Dickhead neighbor

Al Bundy

Or how about this (neighbor) could be more neighborly and work with is neighbor! But that's not the American way anymore! So let's all post our property and be unneighborly and not get along with anyone cause it's mine! All mine! That's the way America is suppose to be!!! Oh and don't use the (D) word u get Introuble! Just incase u guys didn't know.

You are the neighbor I don't want - the one who thinks my property should be his.

And if he doesn't like me because our views are different, is willing to break the law, trespass to deface (spread scent) - cowardly actions of an entitled punk.

• Like 3

Well mr steveb I'm just as glad ur not my neighbor! I actually get along well with all my neighbors! I help them with food plots and just about anything else I can. And they also help me with what they can. We hunt each other's property when the other is not there. Also keep an eye out for people who don't belong! I mean it's my neighbor. I have to deal with him! And it makes it a better place when we get along! I'm sorry ur not very neighborly! Maybe ur neighbor is a pretty good person! Guess u will never know! Oh and btw there not ur deer! They will prob head to ur neighbors one time or another! Oh ur prob the guy who puts up the deer fence.

Or how about this (neighbor) could be more neighborly and work with is neighbor! But that's not the American way anymore! So let's all post our property and be unneighborly and not get along with anyone cause it's mine! All mine! That's the way America is suppose to be!!! Oh and don't use the (D) word u get Introuble! Just incase u guys didn't know.

whining because you were cursing in a thread and got a PM about it? Read the rules and adhere or dont log onto the site. Pretty simple.

Posting his land is obviously not  a big deal. Draping survey tape across a major trail in an attempt to keep deer off my land is a dickhead move. Period. Plain and simple.  Is it his right? Sure. Is it a dickhead move? Y in my opinion. Everyone here bitching about do what you want on your land? Sure.. I agree. Why did he do this? He does not want me hunting on my land.  He does not want me to enjoy the land I have using it the way I want.

Its funny comment about jealousy and entitlement. Ahhhh not even close.  Nobody has ever set foot on his land and nobody has desire. Thats what makes the posted signs laughable.  I am content to stay on my place and mind my own business. Does not seem this clown shares that ideal.

What would coyote urine poured on the trail daily do. Or gut piles on the trail or who knows what else. Why do I care he put this up? Shows what kind of person he is and he is likely doing other things that I cannot see.

I have to let it go as that alone is not a big deal. Just a dickhead move..

People can and are dick heads. I'm an older hunter and I have seen the following: 

1. Person shot in the air near a person that retrieved a deer that was literally dead on a fence. That's right, the guy rode over on a 4 wheeler and argued that the person who took the deer was trespassing. When the guy would not give him the deer he touched off a round and actually called the DEC. The shooter was eventually charged with reckless endangerment. 

2. Had a guy who hunted a piece of property next to us that implied it was his. It wasn't. We had permission to get a wounded deer off the property but he never took off this clowns posted signs.  You know it, deer wounded, we retrieve, he calls police who ticket the guys. DA drops charges and charges him with filing a false statement.

3. We bought 75 acres next to the property we hunted and one of the neighbors saw his own hunting acreage drop from 82 to 7!  He never allowed us on the property except retrieval, we told him he was welcome to the same after we bought it.

He had a great small piece of property, it was all oaks and great cover. However, we now owned the other 35 acres of those woods. This guy posted the hell out of the line, painted every tree white and hung tape. It was distracting as all hell but hey, so what?  He repeatedly asked me to move a stand that was 40 yards off his line, directly in front of me. To my right side was his line about 20 yards away. I assured him I would not shoot a deer off his property and I did not. In fact in the 20 years we hunted there, and 40 deer killed out of that stand only 2-3 went over there.

After 4-5 years he built a stand directly on the line and in front of my stand. I'll be honest, it sucked to have him trash the woods late and see somebody that close but, hey, it's his land. When asked about it, by him, I told him it was dangerous and he assured me that unless i was shooting on his land it was safe, to go ahead and shoot. One morning a beautiful 11 point came sneaking through, on our land. When he was broadside at 20 yards, with his stand just off to my left, I shot that thing. The deer died on the line.

Morale of that story?? We put up with each other. he thought I was an asshole, I thought he was.  he told neighbors fibs about how I shot towards him, i was dangerous, etc. 

4. Currently lease about 60 acres near Truxton. neighbor to north is a sheriff deputy and the entire area loathes this guy. He's the guy that turns in neighbors for zoning, building permits and even turned a guy into unemployment for selling firewood. He called the company I lease from and told them they needed to cancel it because we were damaging trees and putting stands in places he did not like. (why is it OK for him to hunt the line and not me? After 5 years of being there the deer stay on that line). Lease company actually looked at land, with me and said the guy has ALWAYS been a problem. I was pissed they never even told me about it. 

My real problem came when he decided to make confidential reports to the DEC every time we shot. I mean we'd come out of the woods to gun, tag, licenses, vehicle checks and after the DEC showed up to my buddies shop with 3 troopers saying that there were reports that we had multiple untagged deer. It was a shit show, we had one deer, skinned and hanging, tag was off it, and a ticket issued. It was dismissed. 

We turned the deputy in, right there saying to go to the northeast corner at 4:10 and listed to his feeder. Deputy now on probation with department and left us alone, this year. Every hunter I take is 100% legit, no crap.... 

There, I'm done... :lol 

• Like 1

Some tape across a trail is not going to stop deer from crossing some imaginary line.

I block trails with trees and cut openings in old fences to move them over a bit to where I can shoot them ( this on my land). If you block a trail they just move over a bit and still go in that direction .

Since deer travel in more than just one direction won't that tape then keep them on your land and not going onto his ?

My posted managed land has a farm along one boarder that got rid of every tree and brush pile, it looks like a giant open golf course. Two of the workers line up in a ditch and shoot deer as they step out of my 15 acre sanctuary onto their wide open field , we pass young bucks they don't . Last night one kid dropped a deer at last light, I went over congraduated him . I just don't see getting worked up over what the next guy does.

• Like 1

You are complaining about the tape being placed in the trees to keep the deer on his side of the line. What about the deer that were traveling from your land onto his? Or maybe that is ok? I know that I have only been hunting for over 40 years, but don't deer travel both ways on paths.

Edited by catskillkid

so, I assume you're not on speaking terms with him and are unable to find out what's behind his reasoning? there's usually a story behind most people not getting along with a neighbor....sometimes it really is just a matter of one being nuts, but usually there is some type of history.

I am actually sitting in the concrete jungle this morning thinking I will bring a bottle of home made wine and knock on his door and ask to have a sit down.  It may not be worth it though as despite what apparently is coming off here, I am not REAL worked up. 

The way the deer run my area is essentially a loop. Come off his land wander across mine, up, turn and walk across another landowners or two, then come down on the other side of his land.  So no, deer don't always go in both directions at least on my place they dont.  

Any rate, only three days of work again this week then off to the woods. Good luck out there.

• Like 2

I am actually sitting in the concrete jungle this morning thinking I will bring a bottle of home made wine and knock on his door and ask to have a sit down.  It may not be worth it though as despite what apparently is coming off here, I am not REAL worked up. 

The way the deer run my area is essentially a loop. Come off his land wander across mine, up, turn and walk across another landowners or two, then come down on the other side of his land.  So no, deer don't always go in both directions at least on my place they dont.  

Any rate, only three days of work again this week then off to the woods. Good luck out there.

have you ever spoken to him about anything, just in general? 

Glad to see you try to talk it out . In reality don't we all try to keep deer on our land ? Be it food plots, providing cover and bedding ares , sanctuarys we don't ever enter , we don't allow driving or really any walking other than to and from stands in an effort to keep them as less pressured as possible .

If I had to guess I'd say he did that to the trail to keep people out, people enter on trails and breaks in hedgerows , that's where I double or triple up posted signs, as it takes away the I did not see any signs excuse .

I have one spot turkey hunters were crossing I placed two signs about ten foot part where the gap in the hedgerow is and a third in the center but across onto our side 20 feet or so.

I was thinking of taking home some yellow " crime scene" tape to string across the gap as it's hard to say you didn't know when you have to break tape to cross. That's why I think he may have done it for people .