Just About As Cool As It Gets....................

Lawdwaz

So some of you may remember my excitement this past fall when I got not one, but two bobcats on my trail cameras.  IIRC it was about three weeks apart and they definitely looked like different 'cats and only 800 yards (WAG).  None of the guys I know in the area have ever seen one or had one on camera and that was pretty neat to me.

A friend in the area is a pretty serious trapper and just yesterday we were discussing how cool it'd be if he or his buddy trapped one but obviously you can't target them, it would just be caught in a set for fox or coyote of course.  Well, darn the luck, he got one today!  

_20160118_133121_zpsk9lqgdsz.jpg

KIMG0124_zpspg4sz77s.jpg

After a quick trip back home to get a board with a "V" notch cut in one side of it and round up his buddy to take pics, assist in the release and stand guard (!!) they got the female bobcat out of the trap no worse for wear.  She scrambled back and jumped up on an old pallet and sat there, just feet away and watched as my buddy reset the trap!  It took about 5 minutes to get things squared away and she sat there the entire time just watching.

KIMG0137_zpsjn6jrzi4.jpg

After they finished up at this set they ventured up the hill to check another set and a red fox was in that one.  The funny thing is, yesterday I spent about 3 hours within feet or yards of these two sets, looking for the "right" tree to hang a stand in for next fall's archery hunt!  I ran the chain saw for probably 30 minutes while clearing some downed trees as close as 30-40 yards too and had the 4wheeler there also. 

Obviously bobcats and fox think I smell pretty good!

• Like 19

How'd u know female?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubting my friends word isn't for me to do. :)

First off there were what lookied like two OTHER sets of tracks on the pond ice just to the right of the set, maybe 15' away.  My buddy said he's pretty sure they were from two other youngsters that were traveling with mom at the time of the catch and, I'm assuming that either she rolled in the set and he saw a lack of onions or as she sat there in front of him after the release he could determine the sex pretty accurately.  I'd bet money on it being a female...............

• Like 1

Doubting my friends word isn't for me to do. :)

First off there were what lookied like two OTHER sets of tracks on the pond ice just to the right of the set, maybe 15' away. My buddy said he's pretty sure they were from two other youngsters that were traveling with mom at the time of the catch and, I'm assuming that either she rolled in the set and he saw a lack of onions or as she sat there in front of him after the release he could determine the sex pretty accurately. I'd bet money on it being a female...............

Maybe based on track size, or size in general. I'm pretty sure they don't have a ballbag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wrong on that, its 91 fox.

6 coyote, approx. 125 muskrats, 12 mink and 30 coon.  And the 'coon aren't in the crosshairs............

Great pics. And by the way, your trapper-friend really knows what the heck he's doing. That's an awful good tally. He must have a heck of a long trap-line and some darn good critter-country. Any idea how many hours he puts into it each day?

Great pics. And by the way, your trapper-friend really knows what the heck he's doing. That's an awful good tally. He must have a heck of a long trap-line and some darn good critter-country. Any idea how many hours he puts into it each day?

I don't know the actual distance he travels but I'd guess Hemlock to Springwater and I bet he can make the run in 2-4 hours?? Skinning is the big pain but part of the deal.

That's cool, nice pics! Thanks!  Don't know why Biz thinks they would not have a ball bag, other cats do, where else would they carry them?  Maybe a purse?  jk,   lol 

I don't believe you would be able to see it on the hoof.