Remington, Ruger, or Savage?

So I've been wanting to pick up a bolt rifle in 7mm-08. The gun shops around me have current stock of a Savage model 11 (combo w/scope) for $400, a Ruger American for $320 and a Remington SPS for $650.

I've got a few Savages and they are tack drivers. My go to deer rifle is a Remmy 700 purchased about 10 years ago, and my only Ruger is a 10/22.

I've heard that Remington's quality has slipped in the past few years, and I've read fairly good reviews about the Ruger Americans. But I've personally had excellent luck with Savage (except for my 17 WSM, but that's a project that will get better). My Remmy 700 is sub MOA and was that way out of the box.

I was thinking about picking one up on the way home from work tonight so I'm looking for quick input from the experts here. While I consider myself relatively knowledgeable, there's a number of you that have way more experience and insight than I do.

The Remington and Ruger don't have scopes, and I don't think I necessarily care about the scope that would come with the Savage combo as I'd put some decent glass on any one of them.

Thoughts?

I am a big fan of savage products, as I have always had good luck with them.  I looked at the Ruger, but it felt kind of "cheap" to me compared to the Savage.  That may just be because I am used to the Savage feel.

The only negative that I have about the Savage is the plastic magazine.  It has never caused an issue, just wish it wasn't plastic.

Makes of rifle are like makes of trucks...  Everyone has their brand...  Savage is mine, as they always work for me.

• Like 2

I am in no way an expert on rifles. But I do have a Savage Axis in 7mm-08 that I was given for Christmas last year. This is my first rifle and I did do a little trigger work and replaced the scope with better glass. Shot a lot with it all summer and it is a very accurate gun. From a lead sled I can get sub one inch clover leafs at 100 yards, and don't consider myself to be a great shot. I shoot Federal Nosler BT in 140 grains but just about anything I ran through it shot well. I'm super happy with it for deer hunting. For the money and a couple small upgrades it's perfect for me. Got my first rifle kill with it this season as well! I'm sure the Ruger and Rem are good as well but I have never shot either of them.

• Like 1

I had a Remington 700 SPS-V in 223 that was a great rifle. I sold it a couple of years ago and bought a 700 VTR in 308. The VTR is similar to the SPS, just a different barrel. Great guns. The only complaint I have is the matte finish tends to get this rusty looking haze to it if you dont keep it cleaned constantly. Ill be curing that with a Cerakote job on mine. Both rifles are tack drivers. My 223 would shoot almost through the same hole with factory ammo at 100 yards, and Id hit golf balls all day long at 200. My 308 is sub-moa at 100 with factory ammo.

• Like 1

This the one you mean?

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-11/111-Trophy-Hunter-XP-Rifle-with-Scope-Combo/product/1204110500547/

If so, I own this bad boy in a 30-06. Also if so 400.00 is a great price for that. If its not the exact one, then Ill cast a vote for savage. I am not an expert by any means, but this rifle does its job and "feels good" on my shoulder.  No complaints really. I don't use it for 200+ yard shots. Mostly I use it in close ranges 100 yards or less.  I did an impulse buy, which is something I never do. I saw it, wanted a rifle, it was on sale and was a southpaw which I wanted. I grabbed it up. No complaints except I should have held out for a 7mm08. The kick with my RA infested shoulders is not fun. 

I have owned it 2 seasons now and popped its cherry a few weeks ago with a very nice 6pt.  First season I didn't even see a deer to shoot which is another story.

Good luck and I would think you cant go wrong with a Savage, or the others for that matter..

EDIT: Let me add one thing. I have a youth savage axis in 7mm08 for the wife (pink camo.. nice gun for her) It is not an accutrigger. Unless you want to work on the trigger, hold out for a savage with the accutrigger, if you go for Savage. Her trigger was something like 9 lb from the factory. Its an easy thing to cut down, but makes me nervous and still is not as good as my factory accutrigger even after "adjusting".

Edited by Dan.NY
  • Like 1

I have never liked the feel of savages and I HATE the accutriggers and what ever ruger calls their copy of it. I have 2 ruger Americans and they are shooters for sure. Remington has undoubtedly let their quality slip. For the price of the remington you could get a Tikka t3 and in my opinion Its the best rifle in that price range and better than many that are more expensive.

• Like 4

I bought a Savage 14 American Classic 7-08 4 years ago, put on a Redfield Revolution scope. Shoots cheap factory ammo at .87" groups. last year a Savage 110  30-06 package with the Nikon BDC scope. Shoots premium ammo into .69" groups. I like the Nikon scope much better than the Redfield and see no reason to upgrade, unless you want more magnification. I am thrilled with the both of them. I think savage has a rebate on them right now as well.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy any of the guns you list. I would have said the Ruger American would be my last choice but  a friend of mine purchased one last year in 30-06 and I was really impressed with the way it shot, especially for the coin. I would go with the one that feels the best to you in your hands.

• Like 3

Tikka or howa 1500. I have the tikka (howa 1500 reciever sako barrel) and is a shooter. Love this gun so much I find it hard to take any other into the woods for deer. My wife has a .243 that is light and drives tacks but I can't not take this rifle out. Its trigger is the best i have shot (including save accu-junk, remington 700 SPS and BDL, Winchester XPR?)

Just buy the tikka t3 you won't have buyers remorse i promise.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 2

I believe the Ruger American is the best value for the money.  It is very accurate as well.  If I were in your position I'd buy the Ruger and add my own scope.  That way I could get the best scope for the type of hunting I'd do with it as well.

• Like 1

Ruger American for me.  I own a .308 American as well as a 700SPS .308.  Nikkon on both rifles.  Both are tack drivers, but I'm only willing to truck the ruger through the woods.  

For the prices, I'm not going to bang up a $650 rifle in the woods when I can bang up one that costs a lot less and does the job just as well.  Plus, the Ruger is much lighter, shorter and way more maneuverable.  Shoots <1" @ 100yds with 150 grain Remmy Express Core Lokt. (tried Fusion and a couple winchester styles, but the Core Lokt shot more consistently).

The mag feels loose, and makes me a bit nervous, but a few hundred rounds and still no issues.

My hunting buddy just recently purchased a Savage 11 combo. Hated the scope and switched it out immediately for a ProStaff.  He loves the gun, but I have no experience with it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Please do everybody a favor and report just how good your Ruger shoots.   I bought a Ruger Hawkeye in 7mm-08 and am very disappointed in its accuracy. I have taken the rifle to 2 different smiths. After 2 rebeds and using every other machination 60 years of combined gun smithing knowledge...I still have a nice looking rifle that I will not take hunting.

My savage 110C in 243 shoots great and my advice for anybody on a budget is....BUY a Savage. Right out of the box you will actually be able to hit what you are aiming at.

• Like 1