Staying Warm

WingNut

How do you guys and gals even move with so much on?

With a bow, I have to really watch just how bundled up I get. Too much bulk, and my groups either move significantly or don't group at all. With  gun, I can get away with a comical amount of layers, but the bow is awful damned unforgiving.

Technology :)   Thirty years ago if I was to wear my four layers it would be six inches thick in all directions, heavy layers of wool and other natural fibers.

Now I'm wearing skin tight space age plastic-fantastic layers made by robots.   It's like a third of the thickness and the weight at double the heat retention.

• Like 1

UA base layer then either wool sweater or fleece zip up.  walk in with berber fleece windshear vest , jacket and bibs.  on the bottom, fleece base layer and maybe a light layer if im going to use the bibs or insulated pants. thick wool socks and Rocky 800's . and cabelas extreme hand muff warmer with a pack of grabbers inside for  the morning sits. Never any cotton once Nov 1 is here

Technology my friend. Soon we will be able to stay home and just watch our trail cameras from our computers or smartphones. When I deer walks by we will line up the sights on the screen and press a button. Bang! Dead deer. Then go to the deer pickup app and within an hour you will be delivered all the venison cut and packaged along with the antlers cleaned up nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear bass pro shops, tight base layer, then UA cold gear layer over the top of that. then a looser cold gear layer, next UA cold gear hoody or nice heavy fleece, then my scent blocker outfitter series jacket and pants. Just try not to sweat walking in, tho it doesnt take much to break into a sweat. same lineup for the legs. This keeps me out for longer times

It may sound silly, but being physically fit plays a huge role in staying warm, as does diet, and simply being acclimated to the temps. I'm gradually becoming old and just a bit fat and I have a much harder time staying warm than when I used to do hard physical labor outside every day of the year. :rolleyes:

Clothing will keep the heat in, but if you're not physically fit and eating reasonably well your body won't produce the 'right' kind of heat for the clothes to keep in.

• Like 1

Who has some tricks to staying warm?  No interested in the typical stuff, Layers, Hard and Toe Warmers, Trying not to Sweat.....

Who has unusual but useful ways of staying warm at the 5+ hour mark.  When it's 25-30 deg or colder I'm having a hard time making it past 3-4 hours.  My routine is dressing as lite as possible until heading into the woods.  I even wear sneakers and change my socks until I'm ready to head into the woods.  

Thermocell heated insoles. I tried them for the first time this year (got them for xmas last year). I won't go on long sits without them they are the cat's meow.

Nobody has ever accused me of being bright. Last year I was going for a dark to dark in single digit temps. I duct taped about a dozen hand warmers to my back , stomach and chest. All was fine and made it the day without getting cold. It went south when removing them. Shouldn't have used gorilla duct tape. It hurt so dang bad pulling the tape off ! I highly suggest NEVER doing this.

• Like 4

Nobody has ever accused me of being bright. Last year I was going for a dark to dark in single digit temps. I duct taped about a dozen hand warmers to my back , stomach and chest. All was fine and made it the day without getting cold. It went south when removing them. Shouldn't have used gorilla duct tape. It hurt so dang bad pulling the tape off ! I highly suggest NEVER doing this.

LMAO!!!

For sitting:

I've been able to keep my core and legs warm with synthetic wicking long underwear.  Over that pant layer, I wear a bottom of primaloft insulated long underwear.  I wear a merino wool sweater over the top base layer on days below 30 degrees, and then a primaloft top (just the primaloft top on days between 30 and 40 degrees).  The outer-shell is made of fleece-lined windstopper material.  I totally a agree with the above comment on the wind.  Block the wind, retain the heat.  I've also found that a thermal seat cushion helps retain heat in my core.

I have a problem keeping my hands and feet warm, however.  Last evening I was compelled to purchase a pair of Irish Setter Elk Stalkers with 1,000 grams of Thinsulate.  It's a bit of a bank-breaking investment for me, but I'm spooking game with all my movement just trying to stay warm, and the boots have very positive reviews.  I hope they work. 

At the moment, I have to take my gloves off on occassion, and use handwarmers.  I haven't found a pair of gloves that keeps my hands warm.

---

I haven't had any issues staying warm while still hunting, and often dress with fewer layers.

Technology my friend. Soon we will be able to stay home and just watch our trail cameras from our computers or smartphones. When I deer walks by we will line up the sights on the screen and press a button. Bang! Dead deer. Then go to the deer pickup app and within an hour you will be delivered all the venison cut and packaged along with the antlers cleaned up nice.

Yup! been tried on the internet and already made illegal .... lol. But believe me, if it was legal, I believe that many people would go for it. That's kind of the direction we are going .

• Like 1

Boots a little bigger leave more space for fluffy wool socks to keep feet warm and wiggle the toes to keep blood flowing.

I carry in a backpacking stove and a 2 cup pot to fix warm apple cider and a cup of soup on really cold days for all day hunts.

Use a neck gaiter after hiking in - keeps drafts out while sitting.

Hot seat - beats a cold rock or cold stand seat. I put a caribiner on mine to clip it to my belt.

Gets windy and really cold - face mask or double-knit hat with built-in face mask and a mega warmer on lower back by kidneys.

Really cold days I use gauntlet style gloves to eliminate drafts at the wrists and put hand warmers in them.

Mild days, wear fleece half gloves.

Who has some tricks to staying warm?  No interested in the typical stuff, Layers, Hard and Toe Warmers, Trying not to Sweat.....

Who has unusual but useful ways of staying warm at the 5+ hour mark.  When it's 25-30 deg or colder I'm having a hard time making it past 3-4 hours.  My routine is dressing as lite as possible until heading into the woods.  I even wear sneakers and change my socks until I'm ready to head into the woods.  

I am a fan of Duofold thermal underwear. I wear a fleece top and bottom over my thermal underwear. I wear wool over the fleece. My wool coat has a hood  built into into it. I wear synthetic wool blend socks.

Where I become non-typical for staying warm is this. A cheap synthetic sleeping bag from Gander Mtn on sale for $20. It packs in small and is not heavy. Heater body suit is great but $400 is a lot of coin. The sleeping bag packs in the same size and keeps me warm all day. When it gets dirty I wash it. The only bad thing is it is a bit noisy for moving but not unmanageable.