New Boots...

So I went out today looking for a rabbit or two and ended up getting one of my boots cut up good on a piece of barbed wire hidden under the snow.  I was considering trying to fix it with a rubber tube patch but its in a bad place on a bend and close to the sole.  Luckily I had a small roll of duct tape in my bag to at least get me back to my truck without getting my feet too wet.

Anyway, my question to all you fine folks is:  What brand do you recommend for mainly fall and winter use and very little openly wetland areas.  I don't want to go crazy expensive but looking for something with comfortable removable insulated inserts and quality lace eyelets.  Somewhere in the $150 range.

My favorite cold weather waterproof boots are the US Army, black  "mickey" boots.   Sportsman's guide sells them new/unissued for $80 or used/reconditioned for a bit less.   They are quite warm and very durable, being made to US government specs to hold up for combat usage.   They do not have a removable liner though.   They are kind of goofy looking, but very comfortable to wear and walk around in.   Since using them the last couple seasons, I doubt I will ever go back to "normal" winter hunting boots.  I have never had any that offered comparable performance, even at much higher cost.          

LL Bean Maine hunting boots, mine are 25 or so years old. Just got them resoled for 30 bucks.they will last me to I get planted. For cold weather its hard to be 1K gram insulated rubber boots.

Edited by sbuff

Not necessarily looking for rubber tips, its just what I picked up a couple years ago for ATV riding and figured I would use them for hunting this year.  They held up great until i felt that barb rip through and cut the side of my foot.  I probably shouldn't have tried yanking my foot out when i felt resistance... I thought it was just weeds until i felt that sting.

I took a stupid shot as a bunny maybe 80+ yards and just missed him.  I was tracking another set of tracks when i cut the boot.  Made for a crappy walk back to the truck with a small cut and wet socks :(

@wolc123 - is that what they are officially called?  "Mickey boots"?  I'll have to look them up.  I only mentioned the liners in the event they do get submerged and wet inside or if they get moisture from sweating... its easy to take the liner out to let them dry.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies.  I'll look up some reviews and probably go out shopping tomorrow.

I have a pair of Sportsman Guide Gear 2400 gram insulated rubber boots which seem pretty good after 2 yrs. also they have a 100% replacement warranty. I sent back an older 1600 gram pair that dry rotted & they sent me the new upgraded pair no questions asked as long as you have the receipt.  They also just came out with a Guide Gear boot that is like a Muck boot.  You might want to look at their Guide Gear boots, many are on sale now.

I had a pair of Cabela's 800 insulated for years and years. They cracked at a flex point. I got back $60 in credit and applied to some camo Muck boots. Hunted in gun season the last 2 seasons and have liked them. My Cabela's had a bigger footprint so to speak. These are easier and less cumbersome to walk in

• Like 1

I bought the Muck Artic Pro Boots this year..  A lot of people rave about them and they are very comfortable/warm.

The only negative is that if you like to tuck your pants in, they fit VERY tight around the calf, enough so that I would not buy them again.

Always have used the Cabelas rubber booths with 200 grams of insulation and would go back to those in a heart beat

• Like 1

I have had great luck with Lacrosse and Wolverine. I have a pair of Lacrosse non insulated, that I wear early bow season and for scouting, they must be 20 years old at least. They are finally showing some cracks but not leaking yet. I have a pair of Wolverines that are about 15 yrs old. The cloth camo outer layer is ripped up but they are still solid. 

Browning's suck, IMHO… Had a pair, that weren't cheap, and lasted me maybe three seasons.

I had a pair of Cabela's 800 insulated for years and years. They cracked at a flex point. I got back $60 in credit and applied to some camo Muck boots. Hunted in gun season the last 2 seasons and have liked them. My Cabela's had a bigger footprint so to speak. These are easier and less cumbersome to walk in

Same exact experience as you.

@wolc123 - is that what they are officially called?  "Mickey boots"?  I'll have to look them up.  I only mentioned the liners in the event they do get submerged and wet inside or if they get moisture from sweating... its easy to take the liner out to let them dry.

Many call them "Mickey Mouse Boots" and IIRC they have been made by a company called "Bata".

I've had two pairs over the years; one black and one white.  Neither one thrilled me though and both were sold at garage sales.  Keep in mind, they are rubber boots and would have suffered the same fate as your rubber boots via the brawny barbed wire. :)

Oh yea......no liners in these babies.

I have a paid of Mucks, and they are not comfortable at all. I haven't worn them much, but for what I paid, I can't complain. Got them from LL Bean for cheap.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Isn't LL Bean the ones with the lifetime guarantee on everything ? I think that's the place my buddy used to shop at thrift shops back in his broke college days. Buy stuff cheap and send back to Bean and they'd cut him a check. Cheating the system ,yes. But he needed beer money Never needed a receipt. They'd pay the lowest selling price in reimbursement

Isn't LL Bean the ones with the lifetime guarantee on everything ? I think that's the place my buddy used to shop at thrift shops back in his broke college days. Buy stuff cheap and send back to Bean and they'd cut him a check. Cheating the system ,yes. But he needed beer money Never needed a receipt. They'd pay the lowest selling price in reimbursement

Yes, Bean has a 100% Lifetime Satisfaction on all their products. I have an account with them, so they look up my orders and refund/credit accordingly.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I've used Rockies for many, many years with good results. Just started breaking in a new pair of 1200 gr. yesterday, on a hunt with my grandson.

I bought a pair of Rockies last October and love them. They are warm and feel great on the feet.

• Like 1

My Bean hunting boots were 25 plus years worn out treads but everything else was good boot wise. When I brought them in to the store to be sent out to be resoled for 30 bucks or so the store manager said just grab a new pair as they have life time warranty. I said I didn't feel right doing so as anything that is 25 years old has lasted more then expected for a boot. He commended me on doing what I did. He said as stated above many abuse this privilege daily. I would hate to see the policy stop for something that actually needs replacing for legitimate reasons

My Bean hunting boots were 25 plus years worn out treads but everything else was good boot wise. When I brought them in to the store to be sent out to be resoled for 30 bucks or so the store manager said just grab a new pair as they have life time warranty. I said I didn't feel right doing so as anything that is 25 years old has lasted more then expected for a boot. He commended me on doing what I did. He said as stated above many abuse this privilege daily. I would hate to see the policy stop for something that actually needs replacing for legitimate reasons

I found the LLBean Maine Hunting shoe to be about the worst hunting shoe available. 

Absolutely no arch support and the "chain tread" delivered not a bit of traction and would be wore out in only a couple years.  Ever try and climb a very slight incline with those boots?  Cold weather, forget it......... 

Yea, they were fashionable back in the late 70's and 80's when I used them (multiple pairs) but function over fashion any day.

Much better choices these days.

I do love Wolverine ..though...I have had a few problems with different styles and heel blisters...I've now learned..If you find a perfect pair of boots(style) worn them a couple of weeks...go buy several more pairs immediately!...Every time they stop making the ones I love with out fail!!

I found the LLBean Maine Hunting shoe to be about the worst hunting shoe available.

Absolutely no arch support and the "chain tread" delivered not a bit of traction and would be wore out in only a couple years. Ever try and climb a very slight incline with those boots? Cold weather, forget it.........

Yea, they were fashionable back in the late 70's and 80's when I used them (multiple pairs) but function over fashion any day.

Much better choices these days.