Survey question

I had a piece of property surveyed. I found all 4 corner pins. Front boundary is on the road and back is a pretty straight line not that far. The side to the north is the longest distance and does not have any ribbon markers on it. Would it be ok if I ask the survey company to come back out and put markers on that side or just wait for the survey map and do it myself? Is this asking too much? This side needs to be posted.

Thanks,

FL

I would think that if you paid to have a property surveyed and they didn't mark it properly , they should return and do it properly . Just an opinion but I think they should flag it . 

The standard of "properly" marking surveyed property these days is simply pounding in stakes in the corners. When you want line-of-sight flagged definition over hills and across ravines and through the swamps and such, it will be done but will cost you extra. At least that was the experience that I had about a decade or two ago when I purchased an additional strip of land next door.

• Like 3

It's funny how you always have to pay more to get a job done properly. Why just the other day I stumped up 200 dollars at the vets, only to be told that it would cost me another 150+ for an x-ray to determine what the problem might be. That  was some expensive information right there. What the 200 was for, I am still at a loss.We left none the wiser.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

The standard of "properly" marking surveyed property these days is simply pounding in stakes in the corners. When you want line-of-sight flagged definition over hills and across ravines and through the swamps and such, it will be done but will cost you extra. At least that was the experience that I had about a decade or two ago when I purchased an additional strip of land next door.

This is what I have seen for the past 10 years.

The only way to really know is to go along with the surveyor and make it as you go. We used white exterior paint along with the ribbon on the trees as we went with the surveyor. We had an issue with loggers taking logs on our property so we wanted to be compensated for the logs they took.

This is what I have seen for the past 10 years.

The only way to really know is to go along with the surveyor and make it as you go. We used white exterior paint along with the ribbon on the trees as we went with the surveyor. We had an issue with loggers taking logs on our property so we wanted to be compensated for the logs they took.

With the modern equipment, coordinates and GPS the days of setting an instrument up on the actual property line is gone, unless you want to pay more. They traverse through the areas that offer the least resistance to set the corners.

Thanks all. Along the back was one ribbon in the middle of the back stakes. The side that borders me has 1 addition ribbon. The north side is not marked and actually comes down from the road at an angel. That is the side I will mark once I get the survey. All good info-thanks again.

FL

This is how to do it, found it out one year when putting up new posted signs.There was orange string on the ground on all of the property lines. ( how come ) there was a syrvey company going around for the county checking out something for the county. They would have a person put up a marker pole at a stake then a person with a bow at another stake , that person would shoot an arrow with a marker string attached twards the marker. Now they had a straight line from one stake to the other with the string pulled tight. Do not go by GPS readings , they have a % difference some are 10% , X that by 100' or 1000' and see how much you could be off.   

I bought some property years ago and the cost of a survey was cost prohibitive. Not to mention it was a brush lot bordered by other thickets. Luckily it was a basic rectangle and I knew where the 4X corner old, survey points were. My hand-held Garmin GPS has a mapping option, so I simply established a route (lines) around all 4 sides of my property connecting the established boundary markers, Then if you follow those boundary routes with the same GPS, you should be within a reasonable distance from the actual survey line. BTW - Even a cheapo hand-held GPS is guaranteed to be accurate & repeatable to within +/- 10'.

• Like 3

When surveying they mark your 4 cornes ..but also the intersecting corners of any adjacent property....always been that way ...unless you specifically request the sides to be marked.

We have had surveyors here when  logging took place adjoining us... Just to mark the lines corner to corner...it saved us in a few very large Maples from being cut...the loggers had come in a marked trees I knew to be on us...We they called and told them to have them unmarked and that the lines stakes were legal survey stakes...they stayed a good 10 -20 feet off our line after that....... Though it helps to be in the construction field when such things need to be done ;)

Ya don't try to use that if trees are cut or damage done to anothers property...I've spoken to a few surveyors and loggers...some say going corner to corner with a compass reading is more accurate than some of these phone GPS things guys are trying...Had a neighbor go out with his a few years ago and painted a white line 20ft over on our property...we had a talk......your lines come off those stakes at specific degrees...if you don't know what your marking off you can be way more than +-10ft off...just what I've been told.

Over the years I have purchased a number of surveys.  In my experience the standard practice has been pins at the corners.  If you want anything in addition, you have to pay for it.

I almost always paid a bit more and had the surveyor place a 6 ft tall 'T' post (1) next to each corner pin and (2) every 300 or so feet along each property line.  This was money well spent since it prevents the expensive corner pins from getting 'lost' after they are covered with grass/brush/leaves/etc.

Surveyors typically do not produce GPS coordinates for the corners.  Many surveyors have not even bought survey-grade GPS gear. It is rather spendy stuff.

The best accuracy you can typically get with any kind of consumer-grade GPS gizmo is 15 feet.  Keep in mind that a hand held GPS does not work by magic.  You need to know some stuff in order to get the best accuracy.

Finally, for anyone interested in using a cell phone GPS or dedicated GPS to locate existing survey stakes and approximate property lines, I have posted a number of tips at:

Cell phone:  http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/pdf-cell-phone-find-property-lines.pdf

GPS: http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/pdf_tips_for_using_a_gps.pdf

Joseph

• Like 2

As a person who has worked in various land surveying fields for 15 years doing property and construction surveying here is my input on this.  Hand held GPS units are usually only accurate to 10 Meters = 30 Feet and that is if the skyline and tree canopy is open. Sometimes they can be right on and are a good tool to use to find existing property lines/ corners if you have that info. Just because a property was surveyed does not mean it is in useable coordinate for the GPS. Most smaller survey companies don't use or even own a $30K GPS unit to do property surveys when it's not needed and use an assumed coordinate base such as N: 5000 E: 5000. Even survey grade GPS is not reliable and useable in a dense forest canopy or where the skyline is obstructed. Surveyors usually only put in corner stakes on a property and do not mark the lines for two reasons. One is most people don't need lines marked and two, most people want the survey done for as cheap as possible so the survey gives a price taking out any and all unnecessary work. Most surveyors will come out and mark lines for an additional fee. Hope this helps answer some things for you.

Edited by ADK Tank
  • Like 1

What you are looking for is a boundary survey and unless you request one they will not do it.  I had one done on my property and they did a great job. They actually used pins with the name of the survey company on them to mark the exact boundary AND they used flagging.   I was impressed.

But unless you ask them to do a boundary survey they will just mark the corners.

• 1 month later...

What a kick in the pants…..just got my closing costs and the 10.5 acre parcel to have surveyed cost $1050.00 bucks. It is a perfect rectangle bordered by a road on one side. I was thinking $500 or so. I have a call into the lawyer to see whats up. For that money it should be clearly marked with ribbon. Am I being crazy here or do you think the price is ok?

What a kick in the pants…..just got my closing costs and the 10.5 acre parcel to have surveyed cost $1050.00 bucks. It is a perfect rectangle bordered by a road on one side. I was thinking $500 or so. I have a call into the lawyer to see whats up. For that money it should be clearly marked with ribbon. Am I being crazy here or do you think the price is ok?

Ask Biz if that price is ok, he was recently quoted something a bit more

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1