Thoughts on Winter 2010

letinmfly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend it was in the mid 30's at my place and it felt like heaven, haha. It was nice to see stuff melting but now its cold again toady. We have had barns collapsing around home the last week or so, the one we get our milk from made the news on yahoo...we are famous in Northumberland finally!

• 3 weeks later...

Calling for rain this weekend which means more flooding... deer herd had to suffer this winter lots of deep snow,ice layers hard to get to food, neighbor was having logging done, deer just stood waiting for the trees to fall to get at those tender tops. They would only move 50-60 ards away while the loggers were working as as soon as they would leave to take the logs out,the deer would rush to the tops only to repeat when the skidder came back.. I fully expect a drop in antler size this year based on similar years. Even though they made it through they won't have the nessary nutients is excess to start horn growth and will need to replenish their bodys first, doe might of lost a fawn or two as well....

I left over 10 acres of corn standing for the deer this year and the field is empty since middle of feb... still need to get thru march, deer look good but they must be nutritionally stressed,lot of ice snow pack to get thru and even our two little melt downs didn't help as it snow immediately following the melt,all but south facing slopes have a least a foot or more left. Even if deer don't starve they will be in such a stressed state antler growth and fawn reuitment will suffer.

I just came in after 2 hrs. of shoveling, we got hammered with @ 13" of sleet, ice & snow mix from 4 pm yesterday until 11am this morning. This crap is little shoveling oatmeal.................................it was in the 50's to previous two days so the lawn and driveway are like pudding underneath this crap. Now, it is 38 degs and everything is turning to muck.

Man I hate these late season storms.

FDXX75

I wish it were snow coming tonight and tomorrow....the 3" of rain the weather man is calling for, is a concerne for my basement,even though I have a pump...it still makes a mess. I have about 3" of snow here it will melt and add to the mix. This sucks.

WAY TO MUCH snow in the hills and mountains around here... with the anticipated amounts of rain coming there'll be more flooding than we've seen in a long time!

I really feel sorry for people in low-lying areas and those living in the Chemung/Susquhanna River basin area (all the way to the Chesapeake Bay).