Full term tick..

Al Bundy

Im petting my lab last night and feel a blob of something. I say oh no I know what that is. Sure enough I pulled this blob and it was a friggin HUGE tick. I think it was about done and ready to drop off as it came out easily and came out alive in one piece.  I put the tick cream on her faithfully and she has a shot for lyme.  Not sure what happened with the cream.  I hope she is OK.. Squishing this thing was pretty sick. The term "full as a tick" is so appropriate.  Watch out for these damn things..

You use the front line? If so when the ticks bite the dogs and get some blood they just die and fall off. I really hate ticks! But personally I wouldn't squish them I prefer to toss them in the toilet and flush em down where if they are still alive can live out their final moments in a septic tank full of Shite

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You wanna purchase a Seresto collar. I have a pure breed Border Collie that had numerous ticks on it this spring when the weather broke and was using that Frontline Plus. I must of picked off 3 ticks in 24 hrs. at one point. I purchased the Soresto collar and have only seen one that just fell off on its own. The collar lasts for about 8 months. It's the best thing I have ever used for fleas and ticks control,

Y the lima bean is about right.  I think frontline has worn off. Yesterday was actually the day we were supposed to re-apply. Hoping it was a fluke timing thing and this wont happen again. Poor dog. Did put on the new stuff last night.  I usually brush her with a tick comb thing but didn't this past weekend as we were not out in the woods. Just lawn area.

Y the lima bean is about right.  I think frontline has worn off. Yesterday was actually the day we were supposed to re-apply. Hoping it was a fluke timing thing and this wont happen again. Poor dog. Did put on the new stuff last night.  I usually brush her with a tick comb thing but didn't this past weekend as we were not out in the woods. Just lawn area.

Yup .. We were a little late with the frontline, a couple days past due. I told the dog it was my wife's fault...

• Like 2

Put the tick into rubbing alcohol, do NOT pinch a tick that is engorged on your dog it will discrete fluid into the animal. Best way to remove is with tweezers and plop into alcohol. My german short hair usually gets 2 or 3 a season but stay diligent with the frontline or advantix.

• Like 1

When I pulled it came out whole. I then dropped it in the sink, watched it squirm for a bit then squished it with my thumbnail. A bit disturbing. You are correct, fluid came out along with blood. I had to press real hard also. Those little f'ers are tough .

• Like 1

I walked into my stand thru high golden rod pulled my phone out to look at the time and there goes a tick across my screen. I let it crawl onto my fingernail where I tried to squash it but had no luck and just pulled it's head from the body. They are very hard to kill without soaking them with rubbing alcohol or heat.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, before I head into the woods for hikes with my dog I always spread this stuff on their coat.

from what I have read it breaks up their exoskeleton creating tiny cuts that cause them to die. also give my dogs a teaspoon in their food if I suspect worms. works the same way.

http://www.amazon.com/Rated-Food-Grade-Diatomaceous-Earth/dp/B00025H2PO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Tick's are all over this season pulled from my pets and from myself.I have learned that tick's breath from their backside since then any time I find one on my self I smear peanutbutter on it and it will back itself out

I used the Seresto collar a few years back, Didnt work in my pups case she contracted lyme disease, It was the first time i used that collar and she was loaded after a week of having it on, Ive used Scalibur ever since and havent found 1 tick, And it comes free when you buy Revolution flea meds the Revolution treats heart worm as well, 

Quick aside.  Its my understanding that the large dog ticks do not carry the lyme disease only the tiny deer ticks.

If your bloated tick was about 1/4-13/4 inch fat it was a non-carrying dog tick.  I may not be using the correct terms but the deer ticks that carry the lyme disease are about the size of a pin head and the much larger dog ticks (the kind we easily see on ourselves) are about 1/8 round both before bloating.

That being said, when I was a kid in southold, the man who lived in front of use died from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever he got from a dog tick on his big old basset hound.  So the bigger dog ticks are still carries of many diseases, some more severe than lyme.