Loading deer alone...

growalot

Today as usual I had no one around to help...and hey. not a youngin any more. So loading the deer up into even the Gator bed can be a challenge...but I saw a trick that works with trucks as well...I pulled up to a tree very close. Centered it on Gator then took the long rope I brought and tied one end to the tree as High as the roof line. I then swung it over the roof of the Gator in the center. I pulled the deer up as high as I could making sure the rack and head were well above the lowered tail gate...Now on the Gator I have an auto lift bed so this made it easier, but I tied the rope around the deers neck...got in and slowly backed straight up toward the deer...You need to do this in stages. I had to go back and tie the legs up to get shoulders above tailgate ...then it was easy going from there. Backing toward the buck was like putting a spatula under a grilled sandwich and lifting. I didn't have to do a bunch of heavy lifting.

• Like 3

in the tool bag on my 4 wheeler I bring a 12' ratchet strap and a 2" pulley. I guess more of a snatch block but have done it with just the ratchet strap. Now this strap is what I use to tie down the deer to the front rack once it is on there. I drag the deer to a tree, put my front bumper against the tree. Stand on the rack and put the ratchet strap around as high as I can get it, put one hook into the eye of the other hook and tighten it up. That leaves one hook kind of sticking out to hang the pulley off of. now I have a winch so it is kind of cheating but cable up to the pulley and down to the deer. pick up by all 4 feet and lay on the rack.

Today as usual I had no one around to help...and hey. not a youngin any more. So loading the deer up into even the Gator bed can be a challenge...but I saw a trick that works with trucks as well...I pulled up to a tree very close. Centered it on Gator then took the long rope I brought and tied one end to the tree as High as the roof line. I then swung it over the roof of the Gator in the center. I pulled the deer up as high as I could making sure the rack and head were well above the lowered tail gate...Now on the Gator I have an auto lift bed so this made it easier, but I tied the rope around the deers neck...got in and slowly backed straight up toward the deer...You need to do this in stages. I had to go back and tie the legs up to get shoulders above tailgate ...then it was easy going from there. Backing toward the buck was like putting a spatula under a grilled sandwich and lifting. I didn't have to do a bunch of heavy lifting.

keep an eye out at harbor freight. they usually have 12 volt winches that are rated for like 2500# or more for $90. Mount that baby on the front edge of the gator bed and up they go...lol

http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I like to grab the front legs with one hand and the back legs with the other and then use a spinning throwing motion like a hammer or shot put.  Much more easily done if you kill small deer or "suit case" deer as one friend calls them.  Watch out for antlers as you start the spin.

• Like 5

keep an eye out at harbor freight. they usually have 12 volt winches that are rated for like 2500# or more for $90. Mount that baby on the front edge of the gator bed and up they go...lol

http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html

I just bought a backup winch at Harbor Freight for $49.95 + tax . Their price now with coupon is $59.99 for that 2500# capacity winch . Still a good deal and it has a remote .

• Like 1

I like to grab the front legs with one hand and the back legs with the other and then use a spinning throwing motion like a hammer or shot put.  Much more easily done if you kill small deer or "suit case" deer as one friend calls them.  Watch out for antlers as you start the spin.

sounds easy coming from a guy built like a linebacker....

• Like 1