Supplimental feeding

wooly

Turnips in my food plot still untouched- they must be feeding on something good!!

try this  ;D ;D

•  
  • 3 cups diced peeled turnips

• 1/4 cup water

• 1 cube chicken bouillon

• 1 tablespoon butter, or more as needed

• 2 tablespoons white sugar

•   Directions     

• Place the turnips into a skillet with the water and chicken bouillon cube over medium heat, and simmer until the water has evaporated and the turnips are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the butter, let melt, and sprinkle on the sugar. Gently cook and stir the turnips until the butter and sugar cook into a brown, sticky coating on the turnips, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

[/q]

I have one that is even better...but similiar

•  
  • 3 cups diced peeled turnips

• 1/4 cup water

• 1 cube chicken bouillon

•   Directions 

• Add the bouillon cube to the quarter cup of boiling water....throw out the Turnips and drink the soup....

Turnips......YUCK!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UH OH.. Not another conspiracy theorist in the group...YEP.. I'm sure the DEC relishes in the thought of huge winter kill... Come ON!

Well just think about it, when did we start seeing less deer ? Not while people were feeding deer, only after the CWD and then the ban on feeding deer. I don't know how many hunters have expressed their dissatisfaction with the deer management in N.Y the main complaint not seeing deer after hunting all day. They didn't complain about not killing a deer it was not seeing any. I think there is a conspiracy in the DEC, the facts are the facts. It is certainly that way where i hunt and we have private property.

Dave

You can change your tactics all you want but if there are no deer it doesn't matter. You can't see what's not there. Your area may be one of those areas that has lots of deer be thankful. Many areas have no agriculture to attract and hold deer. These are the areas I am talking about, This isn't my first deer hunt, I have been at it since 1970 and I have seen the changes. I have taken my share of deer, I don't need to get a deer but I like to see deer in the woods for the considerable time I put in. I share my results with the DEC by filling out a Bow hunters citing report.

Dave

I am 46 but I remember reg's against feeding deer and such on land inhabited by deer as far back as I can remember.  Hasn't that been around at lest 30 years?

To quote the DEC supplemental feeding of deer was banned in 2002, because of CWD. Though they were opposed to supplemental feeding it wasn't banned prior to 2002.. Please quote the regs you are referring to. If it states feeding deer was banned before 2002.

Dave

I am 46 but I remember reg's against feeding deer and such on land inhabited by deer as far back as I can remember.  Hasn't that been around at lest 30 years?

I thought I remembered reading about some old "granny-type" that was in big trouble with the DEC for feeding deer somewhere up in the Adirondacks way back in the mid or late 80's. Her feeding was basically causing a yarding situation. She was told repeatedly to stop, and didn't. How it ever turned out I never did hear.

However, if I was asked to prove it, I doubt that I could ever find any reference to that article now.

"The lack of seeing deer is more about the style of hunting and pesimistic attitude of hunters than  any lack of whitetails in NY. "

Maybe where you hunt but wher I am there are definitely a lot less deer now then when I started.

There is no question that deer populations move up and down, primarily as a result of antlerless permit allocations. I have seen both extremes here in our area. So when someone tells me that they have a shortage of deer or an overpopulation, I have no problem believing them. Lol ..... actually it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for me to contradict them anyway since I don't hunt every locality across the state. But like I say, I have seen the cycles that deer populations go through for close to 50 years, and I have seen the huge ridiculous deer yards over by Honeoye Lake and I have seen years of extreme scarcity so I know that at certain times, both extremes can happen.

I thought I remembered reading about some old "granny-type" that was in big trouble with the DEC for feeding deer somewhere up in the Adirondacks way back in the mid or late 80's. Her feeding was basically causing a yarding situation. She was told repeatedly to stop, and didn't. How it ever turned out I never did hear.

However, if I was asked to prove it, I doubt that I could ever find any reference to that article now.

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/120305DeerLady.html

When I searched I kept finding references to her "plight" on some anti's site to ban hunting.

Baiting has always been illegal. Feeding off season was not until CWD.

I think deer are dispersed very different than 25 35 years ago. Back then you could hunt on others property more readily. Everything was not posted. Hunters did not hunt out of tree stands or pop up blinds. They moved more thus moving deer. There was more hunting spread out not anymore. On public land now the deer that stay have hunters so patterned they have the advantage and the others move onto lands with no hunters.

If you happen to be able to hunt lower pressured areas or work a bit harder or smarter in public land you will see more. But if you hunt like everyone else you are at a disadvantage.

Besides just DMP's I would the think the herd would fluctuate due to harsh winters that follow poor mast years.  Hard snow winters where the yotes can move better the deer, increase in yote and bear populations, new housing development, decreased farming, heavily logged areas.  My point is there are many factors the increase and decrease the herds.

PS also areas that are heavy in turnip farming tend to chase away the deer too  :D

Interesting article on feeding deer in the winter. Lots of interesting articles on food plots and feeding also on this site.

http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/deerhabitatmanagement/winterfeeding.htm

I Have also seen several articles about how summer supplemental feeding is also a waste of time and money unless you have a really overpopulated deer herd, then a good schelaking of the herd would benefit them more than feeding. They can get all the nutrition they need through natural vegetation during the summer unless there is some sort of drought episode.

Here ya go Doc- you'll like this one,lol

http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/issues-deerlady-20040626.html

Well now I am really confused. I thought the article was back in the 80's and was about a lady up in the Adirondacks. It was a pretty similar story though. It could be that it was a different situation, but more likely, time has just scrambled up the time and location on me....Lol. Thanks for finding that article.

Doc,

The story you are referring to was near Tupper Lake, actually seavey corners about 8 miles south of Tupper.  She had been feeding deer for a long time.  There was a local ordinance to stop feeding which was passed because she was causing problems with deer crossing State rt 3 and 56 getting hit in a high number. She was warned to stop several time before they actually ticketed her. She lived at the intersection of two state highways with lots of traffic.  Her problems were because of a township ordinance that was passed. I live aboutr 45 miutes from there and I remember when I was younget going up there on a sat afternoon to see the deer.  There would be 75-100 deer in her feeding area. 

"The lack of seeing deer is more about the style of hunting and pesimistic attitude of hunters than  any lack of whitetails in NY. "

Maybe where you hunt but wher I am there are definitely a lot less deer now then when I started.

There is no question that deer populations move up and down, primarily as a result of antlerless permit allocations. I have seen both extremes here in our area. So when someone tells me that they have a shortage of deer or an overpopulation, I have no problem believing them. Lol ..... actually it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for me to contradict them anyway since I don't hunt every locality across the state. But like I say, I have seen the cycles that deer populations go through for close to 50 years, and I have seen the huge ridiculous deer yards over by Honeoye Lake and I have seen years of extreme scarcity so I know that at certain times, both extremes can happen.

And my point is if you keep hunting in an area where you think there is less deer.. then you will continue to see less deer. I do not agree that there is ever a shortage of deer... that would be a relative statement... what I consider a shortage and what you consider a shortage might be very different. An overpopulation is much easier to see due to the usually damage that the additional deer in gthe habitat create.

And I believe that too many hunters blame their lack of success on the amount of deer they have seen.. I say that if you are having trouble seeing deer either change your tactics or change where you are hunting.

It would be like saying there are less fish in a stream because you didn't get any bites today.. when in reality it was because you weren't doing the right things to catch them or picked a bad day for catching fish... (although I don't think there ever is a bad day to be fishing :) )

Doc,

The story you are referring to was near Tupper Lake, actually seavey corners about 8 miles south of Tupper.  She had been feeding deer for a long time.  There was a local ordinance to stop feeding which was passed because she was causing problems with deer crossing State rt 3 and 56 getting hit in a high number. She was warned to stop several time before they actually ticketed her. She lived at the intersection of two state highways with lots of traffic.  Her problems were because of a township ordinance that was passed. I live aboutr 45 miutes from there and I remember when I was younget going up there on a sat afternoon to see the deer.  There would be 75-100 deer in her feeding area.

The deer yard in an area called the big T near Moose River to this day, back when I snowmobiled many would stop there and feed them from their hands.

There was also a lady in Benson, I think thats what it was called, the had the same issue and was not allowed to feed in the winter anymore. We used to drive up there to see them in the winter yards, they even had a donation box for people who wanted to help pay to feed them.

I would like to, but my concern is that if the deer congregate near my food and we get heavy winter accumulation, they may not be in the area they should be (for shelter, water, natural food, etc) and I could do more harm than good. We should not be a substitute for what old mother nature intended.

nyantler. Yes we might have different ideas about what a shortage is. I have been hunting this land which has been in my family for 30 years. I don't feel like leaving. I don't measure success by shooting a deer. I have my son hunting now and it would be nice if he thought he had a chance at shooting a deer, but when your out there for days on end and the only thing you see is a doe and a fawn at the end of a day it gets hard to persuade a kid there's a buck coming soon. The tactics are irrelevant when you can walk 300+ acres and not see any fresh tracks in a day.

nyantler. Yes we might have different ideas about what a shortage is. I have been hunting this land which has been in my family for 30 years. I don't feel like leaving. I don't measure success by shooting a deer. I have my son hunting now and it would be nice if he thought he had a chance at shooting a deer, but when your out there for days on end and the only thing you see is a doe and a fawn at the end of a day it gets hard to persuade a kid there's a buck coming soon. The tactics are irrelevant when you can walk 300+ acres and not see any fresh tracks in a day.

Orion you are right..If there is snow on the ground and there are no tracks over 300 acres I would agree there are no deer. We may not see deer, but they do leave tracks.

Dave