Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

It is interesting that some find it laughable that some of us look up sunrise and sunset times.

Also interesting, is that they will actually call you out on it. They can not, in thier mind, get the fact that we follow the game laws. "They" think everyone "bends" them,

I own my own land in a remote area. I could shoot a deer at midnight. nobody would ever know.

I pack it up 15 minutes before, in case I jump someting on my way back to camp.

• Like 4

Funny thing I've noticed in my area that i hunt the so called hunters i have seen hunting in the morning are usually gone by the time i get back at noon to my truck to eat lunch (Packed in cooler) and never see them the rest of the season again, now i usually hunt as much as i can and hunt dusk to dawn cause i don't waste time to tag deer for the freezer i try to get as much out of the season i can. Sorry for the long post but i'm just trying to get the point out that i paid for tags to not just get thrown out after season has ended and if that means that i hunt 20 min before sunrise or sunset makes me a criminal then so be it.

Desperation can be a very pathetic thing.

I love how there are those that speak of ethics and respect for the animal, yet have no problem taking a deer after hours. The pathetic desperation for a deer must be overpowering...  the lack of ability to kill a deer during legal shooting hours... what a tug of war that must be in their mind.

• Like 5

you're the one who trips on roots and falls down when you step on a grouse. I think most of us able bodied fit individuals do just fine walking through the woods with a headlamp in the dark.

Now I was going to let that snide remark pass...but nah

First lets clear one thing up..WTH does your statement have to do with what I actually said, way back there on page 4?:

I truly hope that all those thinking this whole thing is OK...remembers this when their..... hhmmm. how do you guys put it?...Oh "butt hole puckers"  when those ..I can barely see my path, day light is upon you.. Then those first 45 min before light gun shots go off...

Now this isn't a complaint nor any type of bragging...That said.... I'm a 58 yr old woman ...to what your 30 something? and with..... mind you...two bad knees( one still with a torn ACL) two bad ankles arthitis in both knees both hands and lower back...Hunting in the steep hills of NYS finger lakes...I wouldn't hesitate to go toe to toe with you any hunting season and see what the out come is....Now if you want to make vail attempts to insult me,using my own words Belo ....Please at least put them in the proper context first.

Edited by growalot

But, if I'm not mistaken, you cannot pull the trigger (not allowed to use any mechanical devices) and you can't gut it either (not allowed to cut, rip, or tear anything). Buncha wierdos.

Parting the Red Sea could be considered sort of like cutting, couldn't it?  Hopefully Moses did it before legal sunset.  I wonder if the DEC published the charts back then?

Edited by steve863

So then.. because I can still see a turkey in the daylight at 3 pm in May.. I should be able to kill it.. even thought the law says hunting ends at 12 pm. It isn't about whether you agree with the law or not... it is about doing the right thing and following the law. Anything else is you trying to justify doing what you know to be wrong... whether you own it or not.

That's not a caparison, would you have shot that turkey at 12:09 on your walk back or perhaps just as you were packing your bag? That's like saying I saw a monster at 8pm in my yard and as the motion light came on I shot him 3 hours after legal shooting time. Not the same, lets compare apples to apples.

That's not a caparison, would you have shot that turkey at 12:09 on your walk back or perhaps just as you were packing your bag? That's like saying I saw a monster at 8pm in my yard and as the motion light came on I shot him 3 hours after legal shooting time. Not the same, lets compare apples to apples.

12:09 is still after hours so it is apples to apples

I love how there are those that speak of ethics and respect for the animal, yet have no problem taking a deer after hours. The pathetic desperation for a deer must be overpowering...  the lack of ability to kill a deer during legal shooting hours... what a tug of war that must be in their mind.

ethics and what's legal is not ALWAYS the same thing.

For example, I don't believe it's unethical to smoke weed. I don't find it unethical to speed if you're rushing your pregnant wife to the hospital. If the law says I can only carry 7 rounds in my pistol, carrying 8 doesn't make me feel like a sleazeball.

Point being, spotlighting and hunting in THE DARK would be unethical practices. Letting a deer suffer after sunset instead of putting it down seems unethical to me. Taking a deer 3 minutes after sunset doesn't make you a monster in my eyes.

• Like 4

How about this for a scenario, my watch battery is going bad and is off by 15 minutes as I thought I was in legal shooting times. Does that make it legal? I am sure all of you watch wearers sync your watch every day before you go in the woods to make sure at the strike of sunset you un-nock that arrow or unload that last shell/cartridge. Or on that note load your gun once in the stand and only at the stroke of sunrise.

Give me a freaking break you guys are nitpicking this. Hunt how you hunt and the other guy will hunt how he hunts legal or not.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Without wading into the substance of this thread, what I think is most interesting here is how many people tie ethics to the law. What I mean is how many people consider it unethical just to break a written law without any regard for the nature of the illegal behavior itself.

• Like 1

I think doing the ethical thing is doing the "right thing".........regardless of what law is being bent, unless you're bending it for good, in your mind anyway, how can you say you did the "right thing"? if you kill a deer 5 minutes after legal hours to end its suffering, you broke the law, but arguably did the ethical thing. If you kill a deer 5 minutes after legal hours because you needed to kill it so badly you couldn't resist, well that's not legal or ethical........

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

I want to say Thank You to the guys willing to stand against ,unfortunately, the majority in saying breaking the law is not wrong. Regardless of how one tries to rationalize ,compare to,trivialize or justify those actions.

There are young or new hunters that read these type of posts and it just makes me sick knowing what they may be taking away from them...Complain about the poachers, baiters trespassers,brown down  all you want...but it is this and the people that train the new hunters that cause the problems...for if one broken law is OK by a little.... how many others in their minds will be as well?.....

Do Not whine about what you have helped to create...do not look down your noses at anti's and posters when you have helped to create the images going through their minds....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4