Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

I'm not going to say that I agree with the OP, But I do have a question or two.  For all the individuals that say the law is the law and that's it, why can't we as tax payers question the laws?  Why is it okay to hunt half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset in Ohio, but illegal across an arbitrary line in western NY?  Why in NY can you hunt waterfowl a half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset, but not deer?  I understand safety, but is it really more or less safe one way or the other?  I don't know the statistics, but are there more accidents in states that allow the half an hour before and after sunrise/sunset?  I really think that it is our duty to question our officials regularly.  I'm not saying to take matters into your own hands and make the rules as you go but what are the steps to change the rules?  Do hunters really have input into regulations?  I've hunted for 25 years and never once been asked for my input on regulations, have you?  Just some thoughts...

You are able at any point to lobby for legislative changes. If you believe it is wrong there is  a process.

• Like 1

How many of you padlock your bowstring and cables together while traveling between your hunting spot and your home? Because that's a law too, isn't it? Unless it's in a locked case. I'm sure no one just puts it on the seat of their pickup, on a gun rack, or in the back seat of their car.

That is not the law. If you believe otherwise, please show us. More and more you prove you lack of general hunting regulations with every post. Have you ever thought of trying knitting?

• Like 2

I'm not disagreeing that the law is the law.  As one other person on here said, the sunrise/sunset times change based on where you are in the state.  Do each and every one of you (even the bunch on here that I'm sure still have old flip cell phones) look up the true sunrise/sunset times based on your GPS location as I do?  You all keep saying how you pull your arrow at the stroke of sunset, are you 100% sure without a doubt you are using the right time?  Also for any of you that have gotten out of your area code and hunted other places with the half hour before/after rule pulled your arrow at sunset, you know cause it's the safe thing to do or did you use that extra half hour cause big brother said you can?  Again, I know you need to follow the laws for where you hunt (I hear, I can read (and even comprehend), I'm probably as smart or smarter than most of you (and have the paperwork to back that up).  I'm not the OP, I'm not sitting here professing (bragging) that I'm breaking the law, I just think it's pretty funny how there is such a large group of people out there that blindly follow like a flock of sheep.  I'm now done with this thread and probably with this board, as I can not waste my time with people that refuse to think for themselves but would rather mindlessly quote sections of a manual of what makes you an acceptable hunter without even trying to understand what those statements mean, question why they are there, or how they came to be.

• Like 3

No surprise that this thread went wild so quickly!

I do hear what many of you say.  We should strive to play by the rules, and it surely isn't a good thing to boast about bending or breaking the rules so openly.  But, I have also been around this game long enough to know that many who claim that they absolutely NEVER break the rules are probably also full of $#!+ and full of themselves.  To be perfectly honest, the chances of getting caught for bending the rules in hunting are very small to virtually nil.  Most especially if you hunt private land.  Those who claim that they unload their guns the exact second of legal sundown, each and every time they go hunting can try to tell me another story if they so desire, because I won't believe them on the first one.  It's easy to proclaim yourselves to be so perfect as hunters since generally there is NO one around to prove it one way or another.   But like I said, I've been around this game long enough to know what typically happens.  Whether you guys want to admit it or not is a different story of course.

• Like 1

Here is another from the book on being in the field before or after sun rise:

Q: Can I use a light to see my way through the woods when I go hunting?
A: Yes. You may use a small flashlight to safely travel to or from your hunting location as long as you are not using the light to locate or hunt any big game.

I'm not disagreeing that the law is the law.  As one other person on here said, the sunrise/sunset times change based on where you are in the state.  Do each and every one of you (even the bunch on here that I'm sure still have old flip cell phones) look up the true sunrise/sunset times based on your GPS location as I do?  You all keep saying how you pull your arrow at the stroke of sunset, are you 100% sure without a doubt you are using the right time?  Also for any of you that have gotten out of your area code and hunted other places with the half hour before/after rule pulled your arrow at sunset, you know cause it's the safe thing to do or did you use that extra half hour cause big brother said you can?  Again, I know you need to follow the laws for where you hunt (I hear, I can read (and even comprehend), I'm probably as smart or smarter than most of you (and have the paperwork to back that up).  I'm not the OP, I'm not sitting here professing (bragging) that I'm breaking the law, I just think it's pretty funny how there is such a large group of people out there that blindly follow like a flock of sheep.  I'm now done with this thread and probably with this board, as I can not waste my time with people that refuse to think for themselves but would rather mindlessly quote sections of a manual of what makes you an acceptable hunter without even trying to understand what those statements mean, question why they are there, or how they came to be.

You are probably better off elsewhere. You keep preaching that no one checks with you about the laws but have yet to even hint that you are willing to take steps to push for change. Well keep an eye out because there is poaching law changes coming and the trivial fines for poaching are headed up.

No surprise that this thread went wild so quickly!

I do hear what many of you say. We should strive to play by the rules, and it surely isn't a good thing to boast about bending or breaking the rules so openly. But, I have also been around this game long enough to know that many who claim that they absolutely NEVER break the rules are probably also full of $#!+ and full of themselves. To be perfectly honest, the chances of getting caught for bending the rules in hunting are very small to virtually nil. Most especially if you hunt private land. Those who claim that they unload their guns the exact second of legal sundown, each and every time they go hunting can try to tell me another story if they so desire, because I won't believe them on the first one. It's easy to proclaim yourselves to be so perfect as hunters since generally there is NO one around to prove it one way or another. But like I said, I've been around this game long enough to know what typically happens. Whether you guys want to admit it or not is a different story of course.

Thank you. Finally, my point exactly.

Also, while many of you consider it bragging or boasting, I just consider it being honest. I'd rather be honest about what I do, right or wrong, than be a coward and lie to myself and others and try to convince my peers that I follow each and every law to the tee, no matter how much I agree or disagree with it.

Some of you are so indoctrinated and brain washed it is sad. Public education has done a great job of creating the perfect obedient citizens. This whole “the law is the law” is a complete joke. You really need to start using your conscious to make your decisions. Going by the “law is the law” philosophy, depending on where or when you were born, would have you supporting owning slaves, segregation, beating wife with stick as long as stick was thinner then thumb, turned in Jews, turned in neighbors who tied to help escaped slaves/Jews, etc. etc. etc.. And for you that think most laws exist for anything more than revenue generation and control you’re delusional. There are so many laws on the books you could never follow all of them. And sorry to all you perfect law followers but the average person now commits 3 felony’s a day. Those that say, “if you don’t like a law, then change it” are full of it too. Have you ever actually seen or tried to have a law removed (even when unconstitutional, i.e. UNSafe and numerous others). It is nearly impossible and the time and money needed for legal b.s would have you head spinning.  If being a drone a blindly following laws is fine for you so be it but im governed by a much higher personal moral code then just “laws”.

http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/Youtoo/tabid/86/Default.aspx

• Like 2

We should push for the change. They claim they want all these does killed, let us hunt them when they're on their feet the most. Rack Attack I'm not doubting that you're smarter than all of us, but I'd still be interested in seeing that paperwork

I just know this whole thing is just like the speed limit law no matter how many try to avoid the comparison. Given what I have heard in this thread let me ask this. We get the law changed. SS is 5:00 pm. we can now hunt until 5:30. "the buck of a lifetime" strolls by at 5;35.????  how far is too far without a defined line.

• Like 2

NH has the 1/2 to 1/2 rule given the buffer I will say I 99% of the time I start at sunrise & stop at sunset unless in a field

it is not easy to line up pins & deer past 20 yards

gun season in NH I will use the 1/2 to 1/2 as my scope collects a lot of light but my gun is still emptied a couple minutes after start & before end

• Like 2

I've said it before , people that hunt to the exact minute are a bit like Bigfoot , Mountain Lions and unicorns, I've read about them but in 40 years of hunting and knowing untold numbers of hunters and hunting with perhaps over 100 different ones , I've never seen one in the woods.

I'd like to see how many here are in complete compliance with the SAFE act ...., personally I do not know one who got rid of magazines over ten rounds or registered their rifles and the states numbers back the low numbers of comliance . I guess though the few that did obey are all members here .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 4

Actually...we have several accuweather radar stations around us...I pick the closest station  the moment I shut my phone alarm off in bed...I hit the Kindle...look up the station weather for my area...my zip code..... and then punch in the sun rise and sun set in my cell phones alarm...I then put the ringer on vibrate...and carry it in my pocket...Nothing gets shot before in the morning or after at night...Also Because I am forgetful and mostly hunt during the week ...I have the school bus schedual memorized and if the phone is forgotten ,...nothing is shot  before I see or hear that first bus at 7:10am.....I do not mount racks and have some good ones...I have plenty of time to hunt and I want to look at any animal I have killed and not have any twinge of guilt or "wish he'd come in a bit later or earlier " in my mind...

Before you ask...I have passed many huge buck under my stand  and many on the neighors land over the years that were give me shots...ones I never saw again...but that is the game. I don't cheat in board or card games either for wheres the satisfaction in that?...it's like cheating in solitaire...The only one your cheating is your self...no point to it..

BTW..I'll give you younger people a tip....

Your mind is a wonderful thing and it actually does store EVERY thing...So know this and maybe some other older ppl could back me up on this....When you age and there are those quiet times ..like sitting in a tree stand with nothing to do...questionable things you may have done in your youth/past...they will evenually seep back to the forefront of your memory....Just enough for you to "chew on them a bit"....Not having too many of those as you age is a very good thing...you may not remember what you did yesterday...but sooner or later things you did when you were.... say ten and on will show up

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I've said it before , people that hunt to the exact minute are a bit like Bigfoot , Mountain Lions and unicorns, I've read about them but in 40 years of hunting and knowing untold numbers of hunters and hunting with perhaps over 100 different ones , I've never seen one in the woods.

LOL, really great way to put it!  I feel the same as you.  I've been at this game since the late 70's and I'm still looking for this mythical critter!  Of course, someone will surely tell me that I must only hang around misfits, poachers, bandits, and other assorted low-life, so we'll probably never get our point across here.

• Like 1

To be perfectly honest, the chances of getting caught for bending the rules in hunting are very small to virtually nil.  Most especially if you hunt private land.

I have been checked almost every year in NY & we only hunt there 1 week

I would also suggest playing by the rules in NH if anyone ever comes up here to hunt

F&G has a lot less area to cover & You may not see them but they do see you

I know a few of them & they can tell me where I have been hunting almost any given day

I agree that it's a good idea that you leave, since you are obviously intellectually superior to the rest of us poor shmucks on this forum... It truly would be an injustice if you were to waste any more of your time with the likes of us...

• Like 5

I just know this whole thing is just like the speed limit law no matter how many try to avoid the comparison. Given what I have heard in this thread let me ask this. We get the law changed. SS is 5:00 pm. we can now hunt until 5:30. "the buck of a lifetime" strolls by at 5;35.????  how far is too far without a defined line.

Half hour before/after, same as waterfowl

I would never brag or boast about poaching a deer.  Why is it every time the shooting time comes up some idiot brings up the speeding law? 

Why would you consider society as brain washed because most follow the laws? Why is it so hard to believe that there are actually people who follow the law right to the minute. Most times i am at my vehicle early just because i count my walking time as hunting time. 

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

Actually...we have several accuweather radar stations around us...I pick the closest station the moment I shut my phone alarm off in bed...I hit the Kindle...look up the station weather for my area...my zip code..... and then punch in the sun rise and sun set in my cell phones alarm...I then put the ringer on vibrate...and carry it in my pocket...Nothing gets shot before in the morning or after at night...Also Because I am forgetful and mostly hunt during the week ...I have the school bus schedual memorized and if the phone is forgotten ,...nothing is shot before I see or hear that first bus at 7:10am.....I do not mount racks and have some good ones...I have plenty of time to hunt and I want to look at any animal I have killed and not have any twinge of guilt or "wish he'd come in a bit later or earlier " in my mind...

Before you ask...I have passed many huge buck under my stand and many on the neighors land over the years that were give me shots...ones I never saw again...but that is the game. I don't cheat in board or card games either for wheres the satisfaction in that?...it's like cheating in solitaire...The only one your cheating is your self...no point to it..

BTW..I'll give you younger people a tip....

Your mind is a wonderful thing and it actually does store EVERY thing...So know this and maybe some other older ppl could back me up on this....When you age and there are those quiet times ..like sitting in a tree stand with nothing to do...questionable things you may have done in your youth/past...they will evenually seep back to the forefront of your memory....Just enough for you to "chew on them a bit"....Not having too many of those as you age is a very good thing...you may not remember what you did yesterday...but sooner or later things you did when you were.... say ten and on will show up

That's deep. You are certainly the oldest stoner I know.