Why?

G-Man

So sitting in one if my favorite stands and at 6pm I see a doe walking on the edge of a ridge/brushline. Not a minute behind he I see one of my top 5 buck I have on camera just following head up not sniffing the ground, so i try various calls and of course he's not leaving the doe, the just walk down the ridge away from me and dissappear from sight and hearing.

About 615 I see a doe walking the field edge toward me just walking and she comes to within 50 yards and cuts in the woods ,right behind her is the buck just walking along he get to 50 yards and turns broadside,I am debating the shot as I practice it I know exactly how far he is and he's not allarmed. As I am doing this the doe pops out in a lane 23 yards below me and continues to walk by the stand on the way to an apple orchard. Figuring the buck will.follow her same has he has for last 15 minutes I'll have am easy shot at 23 yards .. nope he turns 180 and walks into a set of 15 year old pines and dissapears... the doe continues to orchard and it's sun set so I get down take the long way around back to the house as not to disturb her or the buck..

Why couldn't he just follow the doe ,all I can think is he got sick of her teasing and went looking for an easier woman....lol

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 4

older bucks right now are going to start seeking out the first doe that are closest to come into estrous.  once they find one they can tag along and feed with her.  until then they're on a mission.  heads up because he's just scouting and not hunting for any specific doe.  that's my take.  on more than one occasion around this time of season I've had a hit list buck pop out into the open walk through a group of doe and then pop back into the woods.

seeking phase of the rut has begun I'd say.  in another week the doe will get tired of the attention and get chased around.  this week and next is the best time to hunt like heck for doe groups to find those first doe.

• Like 2

Why do the ONLY two deer in East Aurora wait until I get down from the stand before they show up?  

Everything was perfect today.....east wind, quiet setup, no potty breaks blah blah freaking blah.  I start to get fidgety and decide I'm running low on decaf so might as well pull out and get my work done at home........

Hit the ground, start clanking the stand parts together then look up and see the cutest little 1.5 year old doe standing 40 yards way, cocking her pretty little head left/right up/down trying to figure out who this lard azz is in her woods!!

I'm with you G-Man.............dang the luck.  :)

• Like 2

Why did I have a nice 8, at less than 20 yards Friday morning, that just wouldn't give me a shot. And WHY did the same buck walk out of the brush, the next day, and stand broadside 20 yards, in front of the neighbor, who killed him 10 minutes into the stand???   WHY?? Why did I sit for 5hrs this morning not seeing a single deer but see all kinds of new sign all around my stand when I walked out??? WHY??

Why don't I just spend my Falls/ Winters Bowling???    Why???

• Like 2

Why do we spend hard earned money on hunting gear?

Why do we get out of warm beds at 4am or earlier?

Why do we walk or drive in the dark to get to our spots?

Why do we sit for hours in all kinds of weather, and see no deer?

Why does our hearts skip a beat when a deer is spotted?

Why does our hearts pound and we breath hard at the sight of a big buck?

Why do we accept that sometimes it just doesn't work out?

Why are we so happy when it does?

Why are we happy to see young hunters, friends and family get a deer?

Why are we most at peace in the deer woods?

Why?

Because it's who we are as hunters and sportsmen.

• Like 3

This thread has utterly changed course.

It did and to mammary proportions.

Why do we spend hard earned money on hunting gear?

Why do we get out of warm beds at 4am or earlier?

Why do we walk or drive in the dark to get to our spots?

Why do we sit for hours in all kinds of weather, and see no deer?

Why does our hearts skip a beat when a deer is spotted?

Why does our hearts pound and we breath hard at the sight of a big buck?

Why do we accept that sometimes it just doesn't work out?

Why are we so happy when it does?

Why are we happy to see young hunters, friends and family get a deer?

Why are we most at peace in the deer woods?

Why?

Because it's who we are as hunters and sportsmen.

The answer to most of these questions is easy, because a dedicated hunter just ain't right. Not just deer either. We do all these things plus, sit in the woods when the temps are single digit, at time they have a - in front, just to do what we enjoy.

As for why deer show up at those inopportune times? That's easy. They heard us clumsily stumble through the woods with a light on our head like some kind of alien, smelling like last nights stew ( re-furbished ), and laugh. Then they watch as we get set up and cuss because we forgot something. Because they hear us even though we think we were quiet.Then they just lay down and watch us laughing. When we decide to move out they think "Teehee, that jack ass never saw me, now it's time to taunt!". Then they pop up and make us feel like idiots.

I would expect nothing less from a deer then to mock us when they can.

The tales of deer that busted us or taunted us are better then the tales of the actual kill. 

Why? It's what we do as hunters. All these odd things keep us going back, to our loved sport. That's why.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Why do our feet smell and our noses run? Steven Wright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a noise? ~ Unknown

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1