Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

I have been checked almost every year in NY & we only hunt there 1 week

I would also suggest playing by the rules in NH if anyone ever comes up here to hunt

F&G has a lot less area to cover & You may not see them but they do see you

I know a few of them & they can tell me where I have been hunting almost any given day

I have never been checked since 1994. In NY statistically speaking you have zero chance of being caught breaking a game law without being turned in. Fishing I get checked but we are a little more concentrated, the steelhead/salmon spots, ice fishing etc

• Like 2

I have been checked almost every year in NY & we only hunt there 1 week

I would also suggest playing by the rules in NH if anyone ever comes up here to hunt

F&G has a lot less area to cover & You may not see them but they do see you

I know a few of them & they can tell me where I have been hunting almost any given day

You must hunt public land.  I've hunted only private land in NY since the late 70's and could count on one hand the number of times a DEC officer asked me anything while going or leaving the woods.  I've seen them around a few other times, but they did not give me a second look, if they even gave me a first.  I have been stopped at check points on roads, but that is a totally different situation.  One would be pretty dumb to be transporting deer during hunting season if they didn't have tags, etc. in order.

I would never brag or boast about poaching a deer.  Why is it every time the shooting time comes up some idiot brings up the speeding law? 

Why would you consider society as brain washed because most follow the laws? Why is it so hard to believe that there are actually people who follow the law right to the minute. Most times i am at my vehicle early just because i count my walking time as hunting time. 

I hear ya Paula , but how many people would turn themselves in if they found out their watch was a couple minutes slow ?

You must hunt public land.  I've hunted only private land in NY since the late 70's and could count on one hand the number of times a DEC officer asked me anything while going or leaving the woods.  I've seen them around a few other times, but they did not give me a second look, if they even gave me a first.  I have been stopped at check points on roads, but that is a totally different situation.  One would be pretty dumb to be transporting deer during hunting season if they didn't have tags, etc. in order.

I have only been approached twice in all my hunting time and both were on state land. Never on private land.  Fishing is another story but like was already stated they have people more concentrated and can approach more fishermen at a time.

I have never been checked since 1994. In NY statistically speaking you have zero chance of being caught breaking a game law without being turned in. Fishing I get checked but we are a little more concentrated, the steelhead/salmon spots, ice fishing etc

I have close to 0 chance because I follow the law the best I can

I am not perfect by any means & never claimed or will claim to be. I am not reading a 10,000 page law book but I do read the E regs each year for any state I hunt & I follow them if I don't quite understand them I ask F&G or in NY DEC

As I stated earlier I value my privilege to hunt if that means leaving 5 minutes early I do

I have also taught my kids to do the same respect the law & enjoy the wild

• Like 2

NY for us is public land we hunt 6,000 acres

NH all land is public unless posted

I would never brag or boast about poaching a deer. Why is it every time the shooting time comes up some idiot brings up the speeding law?

Why would you consider society as brain washed because most follow the laws? Why is it so hard to believe that there are actually people who follow the law right to the minute. Most times i am at my vehicle early just because i count my walking time as hunting time.

Well put me squarely in the idiot collumn as I see speeding as a worse infraction than shooting a few minutes early. It kills people, and the higher fines for speeding ( and increased insurance rates) over shooting early reflect that .

If shooting before sunrise or after sunset is ok because other states allow it, then is baiting ok because other states allow it?

I don't see how anybody can say illegal baiting in NY is any worse than illegal shooting before/after legal hours.

There's 2 types of deer killed here in Ny that we are discussing; illegal shot ones and legal shot ones. Pretty easy to determine which is which.

Like I said before, getting away with an illegal shot deer is easy. Enjoying that picture or mount on your wall knowing you "bent" the rules is something you have to deal with it. I couldn't deal with it and be happy knowing I cheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who kill illegal deer before sunrise or after sunset here in NY, please answer my question from above. Is baiting ok to in NY? illegal is illegal right, what is the difference? Further, after sunset on the last day is out of season, so is out of season now ok too? Shooting a deer the afternoon before opening day is out of season, same as shooting one in July, or shooting one before sunrise on opening morning.

Do I personally agree with NY's law on the timing provisions? NO. I've hunted other states where it is 1/2 hr before/after. I think that is better.

Do I obey NY's law on the timing provisions? YES. Whatever I state I hunt, I follow that particular state's rules.

When I play golf, could I take a mulligan to help improve my score? Yes, but I would never do this. I would just be cheating myself out of a legitimate score, so what's the point?

Some guy can steer their conscience to make it OK in their minds to bend the rules in their favor. I know I could do it without getting caught, but I wouldn't be proud of the deer then knowing I bent rules to get it done.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

I have been approached one time on private and watched from road on another private land. I had to call cops once and and state trooper checked if i had hunting lic. 

It is a privilege to hunt, like OP said i would never ever want to loose it

Well put me squarely in the idiot collumn as I see speeding as a worse infraction than shooting a few minutes early. It kills people, and the higher fines for speeding ( and increased insurance rates) over shooting early reflect that .

But that does not mean because i say i follow the hunting laws that i speed, idiot

Larry. the correlation I see with speeding is more on the enforcement side and how far the participants will push the limits given a change. Speed limit when I started driving on the Thruway was 55. if you went 70 you got picked up but if you didn't go over 65 you were pretty safe. Now it is 65. They don't even blink if you are under 75. Is a ECO gonna write a ticket for 10 -20 minutes past shooting light? I think it would be rare. if they move it to 1/2 hour after you KNOW there will be those that still run the 10-20 minutes past the posted limit?

I hear ya Paula , but how many people would turn themselves in if they found out their watch was a couple minutes slow ?

I would definitely turn myself in...

Like the time, many years ago when I tore the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag from a mattress...

I felt so cheap and dirty !! Guilt overwhelmed me and Iwent to the police station to turn myself in...

I can still hear the words of Officer Ferndip...

" What you been SMOKIN", Boy ??...

I learned my lesson and have never broken a law since..

• Like 2

Like the time, many years ago when I tore the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag from a mattress...

I felt so cheap and dirty !! Guilt overwhelmed me and Iwent to the police station to turn myself in...

I can always count on you for a chuckle !

That's deep. You are certainly the oldest stoner I know.

Ahhhh Skillet...it warms my heart to see you laugh now...all the while knowing that....  in hoping you live a very long life...my words will pop back into your brain at some point...about the time your done "chewing on" one of your own past regrets....I sit here with a satisfied grin on my face, Thank You ;)

I once made a copy of a key that was clearly marked "DO NOT COPY" . I turned myself in and lost my key privileges  for a year. I had to walk everywhere and had to leave my house unlocked for the whole year … But I was guilt free.

• Like 2

I cant believe they let you out of prison already you monster

Ahhhh Skillet...it warms my heart to see you laugh now...all the while knowing that.... in hoping you live a very long life...my words will pop back into your brain at some point...about the time your done "chewing on" one of your own past regrets....I sit here with a satisfied grin on my face, Thank You ;)

LoL. You've got no idea what things from someone's past might have been eating at them. I'm not condoning breaking game laws, but shooting a deer 5 minutes late wouldn't be something I focused on and lamented in my later years. Personal reflection isn't a matter of age, sorry. Regretting poor choices isn't just for our elders either, it's a matter of having an inner moral compass, I'm sorry if yours took until later in life to develop.

I go to my treestand happy, & at peace with my past, wearing that same grin.

• Like 2

I just know this whole thing is just like the speed limit law no matter how many try to avoid the comparison. Given what I have heard in this thread let me ask this. We get the law changed. SS is 5:00 pm. we can now hunt until 5:30. "the buck of a lifetime" strolls by at 5;35.????  how far is too far without a defined line.

5:35 and mother nature says you cant shoot most nights. Pretty fine line there Culv...

• Like 1