in assembling custom loads for my rifles with MY choice of components and killing stuff with them..

Could I buy factory loads that kill game just as well as my handloads ? Hell yes !!

• Like 1

When all I shot was factory, I'd buy a box of each brand in the weights I wanted or close weights (150/165's in .30, for ex) and see which the gun liked best.

Now that I am partial to a particular bullet manufacturer, I mostly reload my own.  I also load to the lower side of the permissible loads. My expected shooting is typically under 100 -150 yds, so I don't need all the flat trajectory, noise and shove of full power loads.

I will on occasion buy the Parzi (sp?) ammo to have some cheap ammo to shoot for fun.  The soft points also look like they would work very well if you want really low cost hunting ammo, say around $17 box/20.

if you reload great if not try a box of factory loaded.  if it shoots great in your gun go back to the same store and look at the lot numbers on the box and buy enough of the same to last you a while.  then store it right.  I think I've enough for my primary deer rifle to last me several years.

This is my first year hunting with a rifle. And this summer I have had a great time shooting all different brands of factory ammo through my Savage Axis in 7mm/08. Some of the best ones have been Remington core loc's in 120 and 140 gr., Hornady Whitetail 140gr. But I am going to hunt with the Federal Nosler BT in 140 gr. This round groups at 1 to 1.5 inches at 150 yards. I am hoping that if I do my part, this round will give me dead right there performance on deer. We will see!

On my old Ithaca Deerslayer 2, the best slug for that gun is the Remington copper sabots, 12g. two and three quarter inch. Nothing I ever tried in that gun came close to them, in accuracy or performance.

I ve been shooting Remington Core-Loctks since I brought my first 30/30, once sighted in they consistently hit what I am aiming at, being I am not out to being some kind of marksman I find no need to even consider any sort of "premium" ammo, for deer any bullet in the vital will get the job done. And as I see it the box of 20 Remingtons for under $20 a box is the best bullet on the market!

This is my first year hunting with a rifle. And this summer I have had a great time shooting all different brands of factory ammo through my Savage Axis in 7mm/08. Some of the best ones have been Remington core loc's in 120 and 140 gr., Hornady Whitetail 140gr. But I am going to hunt with the Federal Nosler BT in 140 gr. This round groups at 1 to 1.5 inches at 150 yards. I am hoping that if I do my part, this round will give me dead right there performance on deer. We will see!

On my old Ithaca Deerslayer 2, the best slug for that gun is the Remington copper sabots, 12g. two and three quarter inch. Nothing I ever tried in that gun came close to them, in accuracy or performance.

You can have faith in that bullet, Grampy...I used the 7mm 140 Nosler BT for years and killed lots of game with it, mostly in my .280, but also in my 7MM-08.. It never let me down and performed well on whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns and caribou.

I have recently switched to Barnes X bullets for all of my game loads, but it was not due to any shortcoming of the Nosler bullet..

• Like 1

Each new rifle purchase begins a search for an optimal load. Once the component selection is made and bullet production specs are developed, that is my "locked-in" formula for bullet building forever on that rifle.

However, like someone above mentioned each gun that I buy also involves a box or two of factory ammo just to give me time to buy components and also give me some instant gratification of shooting my new gun right out of the box.

• Like 1

I find what the gun in question shoots the best and stick with it. That said I try to stay with reasonable priced ammo as well. I have not got too many guns that do not shoot better on one kind of ammo than others.

Same here. Find what works and stick with it. I like to stock up so that I am always a couple seasons ahead too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cor loc stinks goes through a deer without expanding enough this year i sighted my 308 with the hornaday american whitetail ammo and it grouped great i will be using it opening day this year 

I sighted in a new 25-06 with the Hornady whitetail stuff a couple weeks ago. It flew beautiful. Just under an inch at 100yds and it was on sale for $19.99. Gotta love it.

depends on what the gun likes.. my mini 30 and no 1 in .270 prefer particular hand loads. my 44 carbine will shoot anything well. my Nagant likes 203 gr. silver bear and my jc Higgins 20 ga groups winchester the best. the only way to know is to shoot, shoot and shoot. this does 2 things, you find out what the gun likes and you get comfortable with the gun which is possibly the biggest key to success.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1